Has anyone had laser prostate surgery?

Tracyb

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/18/2019 at 11:51 AM, Tracyb said:

Dr. Wittawat is my urologist

Do you know if he has a clinic where one can go initially instead of bkk hospital ?

On 5/18/2019 at 12:48 PM, Tracyb said:

I realize that the cost is high and I respect that everyone must make their own choices.  For me, this was a better alternative than returning to the states, organizing a place to stay, paying the airfare, and risking complications that would alter my return schedule.  I did it here because I liked the doctor and had confidence in him.  To each his own, right!

So, your considering the PAE treatment?  It certainly sounds like it is an acceptable alternative to ThuLEP.

I wish you the best!  Please keep us posted on how things work out for you.

I thought that price was reasonable. I paid 220,000 baht for gallbladder removal.

13 hours ago, rumak said:

Do you know if he has a clinic where one can go initially instead of bkk hospital ?

I did ask him about that....  He advised that he practices only at Bangkok Hospital CM.  It may be worth your while to go see him.  He’s conservative.... and thorough.

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

I did ask him about that....  He advised that he practices only at Bangkok Hospital CM.  It may be worth your while to go see him.  He’s conservative.... and thorough.

thanks, I am considering your recommendation.   I never like the added charges of private hospitals and their somewhat pretentious ways.... but such is the case I know.  

Actually I just have a case of diminishing returns  ????     Last couple of years the flow sure isn't what it used to be.  Normal it seems the older one gets.  I am late 60's.    As seen by the posts on this thread, there are many meds and theories on how to proceed.  

If anyone has had success improving the flow by "natural solutions"..... please offer your experience.

get well Tracy..... thanks for posting

20 minutes ago, rumak said:

thanks, I am considering your recommendation.   I never like the added charges of private hospitals and their somewhat pretentious ways.... but such is the case I know.  

Actually I just have a case of diminishing returns  ????     Last couple of years the flow sure isn't what it used to be.  Normal it seems the older one gets.  I am late 60's.    As seen by the posts on this thread, there are many meds and theories on how to proceed.  

If anyone has had success improving the flow by "natural solutions"..... please offer your experience.

get well Tracy..... thanks for posting

Taking Beta-Sitosterol helped me for a few years, although that seems to have tailed off a little over the past few months but you might want to do some reading on it and see what you think.

As you say there are other meds like Cardura XL and these seem to work for some people plus another poster mentioned Alfuzosin which seemed to work for him and they are both in the "alpha blocker family" although I do believe alfuzosin can interact with alcohol, so if you like a drink or three, this may be worth noting?

I had an old-fashioned TURP done 10 years ago and even reading up on it then, it appears that there are many men who need to have it done around 10 years after the original operation because of prostate regrowth (internal), and that is what I am investigating currently. However I will give the Cardura XL a try.

I like your expression "diminishing returns", and that has been the case with me just recently and I absolutely hate having to get up a couple of times in the night to have a pee, also hate feeling that I have a partially full bladder, even after having a pee, and these were the symptoms that made me have my first operation, after which, despite a few early set-backs, things were going well for a few years.

Now I think I'll have to make another decision and knowing all that is available, I am certain that I will be going down the new "steam injection" route, called Rezum and which has been tested by the NHI in the UK as well as by the relevant bodies in Australia and other countries.

I'm not keen on having foreign objects stapled into my body, and the Rezum treatment sounds like common sense if you think about it, and not only that, the whole procedure takes 15 minutes, so it will not be that expensive.

My research so far shows that it can be done in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, so after my trip to the UK for a holiday, I will come back here and seriously research a trip to Australia to get it done, so that I can stay with a friend on the Gold Coast at the same time.

I know another poster here had the thalium laser treatment, however I am over having hospital stays, catheters in place, and potential complications which can still occur with these, not to mention the cost.

So I would advise anyone who is considering having an operation on their prostate because of BPH to have a look at the Rezum treatment, because for me it seems the least expensive, least invasive operation with tested results and all over and done with within an hour all up.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Taking Beta-Sitosterol helped me for a few years, although that seems to have tailed off a little over the past few months but you might want to do some reading on it and see what you think.

As you say there are other meds like Cardura XL and these seem to work for some people plus another poster mentioned Alfuzosin which seemed to work for him and they are both in the "alpha blocker family" although I do believe alfuzosin can interact with alcohol, so if you like a drink or three, this may be worth noting?

I had an old-fashioned TURP done 10 years ago and even reading up on it then, it appears that there are many men who need to have it done around 10 years after the original operation because of prostate regrowth (internal), and that is what I am investigating currently. However I will give the Cardura XL a try.

I like your expression "diminishing returns", and that has been the case with me just recently and I absolutely hate having to get up a couple of times in the night to have a pee, also hate feeling that I have a partially full bladder, even after having a pee, and these were the symptoms that made me have my first operation, after which, despite a few early set-backs, things were going well for a few years.

Now I think I'll have to make another decision and knowing all that is available, I am certain that I will be going down the new "steam injection" route, called Rezum and which has been tested by the NHI in the UK as well as by the relevant bodies in Australia and other countries.

I'm not keen on having foreign objects stapled into my body, and the Rezum treatment sounds like common sense if you think about it, and not only that, the whole procedure takes 15 minutes, so it will not be that expensive.

My research so far shows that it can be done in the UK, Australia and New Zealand, so after my trip to the UK for a holiday, I will come back here and seriously research a trip to Australia to get it done, so that I can stay with a friend on the Gold Coast at the same time.

I know another poster here had the thalium laser treatment, however I am over having hospital stays, catheters in place, and potential complications which can still occur with these, not to mention the cost.

So I would advise anyone who is considering having an operation on their prostate because of BPH to have a look at the Rezum treatment, because for me it seems the least expensive, least invasive operation with tested results and all over and done with within an hour all up.

I have been trying the Beta-Sitosterol 115mg twice a day. I decided to give it a few months to see if it improved my flow but unfortunately, more than 6 months later, it has not. I may have to increase the dosage.

I will certainly study up on Rezum. Thanks for the heads up on this. 

I can absolutely say Doxazosin has considerably improved my flow.

(I can immediately influence the next day by going up or down by 1/2 a tab)

And at 1bht/tablet from my local hospital, I can't complain about the price.

Now taking 4mg (2 tabs) of an evening, I can get a little lightheaded for a few seconds when I get up (BP 86/70) from seated or lying down (mornings only), but it doesn't really harm me. 

60bht/month well spent.

Post giving detailed medical advise re medication dosage removed along with reply to it.

All medications have side effects and you should not alter dosage -- or adviose others to do so -- without consulting a doctor.

Regarding the many new treatments for BPH none of them are "one size fits all", i.e. they all have pros and cons and what will suit one patient may not suit another. The size of the prostate, overall health of the patient etc are all factors.

Unfortunately the range of treatments available in Thailand is more limited than is the case elsewhere. And when seeking one of the newer treatments one must take care to ensure the doctor has had adequate experience, you don't want to be part of someone's learning curve.

Thread moved to the health forum.

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Post giving detailed medical advise re medication dosage removed along with reply to it.

All medications have side effects and you should not alter dosage -- or adviose others to do so -- without consulting a doctor.

Regarding the many new treatments for BPH none of them are "one size fits all", i.e. they all have pros and cons and what will suit one patient may not suit another. The size of the prostate, overall health of the patient etc are all factors.

Unfortunately the range of treatments available in Thailand is more limited than is the case elsewhere. And when seeking one of the newer treatments one must take care to ensure the doctor has had adequate experience, you don't want to be part of someone's learning curve.

Thread moved to the health forum.

Is the prevalence of BPH  much lower in the Thai population and hence the limited range of treatments available in Thailand? I note that for mainland Chinese the prevalence is quite similar to the west so would have thought it would be about the same here. If it is the same, aren't Thais seeking treatment.  Surely it would be a money earner for the private hospitals and also an important treatment for government hospitals. Seems strange.  

Called into Fascino pharmacy (Suthep Rd) today to see if I could find a lower price for Finasteride 5mg.

They wanted 1,050bht for a packet of Firide 5mg, that's 250bht more than the same packet in my SanSai corner pharmacy (800bht).

I thought Fascino were supposed to be cheap? 

The prevalence is not lower as far as is known.

I am not sure why newer treatments haven't been taken up here but cost and population size may be factors. When it comes to treatments that require expensive equipment, this becomes cost effective only if there is a large volume of patients and Thailand has a comparatively small population. Which is also why CTs, MRIs etc are comparatively expensive here but dirt cheap in India.

On 5/4/2019 at 12:56 PM, BritManToo said:

Sold as Firide 5mg in Thai pharmacies, they all seem to have it but not cheap at 800bht for 30 tabs.

Harifin 5mg for 650 to 680 THB.

3 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Has anybody had good results using Avodart/dutasteride 0.5mg?

I took avodart for five years with good results.....then not.  I was taking it in combination with Flomax during that time, too.  I just had surgery.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Called into Fascino pharmacy (Suthep Rd) today to see if I could find a lower price for Finasteride 5mg.

They wanted 1,050bht for a packet of Firide 5mg, that's 250bht more than the same packet in my SanSai corner pharmacy (800bht).

I thought Fascino were supposed to be cheap? 

Peera Pharamacy down by Thapae Gate had Harifin finasteride 5mg for 650 THB at least a year ago.  I buy mine in Lamphun now for 680 THB.  Don't care about the extra 30 THB as I save that in petrol costs not having to drive to Chiang Mai. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:11 PM, xylophone said:

So sorry to hear that tbl although I think you did mention it once before in a post and I cringed at the thought of the post-op problems then, as I do now.

I must admit that I was terrified when I went in for my TURP although I had researched it well enough, however it wasn't plain sailing and several emergencies with the bladder not functioning properly and me having to self catheterise then, and a few years later when it seemed to be playing up again.

Even back in Thailand, I have had a bladder neck incision operation and even that didn't go too well.

Nowhere near your experiences, but this is the sort of thing which can really get you down.

I really do hope that you manage to get some good and bright periods in your life, because it is those which make life worth living.

Thank you for your sympathy. I too had an incision in the urethral scar in a second op as the scarring closed the urethra up and I was dribbling again, like before the op. I also self catheterised once a week for 3 years. As it happened, it allowed them to redo the operation incision as a very stupid nurse removed all my sutures at the same time and the wound opened up. Healed with a very horrible scar. Second time the surgeon used an internal dissolving suture, and hardly see the scar now.

Op left me incontinent, which is an everlasting curse, and other side effects which you can probably guess. Still, I saved lots of money by not needing to go to bars anymore, so not entirely a bad thing.

Other side effects too, but not going into them on here.

Whatever, anyone going in for the prostatectomy should realise that it is indeed a life changing operation, even if life saving.

I hope that anyone offered radiation post op does some research first. When I read that I could get elephantiasis from the radiation, I declined their attempt to give it to me, and still alive 14 years later, happily without elephantiasis.

23 hours ago, connda said:

Peera Pharamacy down by Thapae Gate had Harifin finasteride 5mg for 650 THB at least a year ago.  I buy mine in Lamphun now for 680 THB.  Don't care about the extra 30 THB as I save that in petrol costs not having to drive to Chiang Mai. 

Just found a website selling them 599 + 50bht post, cheaper for more boxes.

http://www.harifin.net/

I'll give Peera a go tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Op left me incontinent, which is an everlasting curse, and other side effects which you can probably guess. Still, I saved lots of money by not needing to go to bars anymore, so not entirely a bad thing.

Other side effects too, but not going into them on here

Sounds awful, sorry to hear that happened t you.

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, fhickson said:

After reading some of the other posts here i am now lookjng forward to getting it done and catching any probkems early.

In my experience the digital exam was really nothing much, just a bit of poking around. Remember that a good poo is probably way bigger than a finger.

The one that was uncomfortable was the biopsy, with a much larger tube. After, I said to the person doing the biopsy that I didn't understand how homosexuals enjoyed getting it up the bum, as it was quite uncomfortable!

Don't let that put you off though, as while uncomfortable, it was tolerable, and necessary for a proper diagnosis. Depending on the PSA, it may not even be necessary.

No man should ever get a prostatectomy done on PSA alone. Always need a biopsy.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Sounds awful, sorry to hear that happened t you.

Thanks. 

One never knows before hand just what side effects one will get, of course. If one has a family and wants to live for them, I suppose one risks it all. 

In my case, I wish I had just had the laser surgery ( it was just staring to be used then ) to open up the urethra so I could pee properly ( my only symptom was difficulty peeing ), and then spending as much time as possible in Thailand enjoying what was left of my life. In other words, going out with a bang, LOL.

However, if wishes were horses, what a team I'd have, and all that. It's too late, baby, it's too late...……………….

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:23 PM, BritManToo said:

The nurse doing my catheter was extremely young, very pretty, and full nurse outfit with hat and skirt.

I was worried there might be a problem!

LOL. It's usually a male nurse doing catheterisations on male patients while they are awake. You must have been born lucky.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In my case, I wish I had just had the laser surgery ( it was just staring to be used then ) to open up the urethra so I could pee properly ( my only symptom was difficulty peeing ), and then spending as much time as possible in Thailand enjoying what was left of my life. In other words, going out with a bang, LOL.

My only symptom was not being able to pee at all.

After a week with a catheter, out 2 days, then another 2 weeks with a catheter, out 9 days now, hopefully I won't need anything but the drugs which are actually good, as I feel a bit pissed every morning without the alcohol.

2x very pretty young female nurse, 1x slightly gay looking male nurse.

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

After, I said to the person doing the biopsy that I didn't understand how homosexuals enjoyed getting it up the bum, as it was quite uncomfortable!

Exactly the same words as I said to my doctor/surgeon in New Zealand when he was undertaking the DRE.

Imagine my surprise when three years later on a return visit to NZ, at which time I always visited him

because he was such a fantastic doctor, he told me that he had left his wife and had a new partner, and his partners name was Graham, and I thought he was joking so I made a limp wrist comment and action to him and he didn't smile, telling me that he always suspected he might be gay, but never did anything about it, despite having a wife and two children!!

It was then that my mind flashed back to the many times that he had performed a DRE on me.............?

I may add that he is the best Dr I have ever had as well as a great surgeon, and I told him so.

Archived