Beggars face fine and jail under new law

snoop1130

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The new law required beggars to admit to life quality development and protection centres or quit panhandling. Once they are admitted to such centres, they would not be allowed to leave the centres without permission or face a maximum one-month jail term and/or a maximum fine of Bt10,000. 

Wow! Beggar prison.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

So helping dogs is more important than helping people. Is this what the new law means?images-39.jpg

The dog knows who gets the money in Thailand.  

16 hours ago, off road pat said:

"If people wish to help the beggars, they can make donations to the MSDHS projects for vocational promotion for beggars," he said......

And who will guarantee the money won't disappear into the wrong pockets ??? Thailand has a Corruption reputation you know !!!

Perhaps the money gets funneled to the Dead Friends Foundation of Thailand which then buys watches to loan a certain subset of Thai beggars who Can't possibly make enough money to purchase their own.  Those needy beggars must be cared for, of course, 'eh?   :whistling:

9 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

People who are fined in Thailand can serve jail time in lieu of paying the fine.  I can't remember if the rate is 500 or 200 baht per day off of your fine for time served.  So a 10,000 baht fine would be 'paid off' with either 20 or 50 days in jail. 

So soon the Thai prison system will be packed to the gills with drug uses and beggars.  Maybe something is wrong here?  Maybe?

No. There is a guy who only comes out in poring rain with one leg dragging his body through the muck on Sukhumvit. I've seen him get 500 baht a time from gullible tourists and he is making big $
He can go get work sitting down in a factory but can make 10 more in the rain.

There are very few genuine beggers
Who deserve street time.

Indeed, rain is his favourite weather, probably he glides better over the muddy stones. He is performing an act as there is no reason for his crawling. People who give him 500 Thb have intellectual issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, LongTang said:

Are Beggars even allowed to post in this forum? Lucky you for now..

If someone gives them money, then part of it goes to feed the children and you can't argue with that.

Most of the children are there because nobody in this world gives a damn about them so its not like they left a comfortable and safe life behind.

If child services would like to take the children to a safe and caring place than that will be absolutely awesome ! But as long as they don't, At least some people(NOT YOU) help put some food in their mouth, even if much of what they give goes to scummy people.

You feed buffalo and ox too so that they can work for you.

The children receive food and go back to work the streets working in the service of the equivalent of modern day slavers.  Of course they get enough rice porridge to keep them going.  However, that emaciated look tends to really tug at the heart-strings of middle-class farangs - who give - and in so doing perpetuate this heinous form of human trafficking.  

9 hours ago, madmen said:

No. There is a guy who only comes out in poring rain with one leg dragging his body through the muck on Sukhumvit. I've seen him get 500 baht a time from gullible tourists and he is making big $

There are very few genuine beggers
Who deserve street time.

Enjoy sitting in your high tower of wealth and intellectual might, patronizing the inferior people that crawl the streets..

And if talking about Educating oneself as you stated earlier, I suggest you do some reading about Eugenics in the turn of the 19th century in US and Europe and its devastating consequences, especially under authoritarian regimes.

You will find Your rhetoric is a very slippery slope that can lead to some unintentional dark places..

4 hours ago, connda said:

You feed buffalo and ox too so that they can work for you.

The children receive food and go back to work the streets working in the service of the equivalent of modern day slavers.  Of course they get enough rice porridge to keep them going.  However, that emaciated look tends to really tug at the heart-strings of middle-class farangs - who give - and in so doing perpetuate this heinous form of human trafficking.  

First invest in some decent child Welfare and protection services, then you can come back to rant your mantra..

Pomp and ceremony on a grand scale while people starve under appalling conditions

Individual wealth is astounding and those holding it are held in high regard, great inequality is very visible, 

Where are the services to assist the poor, especially in rural areas?

18 hours ago, madmen said:

I've seen this guy before (assuming it's the same guy). He puts on a show for sure with his crawling on the floor. He could easily sit up or stand up, but crawling gets more baht... He looks pathetic but that's the point. I would be surprised if he isn't making a few thousand baht a day with his act.

Archived