Unemployed Thai man nabbed in Bangkok for "doing a runner" at luxury hotel restaurants

rooster59

Unemployed Thai man nabbed in Bangkok for "doing a runner" at luxury hotel restaurants

runner.JPG

Image: Daily News

A Thai man was arrested at a restaurant table by Lumpini police yesterday after he was recognized by hotel staff as the man responsible for not paying expensive food bills. 

Thanakrit "Min" Werotnanan, 29, would dress well and rack up big bills at luxury hotel dining rooms for expensive food and wine. 

But when the time came to pay the bill he would pretend to sneak off to the toilet and engage in an illegal activity that Brits call "doing a runner". 

Police had studied CCTV at three hotels and warnings had been issued at hotels in their jurisdiction to look out for the miscreant. Yesterday he was spotted while dining and nabbed at the table.

His face was as red as his wine when the cops marched in, reported Daily News.

He admitted to the following cases:

1. The Athenee Hotel Unpaid bill: 18,841 baht.
2. The St. Regis Bangkok 3,800 baht
3. Park Hotel 16,030 baht. 

Now the hotels want their money back and other establishments that might have fallen victim to his activities have been asked to contact the Lumpini constabulary. 

Min said he had no regular work.

He was charged with "consuming food and beverage that he could not afford to pay for". 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-04

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

He was charged with "consuming food and beverage that he could not afford to pay for". 

He could always stick his fingers down his throat and offer it back .. 

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

he would pretend to sneak off to the toilet and engage in an illegal activity that Brits call "doing a runner".

Gawd blimey .. Ee's only gorn an' had it away on 'is toes wivvout payin' the Jimmy Hill .. 

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

He'll be washing dishes for a few years

The maximum punishment is 3 months imprisonment or a 500 baht fine or both (Section 345 Criminal Code), but the sentence could be imposed consecutively for each offence.

Trust the Poms to teach Thai's bad habits  :cheesy:  ????

The charge of consuming food and drink he could not afford to pay for, can I use this against the outlaws when they visit?  :whistling:

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Wow, 38,000 Baht for a meal..........how did he do that, my Wife was not with him.........well, I don;t think she was.........:tongue:

Wine prices are insane in upmarket hotels. 2000b about the cheapest .

So much for free trade agreements.

This joker must of been hitting the singing sauce pretty hard I would think.

Surprised his luck held out till the fourth restaurant.

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

There it is again, the half-arsed BS excuse that forced him into being a douchebag. Ground control to Major Min ... come in. 10 out of 10 for being totally living in La La Land dude. Some jail time will do him wonders.

1 hour ago, monkeycu said:

Trust the Poms to teach Thai's bad habits  :cheesy:  ????

The charge of consuming food and drink he could not afford to pay for, can I use this against the outlaws when they visit?  :whistling:

LOL! I couln't believe there was such a charge when translating this story - but that's the sum of what it says!

Rooster

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

But when the time came to pay the bill he would pretend to sneak off to the toilet and engage in an illegal activity that Brits call "doing a runner". 

is he a dual national?

57 minutes ago, Peterbkk99 said:

Also I find the price of the meals shockingly high. It is the equivalent of around 3 times the monthly minimum wage. 

I've absolutely no problem spending £200 to 500 per night in a quality international hotel in BKK or any other city.  We only do it at most half a dozen times per year but we never dine in and never been dragged to their inhouse restaurants and force fed foie gras.  It's a choice and not compulsory.

Do people visit the Porsche dealer and feel justified in stealing the latest model because the price is shockingly high?

There are a lot of worse crimes. I don't condone it but find the image of him quaffing some ludicrously expensive wine somehow rather amusing. Better that than mugging some old lady or any of the corrupt practices that many hi-so inflict on the poor on a daily basis and using those proceeds to pay the bill. 

3 minutes ago, gilo said:

There are a lot of worse crimes. I don't condone it but find the image of him quaffing some ludicrously expensive wine somehow rather amusing. Better that than mugging some old lady or any of the corrupt practices that many hi-so inflict on the poor on a daily basis and using those proceeds to pay the bill. 

I sort of get where you're coming from but ultimately you're justifying crime.  Would you be so tolerant if he beat you up and nicked your wallet so he could eat at such an establishment?  What's the difference as you only took a minor beating.   

Didn't New York have an out of control crime level years ago so the mayor, or whoever, decided to go for a zero tolerance approach and decree that every crime, however insignificant, was still a crime and would therefore not be tolerated.  Eventually NY law and order regained control.

21 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Are hotel high prices ++ tax not also a rip off?

Hotel prices are as much as you can afford.  Isn't that the beauty of the choice that's laid out in front of you?  I always factor in the additional tax in making my final decision on a room.  

Is everyone so concerned about what they can't afford these days?  Personally, if I want something then I work towards attaining what I want to achieve.  If it means putting in a few hours of extra work a week then that's what I'll do.  

31 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Hotel prices are as much as you can afford.  Isn't that the beauty of the choice that's laid out in front of you?  I always factor in the additional tax in making my final decision on a room.  

Is everyone so concerned about what they can't afford these days?  Personally, if I want something then I work towards attaining what I want to achieve.  If it means putting in a few hours of extra work a week then that's what I'll do.  

Isn't Thailand getting ridiculously expensive anyway? And with greed as the driving force it's gonna get worse.

We all fall for looks or self impressions. This good looking young man or ...”con-man” should go into sales. He’d be good at it. 

( Or write up a review on the local hotel restaurants.) I wonder which restaurant was his favorite? 

37 minutes ago, toenail said:

We all fall for looks or self impressions. This good looking young man or ...”con-man” should go into sales. He’d be good at it. 

( Or write up a review on the local hotel restaurants.) I wonder which restaurant was his favorite? 

Do a write up on the ones that are the easiest to do a runner and which table is the best to sit at

12 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Isn't Thailand getting ridiculously expensive anyway? And with greed as the driving force it's gonna get worse.

"Greed as the driving force"

Very well said. Sums up perfectly how things are in Thailand today. From restaurants, to private hospitals, condos, taxis (think Phuket), nightlife entertainment (mostly establishments that are not farang-managed), abuse to the environment (deforestation, encroachment, overfishing), and pretty much everything you can think of

Archived