Jump to content

Pattaya City property tax


Recommended Posts

Just got a letter from City Hall about property taxes. Went to see law office that does my accounts, they called City Hall, told I must go there in person to be told how much to pay. They refused to give the accountants any information about amounts, back years, etc.

 

I asked in the village office, and yes, it's property taxes. How many people in this village pay this I ask? Oh, I think you must be the only one. Why me? Shrug of shoulders.

 

I checked Google and found lots of conflicting information, but this seems to be the most relevant (it's archived so I can't simply post this on it):

 

 

Does anybody have any up-to-date experience and information on this tax? I don't want to walk into City Hall totally unprepared. How much is it likely to be, how many back years will they demand, and why am I the only person being caught by this tax in a village with over 160 residential properties?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Governments show the greatest creativity in finding new areas for taxation.

You can bet there'll be a few lines of code in there like:   IF CUSTOMER = FARANG THEN FPRICE = TPRICE *2

Yes there is a serious problem with searching for threads, only seems to look for recent threads even though search criteria is "any" 

57 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Is your house owned by a company?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, the GF isn't exactly a legal eagle but she thinks I only have to pay one year. I'll believe that when I see it. I don't much want to visit a tank full of hungry Muang Pattaya piranhas without having some idea of what they should be asking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the same. It is an annual tax on your company. I have no idea how they calculate it; just turn up and pay! You do get a proper receipt.

 

Houses owned in a Thai name don't have to pay.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

We have the same. It is an annual tax on your company. I have no idea how they calculate it; just turn up and pay! You do get a proper receipt.

 

Houses owned in a Thai name don't have to pay.

How much did you have to pay?

 

In the archived thread I linked to in the OP somebody said that he owns a big house with a swimming pool on a big piece of land yet only pays 5K Baht/year. Last night I was speaking to another resident of the village and he said that he got this letter around 18 months ago. He said they wanted 7K or 8K Baht/year and as he'd lived there around 13 years at the time they were demanding something like 100K Baht. His house is a small, 2-bedroom bungalow with no land other than what the house stands on, just a small driveway and patio, no garden or anything. How does one person with a mansion pay 5K and somebody with a very modest house have to fork out 8K? This is what I need to understand before I enter the lion's den.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another thought - I've lived in my house for coming up to 8 years and this is the first time they've asked for the tax. Evidently they're not in a desperate hurry for it. So what happens if I just ignore the letter? I gather there's a 200 Baht/year late payment fine, but that's the only sanction I'v heard of so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Just another thought - I've lived in my house for coming up to 8 years and this is the first time they've asked for the tax. Evidently they're not in a desperate hurry for it. So what happens if I just ignore the letter? I gather there's a 200 Baht/year late payment fine, but that's the only sanction I'v heard of so far.

One day they will demand it paid immediately and also fine you. Could be a lot more costly than the figure you quote.  Get a local, 'connected' accountant to help you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Guderian said:

How much did you have to pay?

 

In the archived thread I linked to in the OP somebody said that he owns a big house with a swimming pool on a big piece of land yet only pays 5K Baht/year. Last night I was speaking to another resident of the village and he said that he got this letter around 18 months ago. He said they wanted 7K or 8K Baht/year and as he'd lived there around 13 years at the time they were demanding something like 100K Baht. His house is a small, 2-bedroom bungalow with no land other than what the house stands on, just a small driveway and patio, no garden or anything. How does one person with a mansion pay 5K and somebody with a very modest house have to fork out 8K? This is what I need to understand before I enter the lion's den.

Mine is a 3 bed with pool on a reasonably sized plot.  I have paid 8K tax for the past 3 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's like the UK council rates, doesn't make any difference if it's company or Thai owned everyone from the small mom and pop shops to the big villa have to pay it, (or will eventually)  only recently have they become serious about collecting it.

 

In the Hue Yai area you will get a sticker with a 'thumbs up' logo on it to stick on your gate or letter box when it has been paid.   

The people at Hue Yai City hall have this year started to use Google earth to view  the property when you go in to pay it and see if you are lying about the size of the house or swimming pool and plot size.

 

If you have not paid it before on a new house you will need the building permit and chanut, also house book,  they will back date to  when it was first occupied, they can and do, back date the payments and they can and do fine you for not paying previously.   Best to send your wife or partner to discuss and negotiate. 

 

We have been paying this tax now for quite a few years,  In Hue Yai It seems they don't keep very good records one has to take the previous year bill and the current payment will be based on that.

 

I believe some developments / villages pay it on your behalf, that is not to say they will not be happy to take your payment again. Check with the Juristic people to see if is being paid.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

It's like the UK council rates, doesn't make any difference if it's company or Thai owned everyone from the small mom and pop shops to the big villa have to pay it, (or will eventually)  only recently have they become serious about collecting it.

 

In the Hue Yai area you will get a sticker with a 'thumbs up' logo on it to stick on your gate or letter box when it has been paid.   

The people at Hue Yai City hall have this year started to use Google earth to view  the property when you go in to pay it and see if you are lying about the size of the house or swimming pool and plot size.

 

If you have not paid it before on a new house you will need the building permit and chanut, also house book,  they will back date to  when it was first occupied, they can and do, back date the payments and they can and do fine you for not paying previously.   Best to send your wife or partner to discuss and negotiate. 

 

We have been paying this tax now for quite a few years,  In Hue Yai It seems they don't keep very good records one has to take the previous year bill and the current payment will be based on that.

 

I believe some developments / villages pay it on your behalf, that is not to say they will not be happy to take your payment again. Check with the Juristic people to see if is being paid.

 

 

 

 

 

Our village definitely doesn't pay it for you, the maintenance fee simply isn't big enough, plus you'd see it in the annual accounts.

 

Interesting that you say everybody has to pay it. The guy I spoke to in the village last night put his house in a company name when he bought it as he hadn't at that time met his future Thai wife. Having had to fork out 100K Baht+ to cover the back tax he's now decided to transfer the house into his wife's name as his lawyer has assured him that properties in a Thai name don't have to pay this. He's almost completed this process, also moaning of course that he got stuck for 130K Baht in property transfer tax. He'll be almightily cheesed off if she ends up having to pay this "council tax" as well.

 

I wonder what a lawyer would charge to come to the meeting with me? The GF isn't going to be comfortable arguing the toss with City Hall apparatchiks.

 

It also makes me wonder that when I bought the house it had been lived in for two years but this tax had never been demanded or paid. The lawyer who dealt with the property purchase for me declared that the property was free of debts which evidently wasn't the case. Surely there must be a case for suing the lawyer for making a mistake?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

we submit accounts and pay the tax every year.  I am surprised that City Hall hasn't got to you before this.   

If you read my OP you'll see that the first thing I did was to go and visit the accountants. They said that it's nothing to do with the company accounts and they can't sort it out for me, as Rimmer says above it's evidently some sort of Pattaya council tax, nothing to do with the company. So from what you've written it looks like you haven't received the letter yet and can look forward to that some time in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites

And another thought - the first I ever heard of this tax was a couple of years ago when I read it in the archived thread in my OP. Blimey, I thought, let's hope they don't start collecting that in Pattaya City itself where I live. Now they are collecting it, if slowly and inefficiently.

 

So how many other taxes and impositions that none of us currently know about are lurking in the Pattaya undergrowth, ready to bite us in the future? The lawyers are evidently clueless and it sounds like City Hall is free to invent this sort of thing as and when it likes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...