Beaches packed on Labor Day

Rimmer

Beaches packed on Labor Day

image.png

PATTAYA:--It didn’t fall on a long weekend this year, but Labor Day still was booming in Pattaya and Jomtien.

Visitors from Chonburi to Bangkok struggled through heavy traffic to reach Pattaya and Jomtien beaches May 1, cars filled with family members and picnic baskets.

Normally area beaches are devoid of beach umbrellas on Wednesdays. But for the holiday, city hall made an exception, allowing vendors to cash in on the big crowds and spare beachgoers the brutal sun baking Thailand this hot season.

Of course, sun worshippers laid out for a tan while others hit the water for rides on jet skis and banana boats.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-05-04--

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

"Rides on jet skis and banana boats".

That makes a refreshing change it would normally read scams.

Those days are long gone. Must be a while since you visited Pattaya, if ever.

44 minutes ago, Kim J said:

Quite the contrary. There was a story on these very forums only a couple of weeks ago relating to dodgy banana boat operators.

In Pattaya? I don't think so.

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

In civilised countries, Labour Day is shuffled about (to Mondays) to ensure it's a long weekend.  No wonder the intersections on the railway road were gridlocked.

They frequently are, idiots go halfway and block them. 

I could make true but negative comments but I won't because I have suffered the traffic into Brighton and Bognor on a bank holiday weekend.

Horrendous, but as a courier at least I was getting double bubble and a day off in lou.

11 hours ago, tabarin said:

Funny how certain Thais go away from their AC home because it is so hot

Funny you'd think any part of the reason they go away from their AC homes (those who have AC) is because it is so hot

and a holiday

YES

, to then go to the beach without AC or fan

I'm not sure where the beaches are with AC and fans. Enlighten us? 

, and not swim.

You seem to think that swimming is the only purpose of going to the beach. Far from it. It can be mostly a social occasion, esp at holidays. Many do swim, however. We don't like that idea here, 'cause it's contrary to the narrative that the water is full of turds, eats your skin, and infects you with disease, so nobody swims. Besides going to the beach, they may also hit the air-conditioned mall. Have you ever noticed shower facilities and changing rooms on Thai beaches?

Anyway, I'm also not sure (as I'm usually not) what's uniquely Thai about leaving an air conditioned or fan-cooled house or hotel room and going to the beach maybe just to sit under an umbrella alone or with a friend (friends/family), enjoy the view, read a book, quaff a cool one etc, and yet have no particular interest in swimming. I see farang commonly doing exactly that. Maybe if you look closer then Thais won't seem so funny to you. 

Archived