Travelling to Myanmar

fifelad55

Hi all, my wife's son works near Chiang Rai and she wants to visit him there later this year; in addition, she wants to pop across the border to Myanmar for a brief visit (returning to Thailand the same day). WHat is the nearest border crossing fro, Chiang Rai? and how easy is it to get a visa on arrival or do I (UK passport need to get a visa in advance? Similarly does my THai wife need to get a visa in advance?

Due to a stroke 2 years ago, I am now disabled though I do have limited mobility.

Thanks.

Alan

You can cross to Tachilek at MaeSai for a few hours without a problem.

Visa on arrival at Myanmar immigration is US$10 or 500B.

Check that your current Thai visas are multiple entry and there are no issues when you return.

If your wife is Thai she can get a day pass.

Instead if popping across the border with a bunch of visarun people I would suggest going just a bit south of there with an afternoon (or better overnight) in the golden triangle area... From there they have boat rides on the Mekong River... 

E05E15AB-37D0-47B8-BD07-E2035AB70D32.jpeg

If you have a car make a point to go to this chedi for an incredible view... 

Phra Borommathat Putta Nimit Chedi
Highway 1129 , Wiang , 57150 Chiang Saen , Chiang Rai, Tambon Wiang, Amphoe Chiang Saen, Chang Wat Chiang Rai 57150
https://goo.gl/maps/UBwj3KrdUMz9RLhZ9

FCC26C05-52C6-4CC7-A8FD-8A380320510F.png

If you can stay overnight get a room along the river between the Golden triangle and the little town of Chiang Saen (go there for a riverside evening stroll)... Here is our favorite place (Get a pool/balcony room)... https://www.ginmaekhongview.com/

Archived