Best family SUV

So we need to upgrade and the two kids are getting bigger.... Been looking at so many cars/SUVs. Don’t really want a Fortuna or Pejaro - outside these two any thoughts on what the best all-round family/SUV is in Thailand? Can afford up to about 1.5 million. Cheers!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/2/2019 at 7:55 AM, cms22 said:

Don’t really want a Fortuna or Pejaro

You excluded the Pajero, can you say why? I can understand if you don't like the way it looks or if it is too big. I am in the same process as you, looking for an SUV or MPV vehicle also.

I have watched all the head to head comparisons on YouTube and the Pajero always comes first. But as I said I understand if you don't like the looks or if it is too big,

Unless there is an economic incentive on the MUx or the TrailBlazer, If I decide on an SUV ,I will be going for the Pajero. I am also considering, PMVs and Minivans. (we have a small car for every day city driving). So Far for the MPV we are leaning toward the Honda BRV, and and for minivan the Hyundai H1.

I suggest you go on Youtube and watch the many reviews on the different models. It will help you narrow things down.

Good luck. 

On 5/3/2019 at 5:46 PM, DavisH said:

1.5M I would suggest the crv 5 seat AWD for 1.49million. You can get 40K discount + ceramic coat, film, etc. I got the crv awd diesel. 

A nice vehicle and if you want a small SUV that would fit the bill especially now that they have brought the diesel engine. We have had the Everest T+ since 2015 and really like it ... I haven't seen much here about the later models ... reading an Aussie forum many like them but have had a few problems with ad-blue, which is not used here, and when towing those great big 'house things.

The Everest is a really nice ride ... someone on here described it as 'boat like' ...

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

A nice vehicle and if you want a small SUV that would fit the bill especially now that they have brought the diesel engine. We have had the Everest T+ since 2015 and really like it ... I haven't seen much here about the later models ... reading an Aussie forum many like them but have had a few problems with ad-blue, which is not used here, and when towing those great big 'house things.

The Everest is a really nice ride ... someone on here described it as 'boat like' ...

Thanks for your comment. I actually find there is more room in the front 2 rows of the crv than the pajero. I drove the pajero over 500 km over new year. I'm 6 ft 3 and I can easily sit in the second row behind my driving position. When I sat in the pajero and I slid the seat back it stopped before I got to my normal driving position. The rear window in the pajero looks like a port hole by the way they put shading around the edge of the glass. The sspension on the pajero is quite bouncy though. It seems under damped to me, especially if the roads are rough. Different shocks can fix that. 

The pajero goes quite well though; economy was about 14 km/l on the trip to Kanchanaburi. The crv performance is similar to my butt dyno, but the economy is better (19.4 km/l to Ratchaburi last week), and the wife has been getting 17.2 km/l over the last week around Nonthaburi. 

The Everest is definitely a nice vehicle, but they still have a way to go to convince potential customers to change teams. hey seem to have problems with the quality control of some of their parts. 

3 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Thanks for your comment. I actually find there is more room in the front 2 rows of the crv than the pajero. I drove the pajero over 500 km over new year. I'm 6 ft 3 and I can easily sit in the second row behind my driving position. When I sat in the pajero and I slid the seat back it stopped before I got to my normal driving position. The rear window in the pajero looks like a port hole by the way they put shading around the edge of the glass. The sspension on the pajero is quite bouncy though. It seems under damped to me, especially if the roads are rough. Different shocks can fix that. 

The pajero goes quite well though; economy was about 14 km/l on the trip to Kanchanaburi. The crv performance is similar to my butt dyno, but the economy is better (19.4 km/l to Ratchaburi last week), and the wife has been getting 17.2 km/l over the last week around Nonthaburi. 

The Everest is definitely a nice vehicle, but they still have a way to go to convince potential customers to change teams. hey seem to have problems with the quality control of some of their parts. 

Yes ... in the first year we had the crankshaft sensor fail and the rear oil seal leaking ... both QA issues with the supplier ... since then no problems ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, JAS21 said:

Yes ... in the first year we had the crankshaft sensor fail and the rear oil seal leaking ... both QA issues with the supplier ... since then no problems ...

Which one, the ford or the mitsu? ????

Well it comes down to the fact do you want a tarted up truck or a true SUV.  As someone else posted the Captiva is worth a look and designed as a car, not a pick-up. The Honda CRV is another car and a true SUV although maybe over your budget. The MG GS is worth a look. Around 1.2 million, lots of kit and again designed as a car not as a truck. Plus they will come out to do the routine service at your house which is a bonus if you are out of town. 

The SUV term originated with tarted up trucks, hence the U for utility.  The car based SUVs are usually referred to as crossovers or CUVs.  

Different tools suited to different tasks.  

11 minutes ago, Jitar said:

The SUV term originated with tarted up trucks, hence the U for utility.  The car based SUVs are usually referred to as crossovers or CUVs.  

Different tools suited to different tasks.  

Perhaps you must be a miffed tarted up pick-up driver attempting to justify it as a SUV

FYI

This four-wheel drive version of the Willys Jeep is often credited with being the first SUV. Four-wheel drive versions of the Chevrolet Suburban were introduced for 1955, followed by the International Harvester Travelall in 1956 (credited as being the first full-size SUV) and the Power Wagon Town Wagon in 1957.

or perhaps you think the Jeep was a pick-up ????????????

15 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

Perhaps you must be a miffed tarted up pick-up driver attempting to justify it as a SUV

FYI

This four-wheel drive version of the Willys Jeep is often credited with being the first SUV. Four-wheel drive versions of the Chevrolet Suburban were introduced for 1955, followed by the International Harvester Travelall in 1956 (credited as being the first full-size SUV) and the Power Wagon Town Wagon in 1957.

or perhaps you think the Jeep was a pick-up ????????????

Sorry Geoff, I don't drive a tarted up pickup.  I did have a Pajero Sport Company car about 5 years ago though if that helps your theory.  

Your quote confirms what I said.  The Suburban, etc were all based on Pickup components, just like Fortuners, Everests and Pajero Sports today.

The bit about the Jeep is debatable but nonetheless the early Jeep design has more in common with a pickup than and CUV, e.g. chassis and solid axles and priority on off road capability.  The some armies called them 1/4 ton trucks. 

The original SUVs were pickup based Station Wagon bodies, usually 4x4.  

Claiming a CUV is a 'true" SUV is a bit if a stretch but up to you.   

1 minute ago, Jitar said:

Sorry Geoff, I don't drive a tarted up pickup. 

Your quote confirms what I said.  The Suburban, etc were all based on Pickup components, just like Fortuners, Everests and Pajero Sports today.

The bit about the Jeep is debatable but nonetheless the early Jeeps have more in common with a pickup than and CUV.   

Total nonsense

I have become quite interested in the new Subaru Forester.
Priced quite competitively at 1.1 mil - same range as a Mazda CX-3 or your average pick-up truck.

Not enough face gained on these? They're barely ever mentioned.

7 hours ago, Wigglestick said:

I have become quite interested in the new Subaru Forester.

I drive the 2.0ip, boxer engine, smooth and very quiet. Nice torque although it lags some between 80-140 not much pull..

Nothing that can't be fixed with a chip or ecu overhaul for less that 15,000 thb

Very nice finishing in the interior, has it all I would say..

I would take the X-Trail over a Pajero or Fortuner any day. The Pajero drives like a Bedford truck and is about as noisy. The Fortuner has the worst and most uncomfortable driving position in the world and is underpowered. 

On 5/20/2019 at 2:14 AM, Snow Leopard said:

I would take the X-Trail over a Pajero or Fortuner any day. The Pajero drives like a Bedford truck and is about as noisy. The Fortuner has the worst and most uncomfortable driving position in the world and is underpowered. 

Plus of course the X-Trail is a car designed as an SUV. Not a pick-up with seats in the back.

FYI

https://www.whatcar.com/nissan/x-trail/4x4/review/n51

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 2:21 PM, DavisH said:

The CVT gear:) The standard boxer 2.0 is not known for its power. It lacks the torque needed for a heavy vehicle. 

Correct, up to 70 km it is fine after that is missed the raw power

Nothing that cannot be fixed with a plug and play and ECU resulting in additional 45 HP

10 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Correct, up to 70 km it is fine after that is missed the raw power

Nothing that cannot be fixed with a plug and play and ECU resulting in additional 45 HP

I thought you agreed you should be using "Sport" setting? But 45hp is an OK add on.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I thought you agreed you should be using "Sport" setting? But 45hp is an OK add on.

I'm sure you won't get 45HP from this motor from just an ecu remap/flash/piggyback. It has no turbo and it's not a diesel. I think 10-15HP is reasonable with an exhaust and remap. A unequal length header will make it sound like a wrx at least:) The stock one is equal length. 

I like Subaru a lot. In the UK I have had several Imprezas and one of my current cars is a 2014 Toyota GT86 (a rebranded Subaru BRZ) its a great car.  However I don't think they a great car to own as an auto in Thailand. The NA 2.0 boxer lacks torque at low rpm, the engines run hot and, in particular, the JATCO-derived Lineartronic CVT is weak.

In fact I would avoid any car with a JATCO CVT because they have a poor track record.  Basically nobody repairs CVT's, so choose a good one (Aisin seem to be the best of the bunch).

This website might help help inform your decision. The data comes from used car inspections in the US, but much will be relevant to Thailand:

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Subaru_Forester.html

I'm running an old Camry at the moment (non-CVT auto) - comfortable, not too cumbersome in town and cheap to get fixed anywhere in Thailand.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_Camry.html

Archived