Pattaya City property tax

Guderian

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, Guderian said:
I gather from what people who've been there have told me that they just have a spreadsheet set up. I guess they just enter your details and you get a print out showing what you owe. The gophers you're dealing with probably don't have much idea about what goes on inside.

A friend suspects that the actual tax should probably be around 5K or 6K/year, but Pattaya City Hall is coming up with figures of 8K or 10K or more as somebody is creaming the extra off the top. Who knows?

Spreadsheets have simple calculations going on, you'd think they would be able to tell you the calculation, but i imagine they will act like you've asked for something really strange

You can bet there'll be a few lines of code in there like:

IF CUSTOMER = FARANG

THEN FPRICE = TPRICE *2

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Land tax is not paid on Thai owned primary residences just additional ones. City Hall regularly trawls land registry records for non Thai names and sends a bill including back tax. It's not much and is based on 12.5 pc of notional rent pa. Hence many Thais put additional houses in children's names.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, Guderian said:

Yes, the GF isn't exactly a legal eagle but she thinks I only have to pay one year. I'll believe that when I see it. I don't much want to visit a tank full of hungry Muang Pattaya piranhas without having some idea of what they should be asking for.

I have owned 3 houses in company names. I paid 12.000 Bt. (can vary, depending on who you hire) for each of them yearly. Most of that sum was the accountant's/ lawyer's fees and a tiny amount in taxes as the company wasn't making a profit.

But certainly...must be done ...yearly.

just asked my wife about our house and land, she said because it is our residence in her name we dont have to pay tax on it, however we did have to pay tax on our second house before we sold it, 3000 baht  a year, she says no tax on the family home up to a certain size but if you own a second home even if your parents/kids live in it you pay tax on it.  We have not been hit up for our units  at all over the years or our land so guess that is a wait and see proposition but they are all in her name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Land tax is not paid on Thai owned primary residences just additional ones. City Hall regularly trawls land registry records for non Thai names and sends a bill including back tax. It's not much and is based on 12.5 pc of notional rent pa. Hence many Thais put additional houses in children's names.

Thanks, some new info there. Yes, I see in the calculation that there's a 12.5% times an annual number, it doesn't seem to say what, but that's only 60K Baht. Houses like mine rent out here for 300K-400K Baht/year. Or are they using old, low rental numbers to give them wiggle room in future to raise the tax?

Odd that it's taken them 10 years to discover my company, the land office and have certainly known about it all that time.

3 minutes ago, Henricus said:

Nongprue aria I have 1 rai and a 5 bedroom house, paid Nongprue city hall 360 Thb a year.

I think I'd better move, being near Walking Street and the beach is too expensive, lol.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 6:00 PM, Guderian said:

Yes, the GF isn't exactly a legal eagle but she thinks I only have to pay one year. I'll believe that when I see it. I don't much want to visit a tank full of hungry Muang Pattaya piranhas without having some idea of what they should be asking for.

they sent me a demand about 4 years ago, wanted about 250,000 baht 10 years back taxes, i went down to see them with a thai person had a few other taxes that i paid there and then couple of thousand baht. they said i had to pay this 250,000 came away from there well pissed off.

spoke to other people in my village only 1 only person had a demand, he said he made some enquirers and said when a farang owns a house in a company name they either assume its a business or dont know and send out the demand for business tax anyway. i forgot all about it and never heard anymore.

i know another guy got a similar demand but he has a business he never paid it either. its a way of them raising big money i think.

On 5/4/2019 at 1:30 AM, White Christmas13 said:

No that happen only in Nanny states

I have seen this term used many times here. Can you please explain exactly what a Nanny State is and what policies etc it implements? Thank you.

On 5/19/2019 at 1:00 PM, dotpoom said:

I have owned 3 houses in company names. I paid 12.000 Bt. (can vary, depending on who you hire) for each of them yearly. Most of that sum was the accountant's/ lawyer's fees and a tiny amount in taxes as the company wasn't making a profit.

But certainly...must be done ...yearly.

That's the normal yearly accounting/tax fee. The tax being talked about here is a different one and is on top of that yearly accounting fee.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Apparently this is a tax on renting the property, since it is owned by a company.

I too just got a bill for the last 10 years. I don't mind paying it,  but 10 years at

once is a substantial about I have a larger house with pool.

Has anybody used a law firm to help them with this issue in Pattaya ?

Thanks,

luudee

• 3 weeks later...

On 10/17/2019 at 3:07 PM, luudee said:

Apparently this is a tax on renting the property, since it is owned by a company.

I too just got a bill for the last 10 years. I don't mind paying it,  but 10 years at

once is a substantial about I have a larger house with pool.

Has anybody used a law firm to help them with this issue in Pattaya ?

Thanks,

luudee

Yes, I used Magna Carta to find out what was going on and how much I owed. They charge for that service, but sending a Thai paralegal to deal with the vultures at City Hall seemed more sensible than going there myself. The general advice seems to be to pay it if you're of a nervous disposition, as it will have to be paid eventually. I'm not a nervous type so I've held off paying. The worry is that to get payment they may eventually decide to auction your house, which is apparently within their power. Your only recourse then is to pay up, fines and all, but I've never heard of this actually happening to anybody, so again if you can hold your nerve then there's no need to pay just yet.

A friend in the village uses a cheaper local lawyer so I'm guessing that they'll all handle this for you, there's no need to go to a big law office if you don't want to.

Don't forget, if you want to sell or extend your property you will need City Hall's permission and you'll then have to cough up the money. I'm likely to be back in the UK for 6 months next year for some hospital treatment and I'm a bit worried that City Hall might try and flog my gaff while I'm out of the country, so I might have to cough up soon. Annoying as I'm happy withholding payment and watching how this develops.

I don't care about the 7K Baht per year or whatever they're asking for, as long as they actually ask for it annually. Imposing a ten-year bill on you suddenly when they've never asked for a satang before is unacceptable.

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I wouldn't worry, houses can't be sold for love nor money around here.

If a property's cheap enough, it'll sell. All they want is around 80K Baht, I'm sure somebody would offer that for a 7 million Baht property. Heck, my TV's worth more than that!

Edited by Guderian

• 10 months later...
On 5/4/2019 at 1:20 PM, Rimmer said:

It's like the UK council rates, doesn't make any difference if it's company or Thai owned everyone from the small mom and pop shops to the big villa have to pay it, (or will eventually)  only recently have they become serious about collecting it.

In the Hue Yai area you will get a sticker with a 'thumbs up' logo on it to stick on your gate or letter box when it has been paid.   

The people at Hue Yai City hall have this year started to use Google earth to view  the property when you go in to pay it and see if you are lying about the size of the house or swimming pool and plot size.

If you have not paid it before on a new house you will need the building permit and chanut, also house book,  they will back date to  when it was first occupied, they can and do, back date the payments and they can and do fine you for not paying previously.   Best to send your wife or partner to discuss and negotiate. 

We have been paying this tax now for quite a few years,  In Hue Yai It seems they don't keep very good records one has to take the previous year bill and the current payment will be based on that.

I believe some developments / villages pay it on your behalf, that is not to say they will not be happy to take your payment again. Check with the Juristic people to see if is being paid.

I have been searching for "Property Tax Condos" but there isn't anything (on here), so I will give you this information - as it happened today. My wife suggested she should go down to Pattaya City Hall (Pattaya Nua opp. Tesco-ish just in case you don't know) as she "didn't want me to have any problems". BTY we live in on condo and have another condo in my name and another condo her name.

Report: You go in, they give you a number, wait, get your documents checked, get another number, wait, get you document checked again, get another number to pay, pay; an hour and a half all in all - but it was Monday and a lot of people there. Now for the good bit: 40 baht per room (40 sq metres) and the charge was for one year.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

I have been searching for "Property Tax Condos" but there isn't anything (on here), so I will give you this information - as it happened today. My wife suggested she should go down to Pattaya City Hall (Pattaya Nua opp. Tesco-ish just in case you don't know) as she "didn't want me to have any problems". BTY we live in on condo and have another condo in my name and another condo her name.

Report: You go in, they give you a number, wait, get your documents checked, get another number, wait, get you document checked again, get another number to pay, pay; an hour and a half all in all - but it was Monday and a lot of people there. Now for the good bit: 40 baht per room (40 sq metres) and the charge was for one year.

Not quite sure how you missed this:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178976-land-buildings-tax-2020/page/5/#comments

17 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

How can people be so weak to fear any problem or even listen to anything a Thai wife / GF would say. You must so old, or so funny !

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 2:00 PM, salsajapan said:

How can people be so weak to fear any problem or even listen to anything a Thai wife / GF would say. You must so old, or so funny !

Yes, I am old and weak now... but I suppose it is better than being sad and lonely.

Edited by safarimike11
more ponient

I did the 30 year lease with an attorney, on a house.  Technically, 12.5% was owed annually on the ridiculously low rent described in my lease..500k for 30 years..or 16,667 per year..so merely a few thousand THB per year...I successfully sold after two years, but that was one aspect (besides circumventing laws on foreign ownership) that I did not like.  Interest and penalties can make it grow exponentially.  

• Confused 1