BANGKOK 24 July 2019 15:30
Lacessit

One month's rental - security deposit?

Only a month.....get into a hotel, save yourself any grief!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LennyW said:

OP's looking for 10-12 k baht a month. Do-able but a half-decent 2 to 3 star flop is easily going to cost twice that. There's local market apartments but getting one with aircon will probably start at 15 k baht a month. Might get lucky and have a window as well.

There was a frequent Pattaya thread poster who claimed serial, 1-month, good value, no-hassle stays in varying Pattaya condo's, especially the new ones, all through Airbnb.

Send me a pm when it gets close to the time you want to rent. I've been using a particular agent in Jomtien for years, she is 100% trustworthy.

56 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Lek hotel near immigration is OK and they've been there for years. A little expensive but no hassles about deposits and daily breakfast is included.

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

From the notice board of my condo.

It's nonsense. Either you are allowed to rent out the apartment or you are not. AirBnB has nothing to do with it. The issue, as mentioned above, is the time period. 

OP seriously would you rent yours with no deposit? All farang think they are perfect tenants and landLords are evil and thats just plain stupid.

• Like 2

The last house I rented the landlord kept my 12,000 baht deposit. The reason: He did not have the money to repay it. A year later he still does not have the money to repay it.

Just assume that you will not get your deposit back and don't give more than 1 months deposit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

The last house I rented the landlord kept my 12,000 baht deposit. The reason: He did not have the money to repay it. A year later he still does not have the money to repay it.

Just assume that you will not get your deposit back and don't give more than 1 months deposit.

This is nuts. 🙂 Of the two places I rented whilst having to pay a month's deposit, one just took a hold on a CC and the other pays it back without fail(other people I know have rented there). 

But neither were in Jomtien nor within the OP's budget.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:49 AM, BritManToo said:

There's no predicting people, of it there is it's beyond my ability to detect.

My firm rule never live anywhere that wants more than 1 month security.

How is that possible? Everywhere they ask for 2 months security deposit. Even if you try to negotiate it down to 1 month, from my experience they (the agent) always say no.

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Even if you try to negotiate it down to 1 month, from my experience they (the agent) always say no.

Contacting the owner, can be a way.

I did it with success, but on 1 year contract. 

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How is that possible? Everywhere they ask for 2 months security deposit. Even if you try to negotiate it down to 1 month, from my experience they (the agent) always say no.

Never go through agents, they usually get to keep the deposit as their commission.

5 hours ago, madmen said:

OP seriously would you rent yours with no deposit? All farang think they are perfect tenants and landLords are evil and thats just plain stupid.

Depends if it were furnished, and how much the furnishings were worth.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Depends if it were furnished, and how much the furnishings were worth.

I only rent fully furnished condos. Maybe that's why they don't negotiate the 2 months deposit.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

I only rent fully furnished condos. Maybe that's why they don't negotiate the 2 months deposit.

I've never had any problem finding places with 1 month deposit in Chiang Mai.

Maybe they won't go any lower because you look like either an easy mark or particularly disreputable.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

My Condo in Thonglor is furnished.