Pattaya: Foreign pensioner robbed of 560,000 baht in Euros left in his safe

rooster59

No one heard any noise???? dose not look like a particulary silent robbery, makes you wonder, they

must have known the money was there, not a random robbery by the sounds of it. once again 

the old saying springs to mind  "a fool and his money are easily parted." should have been in a bank maybe.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some of us are not slaves to punctuation.

My favorite headline is the body that was discovered in the woods by a tramp in a state of advanced decomposition.

There was a problem with syntax or the author had a sense of humour.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

red shorts and a white belt? too bad they did not steal his wardrobe.  

I find no humour in the pain, misery or misfortune of others. Your juvenile remark makes me grateful I don't know you.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Some of us are not slaves to punctuation.

My favorite headline is the body that was discovered in the woods by a tramp in a state of advanced decomposition.

wrong punctuation can cost thousands, I remember reading a story about a guy losing his firm because of a missing comma

3 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Not a random crime. Dude talked too much or pissed off the wrong acquaintance. While living in developing countries keep your business to yourself. There is very little chance he ever sees any justice.

How many burglaries in Thailand?  According to official stats there are about 3000 per year, no doubt there are more, and now one burglar finds a lot of farang money and so makes the TV news and you assume it must be a setup. 

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

There was a problem with syntax or the author had a sense of humour.

Its the art of headline writing, it makes you read it twice, then check if your understanding is correct by reading the article, if they gave you too much in the headline you might not bother to read it. 

Anyone ever heard of a safe deposit box ?  20 min filling in forms--2,000 Baht a year plus deposit for the key. And their safe was a might larger and stronger then his joke one.

Its unusal for them to attake a safe on the premises, that size are usually carried away to somwhere that noise/time isnt a problem.

I never like carrying or keeping that much cash on me or in the house.  That’s also why I have surveillance cameras all over house my outside and inside with infrared night vision.  And I don’t even live down there Pattaya is a high crime area where I live almost nothing ever happens.  We had one incident over a year ago in our neighborhood which is the reason why I have the cameras. Other than that no problems here in 5 years of living here in my neighborhood.  

3 hours ago, seasia said:

Whoever did it certainly made a mess of the place.

It would be upsetting coming back to just that, even without the loss of a large amount of cash.

It says to be similar to rape ...

EDIT - for those who misunderstood the above a break in and/or a robbery in Your home may take away the pleasure of staying in Your home for a long time as it is a traumatic experience that need to be processed over time.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

Yes, a big safe mounted to the floor make a huge difference. 

When it comes to retrieving the data from the CCTV server can be quite difficult if not impossible if the correct process is not followed:

https://www.datarecoverygroup.com/articles/wet-hard-drive-solutions-water-damage

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

insist that he will take the safe to his van.  On arrival at home son waited until very late evening to take the safe from his van into the house and upstairs to his bedroom

Whilst this sounds like good advice your son would have needed to have been the incredible Hulk to do that with a "reasonably sized" and good quality safe.

It took 4 guys to carry the safe I had bought up the stairs, and I have never moved it since it was put in place over 8 years ago. It is only about 24x24x30 inches high so not massive either.

It is supposedly fire proof and I needed it big enough to store documents. 

6 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Yes, in the safe, hardly takes a genius.

I meant which house to rob...yeah i know I did not spell it out in detail :whistling:

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I have always thought keeping money and valuables in a safe is a stupid idea. If someone breaks into your house they will be looking for the safe.

I have always used the bury in the garden method. It is a bit more work, but much safer.

And put a flag on, so you will not forget 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

The very small safes you can buy in supermarkets can be opened by banging on the top at the same find as twisting the handle on the front. Still, OK for keeping the kids away from your personal items I guess. 

25 minutes ago, topt said:

Whilst this sounds like good advice your son would have needed to have been the incredible Hulk to do that with a "reasonably sized" and good quality safe.

It took 4 guys to carry the safe I had bought up the stairs, and I have never moved it since it was put in place over 8 years ago. It is only about 24x24x30 inches high so not massive either.

It is supposedly fire proof and I needed it big enough to store documents. 

I like the 'supposedly fireproof'. I guess that's as good as it gets, because you're not going to test it, are you! ???? 

14 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I like the 'supposedly fireproof'. I guess that's as good as it gets, because you're not going to test it, are you! ???? 

mostly fireproof is somethings as only 30 minutes and a a certain degrees ..,and they are doubled with in between sand or a concrete filling .

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Forget that potato trick , my safe only resulted in that with shaken the battery's , so did not open , and needed the key .:thumbsup:  (I tried that myself..)

Besides I never ever would use or buy a safe with hinges outside ….easy to use a electric disc cutter or welder 

Looks like he had a business seeing so many files in as office looking small room where safe was bolted to the wall, and in a nice compound …. they knew where to look for cash

Most safes have the hinges on the outside - even the one or two ton "big boys" - but any decent safe will have adequate bolts or lugs inside to ensure the door still cannot be removed even if the hinges are compromised.

He needed something like this (and to be properly bolted) not the "money box" with a cash limit of 1,000 euros he was relying on to protect that sort of money.

x-buav2-size1-gallery1_1.jpg

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I have always thought keeping money and valuables in a safe is a stupid idea. If someone breaks into your house they will be looking for the safe.

I have always used the bury in the garden method. It is a bit more work, but much safer.

Where do you live?

Rooster

14 minutes ago, david555 said:

mostly fireproof is somethings as only 30 minutes and a a certain degrees ..,and they are doubled with in between sand or a concrete filling .

Both those materials transfer heat rapidly, they use insulating materials such as perlite on cheap safes, and secret recipes on expensive ones which clog up rotary tools and extinguish flame cutters.

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Man, those thieves sure were lucky to have gone to just the right home in the village that contained all that money...????

I wonder if his compound had a security guard, when I was staying in Pattaya after many years of no problems we were suddenly having  break-ins, mostly when people were out doing the bars, it did not take long for the owners to work out it only began when a new security guard had been employed, he did own up,it was not him doing the thieving though,it was his girlfriend, no goods were ever recovered.

Archived