Has anyone had laser prostate surgery?

Tracyb

On 6/29/2019 at 6:10 AM, stephenterry said:

After reading up about it, I found a post that recommended the following natural remedy:

Stop fluid intake a few hours before sleeping, plus eat a small handful of raisons, and enjoy your sleep... I have found that eating raisons up to 4 hours before bed is as effective. 

What reason is given for raisins reducing the need to urinate?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

What reason is given for raisins reducing the need to urinate?

There wasn't one. I suspect the interaction inside the human body together with a liquid withdrawal does not stimulate the need to urinate when sleeping.

Think ingesting calories that spikes insulin as a comparison, in that the body reacts to stimulation.

In any event it is harmless and worth a try. 

In my case, I now 'wake up' once in the night to urinate as opposed to several times. It's not perfect, but an improvement - and my flow returns to 'normal' once up and about in the daytime. 

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Had that been true I would still have my prostate. IMO it's just the genes that we were born with. Hence, some smoke like a train till they die and never get lung cancer.

I have no doubt that genes are a major factor leading to prostate problems.  My father had the same problem.  At the same time I believe there must be some things that a person can do to influence the health of the prostate or at least delaying increasing problems.

5 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

I have no doubt that genes are a major factor leading to prostate problems.  My father had the same problem.  At the same time I believe there must be some things that a person can do to influence the health of the prostate or at least delaying increasing problems.

I too am starting to suffer the same problems as my father. However, as far as BPH is concerned, he started suffering 30 years ago and the treatments at that time were nowhere near as advanced as they are now. Having said that, some of the medicines he has been on were so debilitating that he had to change meds and those meds are still common to this day. I can be pretty sure that if my dad suffered badly from the side effects, so too will I.  Unfortunately, he cannot remember which ones I should avoid. 

As to some of the popular meds now available, I have serious concerns about the side effects, as many reduce libido and can cause ED. My dad was became impotent by the time he was 62 and it was never resolved. That is not a position I would like to find myself in. I am 56 now. As a result, I would rather go for Rezum steam treatment than take 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors. 

As to supplements, some seem to work for some people but not others. Beta-sitosterol does not seem to be working for me. So next I will try pygeum or rye grass. However, I am under no delusion that I will be able to avoid meds indefinitely and that ultimately I may need to go in for one type of surgery or another.     

9 hours ago, GarryP said:

As to some of the popular meds now available, I have serious concerns about the side effects, as many reduce libido and can cause ED. My dad was became impotent by the time he was 62 and it was never resolved. That is not a position I would like to find myself in. I am 56 now. As a result, I would rather go for Rezum steam treatment than take 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors. 

Been taking Doxazocin + Finasteride for three months now.

Libido not reduced, weeing greatly improved (from not at all + catheter to normal).

Small amount of weight gain (from 75Kg to 79Kg), probably more to do with no exercise while carrying a wee bag for a month.

Not much dizziness unless I spring up from lying down, but I always had a bit of that.

So far, so good.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Libido not reduced, weeing greatly improved (from not at all + catheter to normal).

Small amount of weight gain (from 75Kg to 79Kg), probably more to do with no exercise while carrying a wee bag for a month.

Not much dizziness unless I spring up from lying down, but I always had a bit of that.

So far, so good.

Good for you. I know not everyone suffers from the side effects of these drugs, but my father and I seem to be unlucky when it comes to suffering side effects of various medicines. I often seem to suffer from some of the not so common side effects. Also 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors, which include Finasteride, now come with a warning that they may be linked to aggressive prostate cancer. With my luck with medicines, I would be reluctant to take that even though I have a quite low PSA.   

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So far, so good.

Do you ejaculate often?

That seems to help me.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, GarryP said:

As a result, I would rather go for Rezum steam treatment than take 5-Alpha Reductase Inhibitors. 

That will also be my next port of call if a second prostate op is required Garry. Seems to have a lot going for it from what I have read.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:43 AM, GarryP said:

Beta-sitosterol does not seem to be working for me. So next I will try pygeum or rye grass.

Sorry to hear that the Beta Sitosterol hasn't worked as it seems to for me, whereas the pygeum and rye grass didn't. Would be interested on your feedback.

And good luck.

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

That will also be my next port of call if a second prostate op is required Garry. Seems to have a lot going for it from what I have read.

Sorry to hear that the Beta Sitosterol hasn't worked as it seems to for me, whereas the pygeum and rye grass didn't. Would be interested on your feedback.

And good luck.

Thanks for letting me know about beta sitosterol in the first place. It was certainly worth a try.  I will finish off current supply in a few weeks and then give pygeum a try. 

Archived