Video: Gangs on the Thai roads conning people in contrived road accidents

webfact

Video: Gangs on the Thai roads conning people in contrived road accidents

5pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A Thai man with dash cam evidence went to the media to claim he had witnessed a clear case of a gang extorting money from motorists by faking accidents. 

In the video the alleged gang members box in a car on a road in the Ongkharat area of Nakorn Nayok on Monday evening. 

Using their horn and alarming the car in the middle the pick-up on the right forces the victim's car to collide with another gang member driving in the inside lane, Khomsan told Sanook. 

The gangs use beat up old cars and then cite the law to unsuspecting victims who are persuaded to hand over cash for damages without the involvement of the police. 

Khomsan said that he followed the vehicle on the right but he believed that he had got wise to the chase and he revved off and he lost him. 

Such gangs are believed to roam Thailand preying on unsuspecting drivers who think they have had an unavoidable accident and pay up to avoid trouble with the police, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-03

If I had any kind of accident here I would call my insurance company and wait for them to send someone out to deal with the other party involved. So would these gangs hang around for them to turn up or would they just threaten me with violence?  This seems possibly the dumbest scam I've ever heard of.  

This was reported by a local driver, not ex-pat, and I am sure that there is no clear proof of any illegal act. The driving of the pick up was scandalous and caused the "victim" to swerve and clip the car on the inside lane as he wasn't aware of the car to his left. As said already typical Thai driving, the car that swerved and clipped the third vehicle was also originally hogging the outside lane.

The car that got clipped was driving steadily and didn't appear to be a part of a plot to defraud and it looked to be in a very good condition and not the type that scanners apparently use.

Crash for cash then .. This sort of thing was rampant in Britain a few yrs ago the focus being on the insurance claim rather than extorting cash out of the driver .. In car camera's and tightened insurance claim procedures have cut it back a lot now ..  

13 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

This was reported by a local driver, not ex-pat, and I am sure that there is no clear proof of any illegal act. The driving of the pick up was scandalous and caused the "victim" to swerve and clip the car on the inside lane as he wasn't aware of the car to his left. As said already typical Thai driving, the car that swerved and clipped the third vehicle was also originally hogging the outside lane.

The car that got clipped was driving steadily and didn't appear to be a part of a plot to defraud and it looked to be in a very good condition and not the type that scanners apparently use.

surely dangerous driving or even attempted manslaughter ...if car being hemmed in crashes and driver/passengers are dead ir injured...

17 minutes ago, peterpaintpot said:

of course it is an illegal act....someone could have been killed/injured....

My wife was targeted in a similar fashion couple months back. Except she didn't pull over to the left, the car in the left lane actually clipped her.

Anyway, she pulled over and the other car stopped behind. Guy got out and my wife said she would call the police to sort it out. Guy gave some BS story about being late and in a rush for a meeting blah blah.. Wife offered to get the damage fixed at her cousins garage, said follow me and drove off. He didn't follow ???????? She reported it all to the police to be safe but they said it sounded like a scam...

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

If I had any kind of accident here I would call my insurance company and wait for them to send someone out to deal with the other party involved. So would these gangs hang around for them to turn up or would they just threaten me with violence?  This seems possibly the dumbest scam I've ever heard of.  

Or they just beat the hell out of you and leave you for dead. Flip a coin.

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yeah try it we did that, the insurgence guy was a total bell end, he agreed with the cops and other party and gave us no advice or help at all. Found out from a poster on here that actually he does not work for the company and is just an agent collecting data for several companies, therefore could not give a toss about us or our insurance company. The gang probably would hang around and pay the cops and 'your' agent to take their side.

Crash for cash has been a big scam for years in the UK, mostly Asian gangs.

37 minutes ago, seminomadic said:

A journalist worth his or her salt would tell readers how to react/who to call if subjected to this sort of thing.

How to react ? Run away !

Who to call ? Most likely, nobody will answer the call.

A good journalist has trust in the common sense of the readers.

Perhaps if the pick-up truck driver knew how to drive and used his rear-view mirrors???

Wait a minute.  This is Thailand, right?  Nevermind.

I don't see a scam.  I see aggressive driving and clueless driving - that's an everyday occurrence and why there are so many accidents on the road. 

5 hours ago, peterpaintpot said:

Never leave your lane unless its safe to do so, let them hit you, and make sure you have your dashcam working, preferably one that sees front and backwards.

4 hours ago, dcnx said:

Or they just beat the hell out of you and leave you for dead. Flip a coin.

I'm actually hoping for a confrontation, I so badly want to snap a 140lb twig in half with my bare hands, as I toss them over a highway overpass.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Such gangs are believed to roam Thailand preying on unsuspecting drivers

I disagree with all the negative comments and bashing. 

These gangs should be congratulated for organizing toward a goal based on shared common interests. 

7 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Ok...let's hear from the Thai apologists that claim they have never been scammed or witnessed a scam in their 10+ years in Thailand...Right!   ????

"Thai Apologists"?  Typical meaningless Thai-basher comment.

I have never been scammed here in 25 years, and I'd doubt that the majority of others have either.  Why do you assume that everyone has to have been scammed? 

Even more ridiculous is suggesting that most people, if they haven't been scammed, have witnessed a scam.  I reckon by "witnessed" you actually mean "heard about something that allegedly happened".

Let's hear your stories (real ones preferably) of how often you've allegedly been scammed.

This implication in the OP is speculative nonsense.

The Vios that was hit had it's brakes applied just as the pickup was about to graze it's bumper; if that car was in on it why would it have tried to avoid the collision by braking?

"Khomsan said that he followed the vehicle on the right but he believed that he had got wise to the chase and he revved off and he lost him". 

So he didn't stick around and, therefore, has no idea what the outcome of the minor collision was.

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Thai Apologists"?  Typical meaningless Thai-basher comment.

I have never been scammed here in 25 years, and I'd doubt that the majority of others have either.  Why do you assume that everyone has to have been scammed? 

Even more ridiculous is suggesting that most people, if they haven't been scammed, have witnessed a scam.  I reckon by "witnessed" you actually mean "heard about something that allegedly happened".

Let's hear your stories (real ones preferably) of how often you've allegedly been scammed.

Never been scammed, but been hit three times, all three people gave multiple lies about what happen, until I pulled out the video evidence for the Insurance guy who showed up. One guy even wanted to go to the police station, he was convinced that it was OK to fly down the on-ramp straight across the lanes of traffic all at once, right into my left-side rear door. 

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

This implication in the OP is nonsense.

The Vios that was hit had it's brakes applied just as the pickup was about to graze it's bumper; if that car was in on it why would it have tried to avoid the collision by braking?

I'm with you, it just looks like typical bad driving, the vehicle blocking the right lane should have just sped up, then pulled over to the left when it was safe to do so. Instead, put the blinker on and push the car to your left out of your way, typical Thai driving style.

Archived