Thai dentists are great! Thai man goes from goofy to babe magnet in two years!

webfact

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Avoid tourist areas, shopping malls and Dental chains, small independent ones a bit out of the way are best IMO. If that dental Hospital was off Sukhumvit avoid unless money is no object.

i had a molar tooth extracted electively at a multifloor so called international dental office in rachada soi 7 bangkok. i confirmed cost before procedure and dentist told me he predicts 20 minutes to extract. sure enough at or before 20 minutes he proudly told me his prediction was correct.

when i went to pay the price had jumped and i asked to speak to dentist as to why this was. cashier called him on mobile and he said my extraction was "complicated"  

i simply asked him "why is it complicated since you predicted 20 minutes and it was completed within 20 minutes"  he could not defend his position and told the cashier to change the price.   plain and clear price gouging, overcharging and many patients would not understand the meaning of "complicated procedure" and non complicated.  i will never go back to that place.

i have had several crowns and root canals in vietnam all with great results at a fraction of the thai price for the same components.

also had 2 crowns in cambodia with very great result. 

48 minutes ago, atyclb said:

my danang dentist always messages me after work that can lead to pain  like a root canal or when i broke a tooth. over the counter codeine can be a blessing and commonly available at every pharmacy. 

codeine can be a blessing and commonly available at every pharmacy. 

So you are talking about Vietnam. How much is a basic implant in Vietnam?

Do they allow sedation in the dental clinics? Thailand still does not.

(Sedation is a light anaesthesia the leaves you with no memory of the procedure)

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

my danang dentist always messages me after work that can lead to pain  like a root canal or when i broke a tooth. over the counter codeine can be a blessing and commonly available at every pharmacy. 

Also Ponstan 500mg which is available everywhere.

Had some major dental work done on one of my kids and the work was excellent and cheap, ponstan did the trick with the pain afterwards.

1 hour ago, rabas said:
2 hours ago, atyclb said:

codeine can be a blessing and commonly available at every pharmacy. 

So you are talking about Vietnam. How much is a basic implant in Vietnam?

Do they allow sedation in the dental clinics? Thailand still does not.

(Sedation is a light anaesthesia the leaves you with no memory of the procedure)

i never have had an implant yet, luckily.  my danang dentists colleagues do the implants. i was told about 1000 usd total price including crown. that is using one of the us fda approved big name implants. i found a page (not my viet dentist) that lists prices. converted to dollars an implant runs 688 to 860 usd plus the crown depending on which one you choose. so total is approx 1000 usd.  google . danang dentist . they show a porcelain crown price of 6million dong (258usd) which i think is a misprint. that is likely for an all ceramic crown, zirconium. a standard porcelain fued to metal crown is less than 100usd as i have had some.

anyone thinking about implants needs to get a cbct scan. its like a mini ct scan of teeth and jaws. bone density and bone mass is very important for an implant and knowing if a sinus lift if indicated. my cbct in danang cost about 30usd.  i dont know thailand price . cbct also good in that it scans all teeth and both jaws and can locate yet unknown problems.

i dont know about conscious sedation you'd need to inquire. when i had a molar root canal i took a little codeine before 2nd visit to improve comfort because molar root canals are notorious for some pain despite anesthesia. i did my own conscious sedation lol but i already knew my codeine threshold from treating the hot tooth. you don't want to doze off as the dentist needs to work inside your mouth. teeth more towards the front are easier to work on due to simple location.

dental administered conscious sedation may use a device to keep your mouth open.  conscious sedation is more common in children because of obvious reasons so i'd imagine vietnam can also offer it in some places.   have a read to understand more . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6327823/

my other very first front tooth root canal was a breeze, zero pain, surprised me.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:21 PM, atyclb said:

i never have had an implant yet, luckily.  my danang dentists colleagues do the implants. i was told about 1000 usd total price including crown. that is using one of the us fda approved big name implants. i found a page (not my viet dentist) that lists prices. converted to dollars an implant runs 688 to 860 usd plus the crown depending on which one you choose. so total is approx 1000 usd.  google . danang dentist . they show a porcelain crown price of 6million dong (258usd) which i think is a misprint. that is likely for an all ceramic crown, zirconium. a standard porcelain fued to metal crown is less than 100usd as i have had some.

anyone thinking about implants needs to get a cbct scan. its like a mini ct scan of teeth and jaws. bone density and bone mass is very important for an implant and knowing if a sinus lift if indicated. my cbct in danang cost about 30usd.  i dont know thailand price . cbct also good in that it scans all teeth and both jaws and can locate yet unknown problems.

i dont know about conscious sedation you'd need to inquire. when i had a molar root canal i took a little codeine before 2nd visit to improve comfort because molar root canals are notorious for some pain despite anesthesia. i did my own conscious sedation lol but i already knew my codeine threshold from treating the hot tooth. you don't want to doze off as the dentist needs to work inside your mouth. teeth more towards the front are easier to work on due to simple location.

dental administered conscious sedation may use a device to keep your mouth open.  conscious sedation is more common in children because of obvious reasons so i'd imagine vietnam can also offer it in some places.   have a read to understand more . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6327823/

my other very first front tooth root canal was a breeze, zero pain, surprised me.

I aborted a root canal ( back tooth ) by a Surin dentist as  , after 3 lots of injections which did nothing , the pain was unbearable . The anesthetic injections did not numb any part of my mouth or face . She packed out the cavity cos I said to try again a week later but I never returned . I Know of someone who went to Mumbai and had all of his  bad teeth removed and replaced with full implants . Having said that I think both the top and bottom new teeth are secured into the jaw in 4 places . Result was good , looked natural, not too white and all done in 1 week and I seem to remember the cost was 4000 UK pounds 5 years ago .

1 minute ago, superal said:

I aborted a root canal ( back tooth ) by a Surin dentist as  , after 3 lots of injections which did nothing , the pain was unbearable . The anesthetic injections did not numb any part of my mouth or face . She packed out the cavity cos I said to try again a week later but I never returned . I Know of someone who went to Mumbai and had all of his  bad teeth removed and replaced with full implants . Having said that I think both the top and bottom new teeth are secured into the jaw in 4 places . Result was good , looked natural, not too white and all done in 1 week and I seem to remember the cost was 4000 UK pounds 5 years ago .

Concerns regarding implants, higher possible infection rate, possible bone density problems due to ageing, and some rejection due to implant being "foreign material". Things to be discussed and considered.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:46 PM, Bill Miller said:

So far great experience at the dental department in Mae Hong Son hospital. Looking forward to getting partials. I left the previous ( poorly fitted US made) set at a former girlfriend's house, and she declined to return them. ????

Must have suited the ex G/F

7 hours ago, superal said:

the back teeth are infamous for pain during root canal. related to their nerve innervation. my  back tooth root canal was also difficult despite more than 1 injection and i knew already as i had read up about it. taking 15 mg of codeine (half the 30mg tablet commonly sold in viet pharmacies) did wonders. the injection blocks pain peripherally but add codeine that blocks pain at the brain level was a godsend. there are other options for pain control. one is to inject directly into the jaw bone and another is a pressurised system that injects directly into the root canal but even these do not produce 100% painless procedure in all patients. it is a hassle in thailand to get codeine requiring visiting limited # hospitals. even in the usa where codeine is a controlled substance any dentist can write a rx for it and just about any pharmacy can fill it.

india can be a good option if extensive work is needed, though vietnam is also an option. perhaps depending on which you are more fond of, chicken vindaloo or pho soup.

The term All-on-4 refers to "all" teeth being supported "on four" dental implants, a surgical and technique prosthodontics procedure for total rehabilitation of the edentulous patient or for patients with badly broken down teeth, decayed teeth or compromised teeth due to gum disease.

read about dental anesthesia

http://endoexperience.com/documents/HotToothanesthesia.PDF

7 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:
7 hours ago, superal said:

Concerns regarding implants, higher possible infection rate, possible bone density problems due to ageing, and some rejection due to implant being "foreign material". Things to be discussed and considered.

generally all surgical procedures have pro's and con's, risks vs benefits, contraindications, etc etc.  a good idea to understand 100% and know risks vs benefits

On 5/3/2019 at 10:08 PM, Throatwobbler said:

Is everybody feeling ok? This is pretty much a whole thread praising things done by Thais. This must be a first for TV.

There's always an exception to the rule. But it helps when you go to the dentist and see those certificates from US. Not really 100% Siamese anymore, we can claim credit for the re-education.

I had some excellent treatment and implants at BIDC in 2009. With painkillers and antibiotics it was a surprisingly painless process over several months. Everything is still working fine and the full treatment was about 1/3 of the quote from my dentist in UK.

Fortunately, at the time the exchange rate was GBP= THB63.00.

On 5/5/2019 at 5:20 AM, JimmyJ said:

Any recommendations for Chiang Mai dentists?

Chang Mai Ram (next to  Starbucks on the west  side of the moat). They're a bit pricey but they have done excellent work on my  mouth. Friends are always saying "oh go to this place, or that - they're cheaper!" but I always stick with this lot.

On 5/5/2019 at 7:58 AM, RJRS1301 said:

good points. it should be known that cigarette smoking is detrimental to success of implants.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3894084/

4 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Chang Mai Ram (next to  Starbucks on the west  side of the moat). They're a bit pricey but they have done excellent work on my  mouth. Friends are always saying "oh go to this place, or that - they're cheaper!" but I always stick with this lot.

Any specific dentist there?

• 4 weeks later...

Not all Thai dentists are great. There are horror stories here and there. It still pays to pick a topnotch place. I always use Thantakit Dental Center. They started Invisalign in Thailand and Qantas uses them. Building is huge and the dentists are very competent. I believe it's definitely worth choosing a healthcare or dental care facility that is already established. Cheers.

Does anyone know about getting root canal treatment after they fitted a crown? Do they drill thought the crown, do the root canal then fill, or is it a case of having to have the crown removed and replaced after root canal work?

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Does anyone know about getting root canal treatment after they fitted a crown? Do they drill thought the crown, do the root canal then fill, or is it a case of having to have the crown removed and replaced after root canal work?

i had that exact same issue. if dentist is not highly motivated, or lazy, or short of time or wanting to sell another crown, they may say crown needs to come off first.  my dentist agreed to do it drilling through crown but she honestly told me if she cannot achieve good access and treat root 100% she will need to remove crown.  it worked out great to this day. preserved crown

Archived