One month's rental - security deposit?

Lacessit

Now the government ban is lifted, fires in the Mae Suai area are raging everywhere. Cause-effect is apparently not on Thai curriculums in schools. Morons.

I am looking at renting a condo for a month in the Jomtien area in low season next year to escape. However, I don't wish to pay a security deposit, as I have zero trust in getting it back.

Is it possible to rent without a security deposit? Or would I be better off negotiating a rate with a hotel? Looking at 10 - 12K baht for the month.

I never had a problem getting security deposited back from a condo.

I rented two houses, one landlady a complete bitch, gave the money back no problems, one landlady really nice, kept the money. Most expensive house I rented was 7k/month (3 bed, 2 bath, nice garden).

There's no predicting people, of it there is it's beyond my ability to detect.

My firm rule never live anywhere that wants more than 1 month security.

Research the prospective landlord first.

I read great reviews about my landlord and sure enough, he was a gentleman about my deposit. 

I've heard too many stories of kept deposits to trust at random tho, as there seems to be zero recourse for the falang in such a dispute...

Airbnb is one way to escape deposit, long-term hotels another...

Maybe I've rented eight places, with one time resulting in 50% loss of deposit because he said the room would have mold in ten years.  really was crazy.  said there was a crack in some cheap wood, and because it was a brand new room i needed to pay for everything.  only paid one month deposit, never more.  

an idea;  tell them you will come back soon and re-rent the room.  i've found them to be much nicer.  if they know you are never coming back, there is a chance they will try to keep more money.  this appeared to be the case three times.  if only one month, say you will be back in July and maybe stay 100000000 years.   get them excited.  i think it works.  

"Research the prospective landlord first."

I have been here almost 20 yrs. Rented many rooms and rented out many rooms...I don't think I ever met a landlord...rented through an agent....and rented out through agents...never met a tennant?

6 hours ago, XenZen said:

if only one month, say you will be back in July and maybe stay 100000000 years.

And then the landlord will answer: Ok, I will keep the deposit, then you do not have to pay it again in July. ????

5 hours ago, tlock said:

Condos rented thru AirBNB don't require a security deposit.

As I understand it, AirBNB has been declared illegal in Thailand. But then, so is prostitution, gambling and speeding.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

As I understand it, AirBNB has been declared illegal in Thailand. But then, so is prostitution, gambling and speeding.

Pray tell where you have gleaned such misinformation?

30 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Only a month.....get into a hotel, save yourself any grief!

OP's looking for 10-12 k baht a month. Do-able but a half-decent 2 to 3 star flop is easily going to cost twice that. There's local market apartments but getting one with aircon will probably start at 15 k baht a month. Might get lucky and have a window as well.

There was a frequent Pattaya thread poster who claimed serial, 1-month, good value, no-hassle stays in varying Pattaya condo's, especially the new ones, all through Airbnb.

56 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Only a month.....get into a hotel, save yourself any grief!

Lek hotel near immigration is OK and they've been there for years. A little expensive but no hassles about deposits and daily breakfast is included.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

From the notice board of my condo.

It's nonsense. Either you are allowed to rent out the apartment or you are not. AirBnB has nothing to do with it. The issue, as mentioned above, is the time period. 

The last house I rented the landlord kept my 12,000 baht deposit. The reason: He did not have the money to repay it. A year later he still does not have the money to repay it.

Just assume that you will not get your deposit back and don't give more than 1 months deposit.

12 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

The last house I rented the landlord kept my 12,000 baht deposit. The reason: He did not have the money to repay it. A year later he still does not have the money to repay it.

Just assume that you will not get your deposit back and don't give more than 1 months deposit.

This is nuts. ???? Of the two places I rented whilst having to pay a month's deposit, one just took a hold on a CC and the other pays it back without fail(other people I know have rented there). 

But neither were in Jomtien nor within the OP's budget.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:49 AM, BritManToo said:

There's no predicting people, of it there is it's beyond my ability to detect.

My firm rule never live anywhere that wants more than 1 month security.

How is that possible? Everywhere they ask for 2 months security deposit. Even if you try to negotiate it down to 1 month, from my experience they (the agent) always say no.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Even if you try to negotiate it down to 1 month, from my experience they (the agent) always say no.

Contacting the owner, can be a way.

I did it with success, but on 1 year contract. 

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How is that possible? Everywhere they ask for 2 months security deposit. Even if you try to negotiate it down to 1 month, from my experience they (the agent) always say no.

Never go through agents, they usually get to keep the deposit as their commission.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

OP seriously would you rent yours with no deposit? All farang think they are perfect tenants and landLords are evil and thats just plain stupid.

Depends if it were furnished, and how much the furnishings were worth.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Depends if it were furnished, and how much the furnishings were worth.

I only rent fully furnished condos. Maybe that's why they don't negotiate the 2 months deposit.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

I only rent fully furnished condos. Maybe that's why they don't negotiate the 2 months deposit.

I've never had any problem finding places with 1 month deposit in Chiang Mai.

Maybe they won't go any lower because you look like either an easy mark or particularly disreputable.

Archived