Bangkok: Limit motorcycles to 50 kmph and start training in the kindergarten

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

When it comes to the speed limit that is a good idea!  But the kindergarten thing is a terrible one because first, you need to clarify all the rules and have everyone on the same page as to their definition and execution.

You already are teaching them from Kindergarten, since the factory of death I call it and the major problem there are so many death among motorbikes is the current practice of making an exception of allowing kids to go to and from school with their motorbike this exception allows them to do everything an adult does training coming from another family member who hasn't yet killed themselves pasting on all those bad habits. Take that with the maturity level of these kids which are equal to Kindergarten?

The speed limit for motorcycles is a terrible idea. 

If you look at most of the accident videos in Thailand, they are very rarely caused by speed. Most of them are a result of complete ignorance of basic road rules and common sense. If other vehicles can drive 80km/h and bikes only 50km/h, that's even more dangerous due to the speed differences (think overtaking vehicles, turns, u-turns etc.). The safest way to ride a motorcycle in Thailand is at or slightly above the speed of other traffic. 

There are plenty of roads in Bangkok where 80km/h is perfectly reasonable.

Brilliant minds at work again. How many motorcylists were killed or injured by car drivers doing the wrong thing. I know BKK traffic is insane but not as insane as this proposal.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Also training in motorcycle usage and awareness should start in the kindergarten.

I agree with this because.......it won't be too long after before their riding one. 

Country's run by complete imbeciles.

12 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Stupid!!... ALL traffic should hover around the same speed. Its the difference in speed that creates a lot of accidents. Scooters are slow and cars are fast so most people carelessly feel comfortable pulling to the right then darting through lanes to a U-turn spot being an example. I would never do that. Its suicide. If you cant travel the speed of the traffic you shouldn't be on the road. I say better faster bikes and no stupid old careless ladies should be allowed to ride and the same for any stupid teen that likes to take mirrors off and such.

Scooters in Thailand are not seen as vehicles by it users and more like a way to haul a fat ass around super slow with nothing much to do instead of walking. Think about it!

Completely agree. And the main problem is that "unofficial extra lane left to the road for bikes". The first thing you learn in Germany is: you have a lane! You drive/ride in that lane. In the middle. Regardless if you have a 30km/h slow bike, a 50km/h bike or a 110km/h bike. If someone wants to overtake you: he has to switch the lane.

If you want to be polite, you go to the side of the lane, when it is clear he wants to overtake. You don't drive/ride on an "Ersatz-lane" where everyone thinks (you are an idiot, what are you doing here on a slow bike?) and treats you like an idiot or natural hazard.

Classes may help but kids develop habits based on what they see older people (normally older kids) doing. So although their may be good habits taught they will erode and fail unless an effort is made to correct behavior from older kids and adults. Good start though, the carnage on the roads is unbelievable and indicate the low value for human life it appears to be held by those not impacted.

Arai?

I almost get killed when I try to drive on pace speed.

Taxis and Rottu Van, they all honking and screeching in anger at roadturtles like me.

Ok well, a lit more gas then.

Everybody happy.

Hummm, Another traffic law.

But all the previous ones are not respected and not enforced...

So the only viable solution would be to put speed bumps every 100 meters. This, you have to take notice of...

On 5/3/2019 at 9:17 AM, webfact said:

Also training in motorcycle usage and awareness should start in the kindergarten.

Good idea, given they'll be driving soon after they're primary school age. 

total b    s. 

instead of enforcing helmet use hard, they just cover the problem with mirror and smokes claiming that it is bc of speeding!

all those deaths are just bc they were not wearing any helmet! 

i cannot imagine a safe rode for motorbikes with a bicycle like 50 kph speed limit.

Archived