Has anyone had laser prostate surgery?

Tracyb

18 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

The doc instructed me to stop taking Avodart...no longer needed.  I stopped taking Flomax the day of the surgery so now, no BPH meds. Yea!  I remain on antibiotics for another five days....Lovofloxacin 750mg. once a day.

My pal had a TURP done at McCormick (4 years back), he is still instructed to take Finasteride every day as the doc says it's likely to grow back and re-block without it.

So two different doctors have wildly different opinions.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

OBTW...

heres a link to the Harvard Health website with information about BPH meds.  If the link doesn’t work for you, try cut and paste.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/your-benign-prostatic-hyperplasia-medication-when-to-consider-a-change-2009031134

Extremely dated (2007), the costs of the medications listed are wildly wrong.

5 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Lovofloxacin 750mg.

Has your body had any side effects from this antibiotic ?    One other poster said he was cured of his problems by taking it (against drs  recommendations)......  and BritMan is also taking it.   I was going to try ciprofloxacin for a month as it is similar and I did take it long time ago for stomach pain.   There is a possibility for some (like myself) that the problem is bacterial prostatitis that is the real issue.  Difficult to

diagnose and doctors don't like to go that route it seems.

Tracy,  glad to hear all is progressing well for you.  Great that you have taken the time to share as there

are a few of us  facing similar issues.   Input from other members also appreciated !

1 minute ago, rumak said:

Has your body had any side effects from this antibiotic ?    One other poster said he was cured of his problems by taking it (against drs  recommendations)......  and BritMan is also taking it.   I was going to try ciprofloxacin for a month as it is similar and I did take it long time ago for stomach pain.   There is a possibility for some (like myself) that the problem is bacterial prostatitis that is the real issue.  Difficult to

diagnose and doctors don't like to go that route it seems.

I haven’t had any side effects from levofloxacin.  I’ve only been on it for 10 days with five more days to go.  I’m not happy about taking any antibiotics for a long term because they may lose effectiveness for me in the future.  Bacterial prostatitis can be diagnosed in a lab.  At least it was for me many years ago.  See what Wittawat has to say.......

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

I haven’t had any side effects from levofloxacin.  I’ve only been on it for 10 days with five more days to go.  I’m not happy about taking any antibiotics for a long term because they may lose effectiveness for me in the future.  Bacterial prostatitis can be diagnosed in a lab.  At least it was for me many years ago.  See what Wittawat has to say.......

Bacterial prostatitis can be diagnosed in a lab ONLY if it is "active" at the time of the urine sample.

Those who are self-medicating on Finasteride and whom are at risk for prostate cancer need to be aware that the drug masks the PSA. My American friend was given Finasteride by his GP to shrink his prostate. 2 years later he began having lots of problems and was referred to a urologist. He checked PSA and it was 11.0. After stopping Finasteride and checking again his PSA was 32.8. Half his prostate was cancerous. He was given injections to stop production of testosterone before and after radiotherapy. As a result he suffered 2 massive heart attacks and he was only 50 (one of the risks of the hormone therapy). He told me that the doc really lectured him about taking Finasteride and not being followed by a urologist.

52 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Those who are self-medicating on Finasteride and whom are at risk for prostate cancer need to be aware that the drug masks the PSA. My American friend was given Finasteride by his GP to shrink his prostate. 2 years later he began having lots of problems and was referred to a urologist. He checked PSA and it was 11.0. After stopping Finasteride and checking again his PSA was 32.8. Half his prostate was cancerous. He was given injections to stop production of testosterone before and after radiotherapy. As a result he suffered 2 massive heart attacks and he was only 50 (one of the risks of the hormone therapy). He told me that the doc really lectured him about taking Finasteride and not being followed by a urologist.

Do you recall what kind of problems he complained about?

1 hour ago, elektrified said:

My PSA was 2 before I started taking any drugs (Finesteride 5mg), so it's probably 1 by now.

3 hours ago, Tracyb said:

I’m not happy about taking any antibiotics for a long term because they may lose effectiveness for me in the future.

This is false logic (or bad science).

Bacteria only becomes resistant if it isn't killed by the course of antibiotics you are taking.

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My PSA was 2 before I started taking any drugs (Finesteride 5mg), so it's probably 1 by now.

Right. You are low risk at 2.0. My PSA has been as high as 13.4 and for years I checked PSA every 3 months, so I was high-risk and Finasteride was not recommended in my case.

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Do you recall what kind of problems he complained about?

Just checked the emails from my friend......frequent and urgent urinating, burning sensation while urinating, difficulty getting an erection, painful ejaculation, general pain and discomfort in the lower abdomen.

4 hours ago, rumak said:

Tracy,  glad to hear all is progressing well for you.  Great that you have taken the time to share as there

are a few of us  facing similar issues.   Input from other members also appreciated !

rumak, I got your message but have no idea how to answer on the mobile app.

I would definately go see the urologist that the other poster recommended. Take urine tests, check PSA, DRE....etc. before taking Cipro. Discuss your symptoms, etc.

I will say this much, urologists in Thailand are not very proactive. You have to do a lot of research on your own, ask lots of questions, etc. They are quick to recommend biopsies (often I think they are not necessary). I suggested for years that I may be suffering from prostatitis and neither of my surgeons were interested in discussing it. They always said "oh no, you have negative UA. No prostatitis." Finally after pressing one of them, he conceded I could have non-bacterial prostatitis after my 2nd biopsy showed inflammation on some of the cores. He recommended I take Levofloxacin 500 mg. for 30 days and I felt better than I had in years. Very rarely now do I ever get up at night to pee.

43 minutes ago, elektrified said:

rumak, I got your message but have no idea how to answer on the mobile app.

I would definately go see the urologist that the other poster recommended. Take urine tests, check PSA, DRE....etc. before taking Cipro. Discuss your symptoms, etc.

I will say this much, urologists in Thailand are not very proactive. You have to do a lot of research on your own, ask lots of questions, etc. They are quick to recommend biopsies (often I think they are not necessary). I suggested for years that I may be suffering from prostatitis and neither of my surgeons were interested in discussing it. They always said "oh no, you have negative UA. No prostatitis." Finally after pressing one of them, he conceded I could have non-bacterial prostatitis after my 2nd biopsy showed inflammation on some of the cores. He recommended I take Levofloxacin 500 mg. for 30 days and I felt better than I had in years. Very rarely now do I ever get up at night to pee.

thanks.  Once in a while I will PM so as not to distract too much from original post.  My PSA has been 2 or under for years.  I almost never take antibiotics,  but many years ago did take cipro for a stomach issue. It worked.  I have been trying to get over a slight stomach problem now naturally, but given the circumstances think I will take cipro tomorrow.  At the least, it can solve that problem.  Will see the Dr mentioned here next week at which time I can ask his opinion on going a full month.  If I am as lucky as you it just might clear up the BPH.  I doubt if the DR will think its a great idea but if I have no bad side effects I want to do it.  I will not get a biopsy, thats for sure since my symptoms are not extreme. I will listen to what Wittarat says as  TracyB  portrays him as patient and informative.  FWIW... cipro was also shown in studies to reach the prostate and be effective. (same class as Levofloxacine)

21 minutes ago, rumak said:

Will see the Dr mentioned here next week at which time I can ask his opinion on going a full month.  If I am as lucky as you it just might clear up the BPH.  I doubt if the DR will think its a great idea but if I have no bad side effects I want to do it.

My doctor said 'absolutely not', so I ignored him and took Levofloxacin anyway.

Medical dosage papers say 30 days for prostate problems.

"Four weeks after therapy, the bacterial clearance rates was higher with levofloxacin than with ciprofloxacin (86.06% vs. 60.30%, respectively; P<0.05), suggesting that levofloxacin shows better bacterial clearance in the prostate than ciprofloxacin."

Levo gives a massively higher cure rate for prostate infections, 86% Vs 60%

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3720113/

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

"Four weeks after therapy, the bacterial clearance rates was higher with levofloxacin than with ciprofloxacin (86.06% vs. 60.30%, respectively; P<0.05), suggesting that levofloxacin shows better bacterial clearance in the prostate than ciprofloxacin."

That is significant. Worked very well for me. But I relapsed after 4-5 weeks and needed a 2nd round. Been about 2 months now. Feel great. I still take Alfuzosin.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

you know the internet.  there will always be conflicting studies .  I chose to go with this one concluded this year 2019    https://prostate.net/articles/cipro-for-prostatitis/

clearance rates almost identical.    ( i do note that it says levo can better penetrate the prostate,  but since success rates were so similar I don't really know what that means)

I also am very sure that the DR i see will not recommend taking either one.  I believe a onetime course of 30 days which has some possibility of curing is worth a try instead of agreeing to meds that you have to take every day forever. Those drugs all have potential

serious side effects as well !

• 4 weeks later...

Here’s an update on my recovery.....

Im doing great.  It's been a month and a week since my surgery.  No more discomfort.  Down to once a night trips to the john, (down from 3-4 pre-surgery).  drinking about 2.5 - 3.0 liters of water every day and making less frequent runs to pee!  When I DO go, the stream is strong and I empty my bladder completely.  

During the first three weeks post surgery I had some discomfort when sitting for a long period or when driving in the car.  The road bumps and jostles wore on me after a few minutes, but all that is gone now.  I also had some experiences passing various bits of debris in my urine.  I went back and spoke the Dr. Wittawat and he assured me this was normal.  Everything is clear now.

So I guess I'm pretty well all healed now but I remain a bit cautious, not overdoing things.  Im contemplating a return to the gym tomorrow, actually. We'll see how that goes.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me!

50 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

And an update from me .......

I'm doing fine on Doxazocin + finasteride tablets every day.

Can wee perfectly well again, no surgery required.

Cycled 20Km yesterday then walked 3.5Km.

Is that after taking the Levofloxacin?

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Is that after taking the Levofloxacin?

30 days of levo 500mg finished 3 weeks back.

I've gradually increased my exercise since then, the hint of tendon pain I felt while taking the pills, finished the day after I stopped taking them.

Thank you Tracy, for sharing your experiences on Enlarged Prostate gland.

I have had the problem for over 30 years. Effects vary over the years from pass water in say a minute and soaked trousers, to 4-5 visits / night.

I have passed on your knowledge to a fellow sufferer.

At least 5 Drs including Dr Tavachai, Loi Kroh Clinic have assured me there is no connection between Prostate Cancer and Enlargement. You can be unlucky and have both but one does not mean the other.

Thank you.

john 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:23 AM, jonwilly said:

Thank you Tracy, for sharing your experiences on Enlarged Prostate gland.

I have had the problem for over 30 years. Effects vary over the years from pass water in say a minute and soaked trousers, to 4-5 visits / night.

I have passed on your knowledge to a fellow sufferer.

At least 5 Drs including Dr Tavachai, Loi Kroh Clinic have assured me there is no connection between Prostate Cancer and Enlargement. You can be unlucky and have both but one does not mean the other.

Thank you.

john 

??????

If one has prostate cancer, surely it causes enlargement of the prostate. That is why the urethra gets closed off. Seems logical to me.

However, if one has an enlarged prostate it does not mean one has cancer. That can only be confirmed with a biopsy. The PSA test is not 100% reliable.

I have an elevated PSA score (in the grey area between 4-10), I prefer avoiding having a biopsy if not necessary. 

Does anyone know if other tests are available in Chiangmai.  For example free PSA test, p2PSA or "The Prostate Health Index" test.

Also is a high resolution Telsa 3.0 MRI-S Scan available anywhere in Chiangmai and can they do Prostate C.M.P?  It looks for cancerous legions.

Thank you in advance.

3 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

I have an elevated PSA score (in the grey area between 4-10), I prefer avoiding having a biopsy if not necessary. 

Does anyone know if other tests are available in Chiangmai.  For example free PSA test, p2PSA or "The Prostate Health Index" test.

Also is a high resolution Telsa 3.0 MRI-S Scan available anywhere in Chiangmai and can they do Prostate C.M.P?  It looks for cancerous legions.

Thank you in advance.

No, the tests you are referring to are not available here. I spoke with two of the authors of the study in Thailand about it, but I believe the cost of the one test alone was 30K Baht and that didn't go over very well here. It's not clear to me if they are even available in Bangkok or not.

Free PSA is available. You can take that at Sriphat or elsewhere.

Tesla 3.0 MRI not available in Chiang Mai. The Faculty of Medicine at CMU is getting a machine but it seems to be delayed by months now. Suan Dok does have the Tesla 1.5 with the endorectal coil which images right up against the prostate. It is more accurate than the abdominal scanner. The abdominal scanner is fine with Tesla 3.0. I had 2 MRI's here. The brand new Philips Tesla 1.5 machine with abdominal scanner proved to be useless. I demanded my money back - and got it. The older GE or Siemens machine with endorectal coil was preferred by the Professor of Radiology as it gets a better image. Tesla 3.0 available in 2 or 3 places in Bangkok. Next MRI I get will be Tesla 3.0 for sure.

Can't answer re the C.M.P.

My experience is that urologists in Thailand are kind of behind the curve on many new technologies and are eager to take (sometimes multiple) biopsies instead of employing other diagnostics. I've had two biopsies already.

Thank you in advance.

The Psa is a false negative unless of course it sky rockets from your last test.You should have a digital exam,IMOP I don’t know if you ever had a biopsy,it’s a piece of cake

7 hours ago, elektrified said:

No, the tests you are referring to are not available here. I spoke with two of the authors of the study in Thailand about it, but I believe the cost of the one test alone was 30K Baht and that didn't go over very well here. It's not clear to me if they are even available in Bangkok or not.

Free PSA is available. You can take that at Sriphat or elsewhere.

Tesla 3.0 MRI not available in Chiang Mai. The Faculty of Medicine at CMU is getting a machine but it seems to be delayed by months now. Suan Dok does have the Tesla 1.5 with the endorectal coil which images right up against the prostate. It is more accurate than the abdominal scanner. The abdominal scanner is fine with Tesla 3.0. I had 2 MRI's here. The brand new Philips Tesla 1.5 machine with abdominal scanner proved to be useless. I demanded my money back - and got it. The older GE or Siemens machine with endorectal coil was preferred by the Professor of Radiology as it gets a better image. Tesla 3.0 available in 2 or 3 places in Bangkok. Next MRI I get will be Tesla 3.0 for sure.

Can't answer re the C.M.P.

My experience is that urologists in Thailand are kind of behind the curve on many new technologies and are eager to take (sometimes multiple) biopsies instead of employing other diagnostics. I've had two biopsies already.

Thank you so much much very helpful

Archived