Stainless steel pump help keep it up.

To standard.  I only have a glass of red wine a day with my dinner.  You have to take the cork out and put the top end in the bottle.  Probably bacteria on that.  Only lasts a day or two.  So I bought a stainless steel pump and two rubber corks with a reverse air lock.  Works great for 3 days.  Have not tried longer than that. 

Red wine frequently has added sulphur dioxide as a preservative. For those with allergies, a drop of hydrogen peroxide solution will convert the sulphur dioxide to harmless sulphate.

Oxygen is what causes red wine to degrade. Flushing the head space with pure nitrogen is the best way to preserve wine, although the OP's technique would slow down the process.

Its not the cork / bacteria that makes the wine go bad after opening the wine, but the air that gets inside it. With the pump you bought, it sucks out the air giving the wine a bit more shelflife

34 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Red wine frequently has added sulphur dioxide as a preservative. For those with allergies, a drop of hydrogen peroxide solution will convert the sulphur dioxide to harmless sulphate.

Oxygen is what causes red wine to degrade. Flushing the head space with pure nitrogen is the best way to preserve wine, although the OP's technique would slow down the process.

I've tried the nitrogen but was not able to locate a cheap source in Thailand.  The pump and rubber stoppers were only a couple of hundred baht.

Archived