One month's rental - security deposit?

Lacessit

Thought the law now stated that they couldnt charge more than one months deposit etc, was a article on this site about about various changes to letting laws in favour of the tenant, sadly cant locate it

Thought the law now stated that they couldnt charge more than one months deposit etc, was a article on this site about about various changes to letting laws in favour of the tenant, sadly cant locate it

Come on. How many Thai landlords will be up on tenancy law. All the law they need is tucked away in a very dark corner of their minds.

13 hours ago, sapson said:

When was this new law introduced?

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

May of last year.

Perhaps you are confusing the one month's rent in advance with another month of deposit.

One month's deposit and one month's rent in advance is more likely.

But; https://www.thailand-property.com/blog/new-thailand-rental-laws-4-things-need-know

4) Not all landlords impacted by new Thailand rental laws

The new regulations will only be enforced for landlords who oversee five or more properties. Those who manage less than this are not obligated to this new policy, but will likely be encouraged to follow it.

24 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

The question is how we, as tenants can know if a landlord owns 5 or more properties? Is there some law in place that they must disclose it if a tenant asks? What about agents who manage more than 5 properties which would be all real estate agents?

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

The question is how we, as tenants can know if a landlord owns 5 or more properties? Is there some law in place that they must disclose it if a tenant asks? What about agents who manage more than 5 properties which would be all real estate agents?

If they don't stick to the regulations; i.e No more than one month's deposit, one month's rent in advance and not more than 5 baht per unit of electricity... find somewhere else to rent. That is how you know.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:12 AM, bkk6060 said:

I would go to a hotel much less hassle.

For one month there should be no security deposit.

They may limit your room cleanings to once or twice a week and some make you pay the electric.

That's the easy option, but on a wider scale, why shouldn't they allow a foreigner to go to the office, present their passport, present a receipt, or a lease, or booking conformation, and simply fill in the form stating where they are residing whilst in Thailand. 

If authorities have a problem with the property, or the landlord, they can take it up with them. 

Fining tenants 800 baht for something a landlord doesn't do, or is unwilling to do, is wrong. 

On 5/9/2019 at 1:15 PM, bbi1 said:

Its only if he has more than 5 condos. A long running thread on it last year

Besides thais dont care and the law wont be enforced just like renting out on air bnb under one month is against the law but thais still rent out nightly and authorities dont follow up

On 5/9/2019 at 4:50 AM, KneeDeep said:

If they don't stick to the regulations; i.e No more than one month's deposit, one month's rent in advance and not more than 5 baht per unit of electricity... find somewhere else to rent. That is how you know.

There are soooooooooo many places out there for rent that that advice is the best

On 5/9/2019 at 3:50 PM, KneeDeep said:

Good luck getting a Thai to agree. In his mind its more important to rip you off the 2 months than the actual rent money.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:27 AM, KittenKong said:

I think that most landlords and agents do return the security deposit. Just make sure that you rent from someone with a decent reputation, and get receipts.

countless posts on TV suggest otherwise..The joys of renting

On 5/8/2019 at 5:06 PM, Henryford said:

Rent from a farang. A Thai will never give the deposit back.

More racist nonsense.

My Thai landlord returned my deposit twice and has a highly regarded reputation for honesty.

Rent from a falang in Thailand? ????

Where do you find an honest sober one? 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, bkk6060 said:

I would go to a hotel much less hassle.

For one month there should be no security deposit.

They may limit your room cleanings to once or twice a week and some make you pay the electric.

Sounds like someone hasn't actually looked before speaking.

I've looked, extensively. The hotels I saw offering monthly rates all required deposit.

38 minutes ago, Happystance said:

Sounds like someone hasn't actually looked before speaking.

I've looked, extensively. The hotels I saw offering monthly rates all required deposit.

I've stayed in several hotels in Bangkok on a monthly basis ... and never had to pay a deposit.

Correct in that your room may not be cleaned daily and most likely once a week, and obviously won't include any breakfast.  But every hotel is different so hence one has to speak directly with the manager and work out the best deal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 6:49 AM, BritManToo said:

I never had a problem getting security deposited back from a condo.

I rented two houses, one landlady a complete bitch, gave the money back no problems, one landlady really nice, kept the money. Most expensive house I rented was 7k/month (3 bed, 2 bath, nice garden).

There's no predicting people, of it there is it's beyond my ability to detect.

My firm rule never live anywhere that wants more than 1 month security.

Where do you find so cheap houses ? I need one for week ends (but ok to pay 1 year ahead), can you PM me please ?

Thank you.

Archived