Where in Pattaya to get gear indicator installed on my CBR

Hi,

Now that aftermarket gear indicators for motorcycles are becoming more prevalent, I have thought about having one installed on my CBR-150R.  Does anyone know of a good place in Pattaya to have this installed?  How much should I expect to pay to have this done?

Thanks,

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

You ride a bike and don't know what gear you are in?

I agree to this question.

I have a gear indicators on my bikes and basically I don't look at them.

If the bike it revving it's time to change to a higher gear.

And if you have no power it's time for a lower gear (or another bike).

What do you expect when you will use a gear indicator?

Thanks for your useless comments; why do you even bother to respond, nothing else to do?  Have you even tried to shift into a higher gear only to find out that you were already in top gear?  When you're riding a 150cc bike, you sometimes feel like you need another gear.  It would be helpful to be able to take a glance and note that you are already in 6th gear.  Also, when downshifting, it is sometimes difficult to downshift and get the bike into first gear so a gear indicator could be used to confirm the bike is in first gear instead of attempting to release the clutch only to find out that the bike was still in second gear.  I guess that gear indicators are only offered for sale, but nobody really actually purchases them.  It odd that I find that more manufacturers are starting to add gear indicators to their motorcycle displays, the 2019 Honda CB500 series comes to mind.

Obviously, these things only happen to people on other forums, not the professionals that post on the Thaivisa motorcycle forum.

Moderators, please close this topic as it was a waste of my time to open it.

I have been trying to ascertain where the signals come from to tell what gear the transmission is in. Unless the bike already has an engine integral gear position sensor. 

If the bike doesn't have the necessary outputs from the transmission how will it know what gear the bike is in. But it maybe able to get the info from the diagnostics port but again the bike still needs integral gear position sensor. 

So the question is does a CBR 150R have such sensor(s)? The 2018 US market Honda CBR125R indicates on one manufacturer's site as having one.

If this is what you are asking, then any Honda dealer. Like the one tucked away in Naklua?

As for useless comments may i suggest a slightly less tense approach to posting or anticipation of the likely answers. 

I assumed that the Honda dealerships would not carry the aftermarket gear indicators; they hardly carry Honda's own accessories.  I don't know if the CBR has such sensor or not, but I have seen a lot of Honda Rebel's with gear indicators added.  I'll check with Honda, but also looking at alternatives.

I got a little miffed because the first 3 posts to my topic were completely off topic.  I didn't ask for anyone's opinion of gear indicators; I only wanted to know where I could purchase and have a gear indicator installed.  Why post if you're not going to be helpful and answer the question; that's all I'm saying?  I see this happen to so many posters on this and other thaivisa forums and it's really not necessary.  Opinions asked, opinions given; questions asked, questions answered; it's that simple, at least that's the way I approach it.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

If the bike doesn't have the necessary outputs from the transmission how will it know what gear the bike is in.

Yes could mean splitting the crank case  to install new parts...if they are even available.

gear.jpg.04e9cdeb089ed507865115f6f94bee76.jpg

but in the example above  part 36 is the neutral /gear position sensor

(connected to the outside of the crack case)    part 39 makes contact with a contact pad on part 36 when gear is in neutral...if part 36 has contact points for the other gear positions all that may be needed is  extra   indicator lights on the handlebars.

PS diagram not from a CBR  though I believe they use the same system.

I think big bikes say 1000 sport bikes modulate the engine management based on gear position to stop wheel spin in lower gears as an example. 

Unlikely, but not impossible, that 150R has this. 

52 minutes ago, PattayaDavid said:

I got a little miffed because the first 3 posts to my topic were completely off topic.

Not really, bit of an odd motorcyclist question inviting the taking of the pee.

I would have gone to Honda dealership first they don't keep everything in stock for obvious reasons.

A good dealer in your area will often tell you where you could get one fitted if they won't do it.  

I think a top gear indicator is useful and my Suzuki Raider has one...I wouldn't mind having all 6 gears indicated though.

My Yamaha Spark has 4 gears and all are indicated on the "dash board"

I did some research on the internet and it appears that some gear indicators will work even for the CBR-150R.  From what I gather, the unit connects into most bikes that have an ECU.  It plugs into the dianostics connector and you program the microprocessor to learn what gear the bike is in via speed and rpm.  The first like is a YouTube video showing the installation, setup and programming for the gear shift indicator on a Honda CB300F.  Other links discuss the procedures and programming for the CBR-150R.  Now, if I can just find some place that installs them.  I have seen other videos from Thailand, most in Thai, whereby the bikes had the indicators installed, some of them were Honda Rebels.  The Idea Gear Indicator can be installed on almost any bike, Honda CB500 series, 650f etc.

Idea Gear Indicator- A $35 Miracle for Honda CB300F  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJCyEDb3M9s 

GIPro xtype gear indicator  https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/healtech-honda-cbr150r-10-15-gipro-x-type-gear-indicator/

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/product_images/product_pdf/GPX_UsersGuide_en.pdf

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/product_images/product_pdf/GPX_H05_InstallGuide_en.pdf

David,

I thought I'd need one for my CB500F back when I got it, but as you get to know your bike you'll see that it's totally unnecessary (at least for for me) You just feel it. Or quick glance at speed at rpm and you know it. Guess it also depends if you're a short-shifter or like to rev it up a bit but you'll get to learn eventually either way.

I've been riding this particular Honda CBR-150R here in Pattaya for 3 years and I agree, I know that I don't actually need a gear indicator per say, but the fact that they seem to be available at a reasonable cost, I figure, why not.  There are even new bikes out there that don't even have a tach, Honda Rebel comes to mind, so you have to rely on speed and engine sound alone.  I would just like to be able to glance down at an indicator on the occasion that I can't remember whether I had shifted into 6th gear or whether I was still in 5th gear.  To put it a different way, sometimes it feels like my CBR-150R need a 7th gear (lol) if you know what I mean.

I may or may not have one installed, but I would like to look into it and visit a location of a shop that installs them, preferably from someone who has had it done on their own bike.  I would also like to get some first hand knowledge of how well it has worked and how reliable it is long term.

Thanks,

7 hours ago, PattayaDavid said:

I assumed that the Honda dealerships would not carry the aftermarket gear indicators; they hardly carry Honda's own accessories.  I don't know if the CBR has such sensor or not, but I have seen a lot of Honda Rebel's with gear indicators added.  I'll check with Honda, but also looking at alternatives.

I got a little miffed because the first 3 posts to my topic were completely off topic.  I didn't ask for anyone's opinion of gear indicators; I only wanted to know where I could purchase and have a gear indicator installed.  Why post if you're not going to be helpful and answer the question; that's all I'm saying?  I see this happen to so many posters on this and other thaivisa forums and it's really not necessary.  Opinions asked, opinions given; questions asked, questions answered; it's that simple, at least that's the way I approach it.

miffed ?

The way you have been treated is inexcusable.

Truly, there is no justice in the world.

If everybody approached things as you do,

the world would be so much better.

Thank you so much.

27 minutes ago, Poppadom said:

David,

I thought I'd need one for my CB500F back when I got it, but as you get to know your bike you'll see that it's totally unnecessary (at least for for me) You just feel it. Or quick glance at speed at rpm and you know it. Guess it also depends if you're a short-shifter or like to rev it up a bit but you'll get to learn eventually either way.

on a 150, you better like to rev.

29 minutes ago, papa al said:

miffed ?

The way you have been treated is inexcusable.

Truly, there is no justice in the world.

If everybody approached things as you do,

the world would be so much better.

Thank you so much.

papa al, your wisdom is legendary; I have been enlightened, don't thank me; thank you.

35 minutes ago, papa al said:

Yeah, I don't mind revving it; that's what makes the 150 so much fun especially the CBR 150.  I have the newer model to yours, but revs are revs.  It seems that a prerequisite for adding a gear indicator is having a bike with an ECU to plug into. 

I'm thinking about picking up a Honda Rebel and it has neither a gear indicator nor a tach and it also has a pretty quiet stock exhaust.  Anyway, I thought that if the gear indicator worked well on my CBR, I would also put one on the Rebel, that is, if I decide to take that plunge.

There will be a gear position sensor on the outside of the gearbox casing which most likely only has a neutral contact. It can can be changed to a multi position sensor with LED indicator. 

Ask at main dealer.

58 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

There will be a gear position sensor on the outside of the gearbox casing which most likely only has a neutral contact. It can can be changed to a multi position sensor with LED indicator. 

Ask at main dealer.

Sounds interesting; I'll check it out.

Thanks,

11 hours ago, papa al said:

I bought a digital "speedo" for my Wave 100, It had a 4 digit tach that only (obviously) went to 9999. 

On the first ride it went up to 9999  and beyond and never worked again. 

Oh as an aside I think the new Wave's have a gear indicator?

Archived