Pattaya: Foreign pensioner robbed of 560,000 baht in Euros left in his safe

rooster59

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Exactly why my Thai son and his wife never allow visitors (unless well known long term) to step into the house. If it's for a repair my son will, where possible, take the item to a repair shop or carry the item (e.g. microwave) to a table under a verandah, but never ask the repair men to come into the house.

When my son bought a safe (better than hotel safe) he made a plan to buy it then get it home:

- Find the safe he wanted, pay cash and give no personal / address information whatever to the sales folks at the shop, also insist that the safe box be wrapped in plain paper and more, insist that he will take the safe to his van.  On arrival at home son waited until very late evening to take the safe from his van into the house and upstairs to his bedroom where it's now bolted to the floor and a wall (son did it himself) and inside of a cupboard.  

Good idea...

BTW now that we know exactly where your safe is, can you drop your address here !?

Cheap nasty safes so easy to get into just drop them on a front corner from a hight above your head and the door flys open or falls off. Allso if you can get to the back of these cheap nasty safes, there is a tiny hole just smaller then the hole in a drinking straw push a piece of stiff wire in an there is a release mecomism that when pushed releases the door, safe, lock, all hotels allso use these safes. In Asia many styles of safe are manufactured and sold to unexspecting customers not knowing how the mecomism works. Use a very strong magnet the type used for, magnet fishing in lakes. These strong magnets open the safe easy becouse it's strength is more power full than the  mecomism that hold the bolts locked. Lastly Even a good Quility safe is cracked by cutting into the back of the safe, the weakest part, with a Still Saw or angle grinder. Cordless tools preferred by safe crackers as I use to crack safes and pick locks, leagly and traveled Asia doing it. Keep your money in the bank. 

while we feel sorry for the pensioner a burning question comes to the mind. why did he keep such a big  amount at home rather than in a bank account from where he could have easily drawn down according to his needs.

very strange situation indeed.

57 minutes ago, SteveK said:

All they have to do is unplug the router, or cut the internet connection to the building.

somebody sure knew a lot about this pensioner - the amount of money in the safe and how to disable the security equipment.

7 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

. A worthy case for go fund me 

More like a case of I dumb me.  All he had to do was keep his money in a bank oe in his investment account and use an ATM when money is needed

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Next time he would be well advised to buy a better safe. Hopefully the CCTV will reveal some clues, though the normal situation in these cases is that the cash is gone by the time they catch up with the perpetrators.

Better idea, is to have a honey-pot safe with 1000 baht inside and worthless paper and hide your money under the mattress.

I struggle to think of  reason why any foreigner would keep that amount of money in anything other than a bank.

Suspect that if the same thief had burgled any other house/bungalow in the Moo Barn  then more than likely he would have left empty handed.

I think a large piece of information is missing!

7 minutes ago, Delight said:

I struggle to think of  reason why any foreigner would keep that amount of money in anything other than a bank.

One can regularly read here about people who don't trust Thai banks at all. 

what kind of fool leaves his safe and CCTV server in the open , all his cameras should have been hidden, and uploaded to the cloud with the server hidden and any faults in the system reported on his mobile on the safe it should have been a real safe bolted into the concrete floor with a camera that take pictures every time it is opened or someone spins the dial . Poor operational security in a country where the Police can't find the handle on a cup. He needs to take this as a lesson and move on 

24 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Better idea, is to have a honey-pot safe with 1000 baht inside and worthless paper and hide your money under the mattress.

Make it a sufficient amount not 1000 baht ,( he would find that an insult to his thieving status  ) :thumbsup:, or the thief shall anyway smell it is a honey-pot .., and go further break down some furniture or other things to find money 

1 hour ago, RickoMortis said:

Cheap nasty safes so easy to get into just drop them on a front corner from a hight above your head and the door flys open or falls off. Allso if you can get to the back of these cheap nasty safes, there is a tiny hole just smaller then the hole in a drinking straw push a piece of stiff wire in an there is a release mecomism that when pushed releases the door, safe, lock, all hotels allso use these safes. In Asia many styles of safe are manufactured and sold to unexspecting customers not knowing how the mecomism works. Use a very strong magnet the type used for, magnet fishing in lakes. These strong magnets open the safe easy becouse it's strength is more power full than the  mecomism that hold the bolts locked. Lastly Even a good Quility safe is cracked by cutting into the back of the safe, the weakest part, with a Still Saw or angle grinder. Cordless tools preferred by safe crackers as I use to crack safes and pick locks, leagly and traveled Asia doing it. Keep your money in the bank. 

As a lock smith, you should be aware that a good quality safe walls is filled with a substance which renders a stihl saw useless as soon as it touches it, its like tar, it bungs up everything, horrible stuff, touch it with a torch and it fills the room with acrid smoke.

As for preferred mathods, i dont know of any cordlesd tools that have the power, preferred methods are magnet drills and oxycetaline.

I worked for RBS in secure fit department, I've removed quite a few safes, some so big they needed to be cut up first.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

As a lock smith, you should be aware that a good quality safe walls is filled with a substance which renders a stihl saw useless as soon as it touches it, its like tar, it bungs up everything, horrible stuff, touch it with a torch and it fills the room with acrid smoke.

As for preferred mathods, i dont know of any cordlesd tools that have the power, preferred methods are magnet drills and oxycetaline.

I worked for RBS in secure fit department, I've removed quite a few safes, some so big they needed to be cut up first.

I don't know this robbed guy  owns te house or rent it , if owning it he should already made that small room where safe and all his electronics are is closed with a very good door if he likes to keep high amount of cash or values , probably he was relaxed when going out as never something happened and expected trusted his safe .

But it is the negligence and the lack of personal discretion who makes the opportunity , this was planned , a co incidental thief would just call this a pure luck to find

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

most of the safes you would buy for home use are not 'safe', a tour on you tube will show why

That is a very true statement..... I had a safe that looked and felt rugged enough better than the hotel type. The lock function is a 

set of batteries inside the safe if the batteries fail you can unlock 

with a key you keep separately by taking of the center cap on lock.

Batteries stopped working and didn’t know where the key was. Looked at he manufactures website to see if any information on 

how to open. Nothing

Youtube I gave basic information of type and searched. Two videos

the second sounded corny and didn’t think it would work. Involved 

hitting the on top about the area of lock below...

ok tried it ..hit the top of safe with bottom of my hand.... it worked 

it took like 3 minutes

7 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Can sometimes be the case that our Thai "guests" are casing our joint.

Partly why in later years I'd use a short-time hotel for brief assignations.

I spent many year living in condos (with a good safe) where only farang friends would come for a drink or coffee.

Bringing who are effectively complete strangers into our homes can sometimes be a recipe for disaster.

I have an old Brit friend who (15 years ago) took 2 bar-girls back to his room, there was a knock on the door the next morning, it was the cops, who went str8 to his small cannabis stash, and busted him!

It is a good idea to bring only the money you are willing to spend that night, no more, no less. If you find a daisy and want to have some fun, just get a hotel for one night.  

1 hour ago, david555 said:

I don't know this robbed guy  owns te house or rent it , if owning it he should already made that small room where safe and all his electronics are is closed with a very good door if he likes to keep high amount of cash or values , probably he was relaxed when going out as never something happened and expected trusted his safe .

But it is the negligence and the lack of personal discretion who makes the opportunity , this was planned , a co incidental thief would just call this a pure luck to find

Maybe he trusted his gf/bf and/or her/his relatives too much  ???? - just saying … :whistling:

Safer inside than outside the house … :whistling:

Joke aside - yes, much is pointing in the direction that they knew what to look for since other valubles such as photo-camera etc was left untouched ...

Where was the Security he pays for every month - sleeping on his post?

Why didn't the alarm activate - someone knew the code that shouldn't? 

And as known, the guards have often been indirectly involved by informing which house is empty ...

Archived