Pattaya: Foreign pensioner robbed of 560,000 baht in Euros left in his safe

rooster59

Pattaya: Foreign pensioner robbed of 560,000 baht in Euros left in his safe

59321484_2462773427089310_4941745751089741824_n.jpg

Image: Ruk Siam News

A foreign pensioner arrived home in the early hours of this morning to find that his home had been ransacked. 

Sixty nine year old Christopher Knight - nationality unknown to Ruk Siam News - found his safe smashed open and 16,000 Euros worth 560,000 baht gone. 

A CCTV server had been ripped out and along with alarm equipment had been thrown in the swimming pool in an apparent attempt to hide evidence. 

The theft occurred at the bungalow in the Lakeview Exclusive Villa in Soi Praphanimit. 

Nong Prue police are investigating. The property was dusted for fingerprints and the damaged CCTV equipment is being examined to see if it will offer up any clues. 

A video on Ruk Siam News showed the aftermath of the theft this morning. 

Source: Ruk Siam News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-04

58909890_2462773460422640_9045485735678836736_n.jpg

57368807_2462773490422637_6587432371144884224_n.jpg

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

That looks like he had one of those hotel toy-safes. Keep some fake gold in one of these and let the thief walk away satisfied

9 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

most of the safes you would buy for home use are not 'safe', a tour on you tube will show why..

Forget that potato trick , my safe only resulted in that with shaken the battery's , so did not open , and needed the key .:thumbsup:  (I tried that myself..)

Besides I never ever would use or buy a safe with hinges outside ….easy to use a electric disc cutter or welder 

Looks like he had a business seeing so many files in as office looking small room where safe was bolted to the wall, and in a nice compound …. they knew where to look for cash

21 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

red shorts and a white belt? too bad they did not steal his wardrobe.  

Ooooh you heartless b+tch!!

Just as well That Was The Week is already written or you might have got post of the week!!

Rooster

I have always thought keeping money and valuables in a safe is a stupid idea. If someone breaks into your house they will be looking for the safe.

I have always used the bury in the garden method. It is a bit more work, but much safer.

5 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Man, those thieves sure were lucky to have gone to just the right home in the village that contained all that money...????

And knowing where he would be that night ...

6 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I have always thought keeping money and valuables in a safe is a stupid idea. If someone breaks into your house they will be looking for the safe.

I have always used the bury in the garden method. It is a bit more work, but much safer.

And they say money doesn't grow on trees, after twenty years it will.

6 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I have buried my safe in the garden.

54 minutes ago, david555 said:

Forget that potato trick , my safe only resulted in that with shaken the battery's , so did not open , and needed the key .:thumbsup:  (I tried that myself..)

Besides I never ever would use or buy a safe with hinges outside ….easy to use a electric disc cutter or welder 

Looks like he had a business seeing so many files in as office looking small room where safe was bolted to the wall, and in a nice compound …. they knew where to look for cash

Can sometimes be the case that our Thai "guests" are casing our joint.

Partly why in later years I'd use a short-time hotel for brief assignations.

I spent many year living in condos (with a good safe) where only farang friends would come for a drink or coffee.

Bringing who are effectively complete strangers into our homes can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

I have an old Brit friend who (15 years ago) took 2 bar-girls back to his room, there was a knock on the door the next morning, it was the cops, who went str8 to his small cannabis stash, and busted him!

1 hour ago, RotBenz8888 said:

That looks like he had one of those hotel toy-safes. Keep some fake gold in one of these and let the thief walk away satisfied

No not really the smallest/cheapest thing.

Bigger than a hotel safe.

But these burglars must have had some real tools with them.

Brute force, crowbar, grinder?

And they knew where to search.

3 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Can sometimes be the case that our Thai "guests" are casing our joint.

Partly why in later years I'd use a short-time hotel for brief assignations.

I spent many year living in condos (with a good safe) where only farang friends would come for a drink or coffee.

Bringing who are effectively complete strangers into our homes can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

I have an old Brit friend who (15 years ago) took 2 bar-girls back to his room, there was a knock on the door the next morning, it was the cops, who went str8 to his small cannabis stash, and busted him!

Exactly why my Thai son and his wife never allow visitors (unless well known long term) to step into the house. If it's for a repair my son will, where possible, take the item to a repair shop or carry the item (e.g. microwave) to a table under a verandah, but never ask the repair men to come into the house.

When my son bought a safe (better than hotel safe) he made a plan to buy it then get it home:

- Find the safe he wanted, pay cash and give no personal / address information whatever to the sales folks at the shop, also insist that the safe box be wrapped in plain paper and more, insist that he will take the safe to his van.  On arrival at home son waited until very late evening to take the safe from his van into the house and upstairs to his bedroom where it's now bolted to the floor and a wall (son did it himself) and inside of a cupboard.  

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Yes, you could “weld” the hinges right off....

Archived