"Morally gross Russian beg-packers" face hail of criticism from Thais and foreigners alike

webfact

"Morally gross Russian beg-packers" face hail of criticism from Thais and foreigners alike

a.jpg

A Thai woman went online to condemn two apparent Russian beg-packers who were begging for donations in central Bangkok this week. 

A sign in English - and one in Thai - suggested they had had trouble and needed money urgently to get back to Moscow.

The vitriolic comments in the Everything Bangkok Facebook group were largely backed up by foreigners commenting in their hundreds online. 

It has also been suggested that such foreign beggars could soon be arrested under Thai begging laws. 

The poster said (with a few small changes for accuracy and modesty):

b.jpg

"Real time, Skywalk from Siam BTS to Central World, these f**kin young trash traveling scamming people who mostly don't even have the privilege to get out of the country. Some stupid Thai people are giving some tho this act in general isn't just illegal but is morally gross. "

Most foreigners commenting on the story agreed though some said they weren't harming anyone. 

One Thai woman seemed to even spring to their defense saying: "Not every farang are (sic) rich". 

Some foreigners suggested jail time and even the removal of testicles while Thais blamed their compatriots for being gullible and contributing to such people. 

Meanwhile, Thailand has recently revised its "Beggar Control Act", which could be used to outlaw so called "beg-packing".

This could result in fines and jail for not just Thais begging on the street and at temples but the ever increasing number of foreigners asking for money on the sidewalks and in the markets of Thailand. 

Thaivisa asks: What do you think?

Morally gross?

Bang them up? or 

Doing no harm leave them alone?

Source: Facebook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-03

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa asks: What do you think?

Morally gross?

Bang them up? or 

Doing no harm leave them alone?

Before answering I'd prefer to know what trouble they got into.  That would be most interesting.

I find people begging distasteful wherever it happens and whatever nationality they are. I don't know the circumstances of these two, though I am sure they have other options to get home without having to do this.

12 minutes ago, webfact said:

One Thai woman seemed to even spring to their defense saying: "Not every farang are (sic) rich". 

Spread the word girl .. I'm all for a counter narrative to the entrenched view that we are all solid gold walking ATM's .. 

I don't give to beggars (I'm not proud of that) and many of them are indeed scammers, but honestly, how do people know for sure that these guys (one of them is quite cute which I'm sure isn't hurting the revenue) specifically are scammers? Probably doesn't cut it. 

29 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I find people begging distasteful wherever it happens and whatever nationality they are. I don't know the circumstances of these two, though I am sure they have other options to get home without having to do this.

Right, those disgusting homeless people who have no money! Shame on them!!!1

So they did not get enough money for a ticket yet, as I did see the exact same duo six months ago in Rangsit. Begging with the same paper in thai and other in english, standing on the pedestrian bridge.

One guy shorthaired and the other long 'rasta a like' hair and wearing the same shoes from vans, although it looks new.

Ah.. that where the collected money went!

4 minutes ago, donim said:

So they did not get enough money for a ticket yet, as I did see the exact same duo six months ago in Rangsit. Begging with the same paper in thai and other in english, standing on the pedestrian bridge.

One guy shorthaired and the other long 'rasta a like' hair and wearing the same shoes from vans, although it looks new.

Ah.. that where the collected money went!

If what you say is true, which we can't verify, then I would say yes they are scammers. Not surprising but I just don't believe in condemning specific people based on probably. 

This type of problem should be processed at their Embassy. If they can't help why should I? Embassy's in Foreign countries should be doing much more than what they do for their citizens living abroad. It's not Up to Me, to solve these scammers, no scammers problems.

In Savannakhet, I shared a taxi ride with a Russian and his girlfriend. A nice couple.

During the conversation they expressed how disappointed they were at the antics of some of their fellow countrymen. " Join the club , I'm from England " was my answer. 

30 minutes ago, ravip said:

This is not the first time that foreigners happened to be begging on the Thai streets. Why is big hullabaloo? Whats so unique about it? Their nationality?

Probably the hullabaloo (nice word btw) is that it's become normal.

Really couldn't care less. If people want to give them money fine. If they do not fine also. People are free to decide. As far as I am aware soliciting donations is not an occupation reserved for Thais? Although my in-laws seem to have a monopoly of that monetary stream in my household, so I may be wrong.

What I find more worryingly is that such a trivial action stimulates such a vitriolic and nationalistic response. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If what you say is true, which we can't verify, then I would say yes they are scammers. Not surprising but I just don't believe in condemning specific people based on probably. 

It is.  The first I saw them I was thinking the short haired was helping the other, hmm a good samaritan as he was talking to the other.

But when I walked back from shopping both still here and both holding the paper.

Didn't think he was a beggar too, as least he didn't had the look of it.

I did recognize them from that photo and was confirmed by his hair cube printed shoes and hat as I was connected with a ska style group long time ago that why I remembered them when I saw them there.

Any other I would forget in 15 minutes what they looked alike.

At first when I saw the picture it reminded me of any-street, California, USA. A ubiquitous sight indeed: young able-bodied millennials looking for a hand-out using cheesy scraps of cardboard with hand written pleas for money. Face reality. It's too early for you to retire in Thailand! You have a lifetime of putting your nose to the grind stone like the rest of us did. See you back here in 30 years with a pension. Time to get a job or move back in with mom....

"Big Joke" where are you when we need you!!!! Old guys who paid their dues-in, free loaders-out! 

Archived