Retirement Visa Renewal

Xmas

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Additional money.

That's why I've asserted that the recent onerous rule changes towards super seasoning on steroids is in EFFECT a crafty way to RAISE the financial requirements. 

Others have pushed back saying there was no raise in financial requirements, mostly people that have always just kept a static 800K anyway.

But I feel they're totally wrong. They were already meeting these crafty HIGHER levels. 

Also keep in mind for the rest of the year you aren't allowed to go one baht under 400K baht. That's part of the scheme to virtually RAISE the financial requirements.

This represents a MAJOR change, a major NEGATIVE change from the POV of retired expats using the 800K method. 

The 800K is basically a fixed, long term bank deposit used as a continuous financial  'Bond' for immigration extensions only,  it can't really be considered as a liquid fund available for day to day living expenses, where clearly, additional income/deposits are required. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 12:10 PM, Xmas said:

Thank you for the info. Motdaeng it seems from your post that 2 months is the official position. I wonder if anyone has tested this recently?

Some offices are requiring Three months unless this is the first extension than two months

• Like 2

The 800K is basically a fixed, long term bank deposit used as a continuous financial  'Bond' for immigration extensions only,  it can't really be considered as a liquid fund available for day to day living expenses, where clearly, additional income/deposits are required. 
Perhaps is closer to that now.
Not before the changes!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/7/2019 at 7:45 PM, sfokevin said:

Also the law says you can not spend down below 400k in the non seasoning months

I withdrew all 800k after renewing my extention last month, as the new regulation isn’t in force at my immigration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

I withdrew all 800k after renewing my extention last month, as the new regulation isn’t in force at my immigration.

That was risky. It may be in effect when you go in for your next one meaning at the very least that you'd be ineligible for your next extension.

Would that be unfair?

So what else is new?

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That was risky. It may be in effect when you go in for your next one meaning at the very least that you'd be ineligible for your next extension.

Would that be unfair?

So what else is new?

May be he has the Embassy  lettter? 

Additional money.
That's why I've asserted that the recent onerous rule changes towards super seasoning on steroids is in EFFECT a crafty way to RAISE the financial requirements. 
Others have pushed back saying there was no raise in financial requirements, mostly people that have always just kept a static 800K anyway.
But I feel they're totally wrong. They were already meeting these crafty HIGHER levels. 
Also keep in mind for the rest of the year you aren't allowed to go one baht under 400K baht. That's part of the scheme to virtually RAISE the financial requirements.
This represents a MAJOR change, a major NEGATIVE change from the POV of retired expats using the 800K method. 

I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 11:42 PM, villagefarang said:

Regardless of what anyone might tell you on here, you would be safer going for the 3 months or more.  You won't get far arguing technicalities with a government official. 

You are spot on. And anyone whose been in Thailand longer than a day knows inconsistency is quite consistent here. Each office throughout the Kingdom may have different interpretations of the same law...and each officer in the same office may have different interpretations. Do 3 months to be on the safe side or don't say you weren't warned. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Phayao Immigration have an obsession that bank statement/ passbook must be updated on the day of application. The day before, when I visited my bank to get all the papers in order, is not acceptable.  K Bank system will not update the passbook if there has not been a deposit/withdrawal since the last update.  Immigration will no accept this, believing that sinc eI got the letter confirming bank statement, I have withdrawn all my money and spent it.

2 hour rushing between I/O and K/bank before this was resolved by depositing 100B into my account.

Maybe only Phayao, but an indication of how unreasonable I/O can be, or want to be.

it seems o me that the only way to get the visa you want, (I want a retirement visa) is to find out what that particular I/O want and the do that.  Claiming that 'the rules' or 'the I/O website' states something different is a waste of time.  Each I/O is a law unto itself, and there is no appeal.  if you do not like that, then go and live someplace else.  TIT !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robin said:

the only way to get the visa you want, (I want a retirement visa) is to find out what that particular I/O want and the do that. 

But that has been standard operating procedure for many, many years already. The foibles and peccadilloes of Thai Immigration officers are legend.

21 hours ago, Robin said:

Phayao Immigration have an obsession that bank statement/ passbook must be updated on the day of application. The day before, when I visited my bank to get all the papers in order, is not acceptable.  K Bank system will not update the passbook if there has not been a deposit/withdrawal since the last update.  Immigration will no accept this, believing that sinc eI got the letter confirming bank statement, I have withdrawn all my money and spent it.

2 hour rushing between I/O and K/bank before this was resolved by depositing 100B into my account.

Maybe only Phayao, but an indication of how unreasonable I/O can be, or want to be.

it seems o me that the only way to get the visa you want, (I want a retirement visa) is to find out what that particular I/O want and the do that.  Claiming that 'the rules' or 'the I/O website' states something different is a waste of time.  Each I/O is a law unto itself, and there is no appeal.  if you do not like that, then go and live someplace else.  TIT !

I did know about this. I had asked when I did my last 90 day report. I did my Retirement Extension in April using income method. 

What I found strange is they wanted a photocopy of my wife's ID and her blue house book. My wife was with me. I was also told that next year my photo on the TM7 has to be without glasses.

They also wanted a copy of my most recent TM30. At Phayao you are required to do a TM30 if you stay overnight away from your normal residence.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Jeez, they sound like a fun bunch in Phayao.

I go for my retirement in Chiang Rai on Wednesday, but I am taking my wife as back up in case the retirement route fails.

Why should it fail, well because when I tried to ask them on my last 90 report, whether a combination of income and bank funds would work, they guy said at first 'do I have monthly statements for the income' and it struck me that my foreign deposits to SCB have not been monthly but do amount to way more than the required 800K ( income + funds ).

And then later he called me over to ask if I had 2 bank a/c's in Thailand, to which I replied 'no'. 

That was worrying.

This will be my fifth retirement extension in a row, but it for sure don't get easier with the passage of time.

• 2 weeks later...