Recommended air purifier?

Captor

I am looking for a air purifier for cleaning among others the PM2,3 and Pm10 particles. Is there any certain brand that can be recommended here in Thailand? Room sizes between

20-75m2. A recommended brand or machine that is cleaning well and also reliable and has a low noise level. There are different at Lazada for example but I only have experience of Coway. And I have read that Philips is OK too but loud. Maybe I have to buy 2 different sizes for the smaller and bigger room.

There are brands I never heard or read about at Lazada.

Maybe it is possible to attach some hepa filter to the air a/c? I remember vaguely that I have read something about that but now I can not find any topics about this subject.

Maybe this topic should be under technical? I was not sure were to place it. Sorry about that.

It is doubt if an air filter will work because air keeps spilling in from outside.

If it were to work it would cost $1000's of dollars. A cheap one will not work for sure.

Some house plants are a good idea to start. Maybe a oxygen generator would help too.

• Sad 2

Filters work and work well and need not be expensive.  Have been using Hatari for years and very happy with them.  Noise of HT-AP12 at lower speeds is very slight and that is all that is required to keep my 26sm bedroom under 10 for PM2.5 - can air out to outside levels and within minutes back under 10,  Cost is less than 5k baht and rated for 32sm use.

Currently on a clean air evening outside is 19 (aqi 65) and in bedroom is 003 (aqi 13).

Image result for hatari air purifier

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Filters work and work well and need not be expensive.  Have been using Hatari for years and very happy with them.  Noise of HT-AP12 at lower speeds is very slight and that is all that is required to keep my 26sm bedroom under 10 for PM2.5 - can air out to outside levels and within minutes back under 10,  Cost is less than 5k baht and rated for 32sm use.

Currently on a clean air evening outside is 19 (aqi 65) and in bedroom is 003 (aqi 13).

Image result for hatari air purifier

Lopburi, thank you very much! Looks good. I will look into that brand. It is same brand all the fans seing around everywere. What meter do you have? Or is the meter in the air cleaner already?

21 hours ago, CGW said:

Look for "filtrete" sold on lazada, effectively turns your AC into a air filter by removing more crud out of the air.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.2.1125719coiS8KE&q=filtrete 3m&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=filtrete 3m_1_1

I put filtrete sheets in my AC and air cleaner and change them once a month or when they get a dirty grey color.   

21 hours ago, CGW said:

Look for "filtrete" sold on lazada, effectively turns your AC into a air filter by removing more crud out of the air.

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.2.1125719coiS8KE&q=filtrete 3m&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=filtrete 3m_1_1

CGW, thanks, yes this is an alternative too. Is this for use together with original filter or instead for? Will let gf look into that if there is hepa filter. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I put filtrete sheets in my AC and air cleaner and change them once a month or when they get a dirty grey color.   

Marcus, yes that look like a good idea. I hope there are better filter for sale than the original for the a/c's in home. Like hepa for example. Or maybe the original is hepa already?

3 minutes ago, Captor said:

Is this for use together with original filter or instead

Depends if you need it? if your in CM probably need a air filter also, a good point with this product is it will also keep AC cleaner, instead of servicing twice a year we now just do once.

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Depends if you need it? if your in CM probably need a air filter also, a good point with this product is it will also keep AC cleaner, instead of servicing twice a year we now just do once.

Aha, so that means this replacement filters are better than the original. Very good! I will change them all. Can not be negative to do at least. Maybe i also can find hepa... I will search for that as well. Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Captor said:

Lopburi, thank you very much! Looks good. I will look into that brand. It is same brand all the fans seing around everywere. What meter do you have? Or is the meter in the air cleaner already?

Just a cheap $25 meter from China but seems to be very close to local official site so believe it is accurate.  

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Technology-Formaldehyde-HCHO-PM1-0-PM2-5-PM10-Gas-Analyzer-Household-PM-1-0-2/32950727659.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75324c4dm5JYNv

Digital Handheld Home Formaldehyde Detector HCHO TVOC AQI Meter Air Gas Quality Tester Professional Benzene Testing Instrument(China)

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Just a cheap $25 meter from China but seems to be very close to local official site so believe it is accurate.  

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Technology-Formaldehyde-HCHO-PM1-0-PM2-5-PM10-Gas-Analyzer-Household-PM-1-0-2/32950727659.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.75324c4dm5JYNv

Digital Handheld Home Formaldehyde Detector HCHO TVOC AQI Meter Air Gas Quality Tester Professional Benzene Testing Instrument(China)

Wov! Look very good. PM 1 as well!

Thank you very much.

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The 3M Filtrete sheets are a partial solution. When applied to the surface of your regular air con filters, they will help take SOME of the pollutants out of the air.... But not nearly to the same extent as a HEPA filter device air purifier will.

I see the Filtrete sheets as an adjunct to using a HEPA air purifier, not a substitute for one.

Yes i see it the same way. Also if i do this i will still buy air cleaners with hepa filter. So i guess there are no hepa filtrete to buy at lazada or other place then? I guess you all would have done that by now then.

My gf says there are new a/c now with air purifier included for buying. That i will keep in mind when it is time for a new one.

you can modify most aircon units by adding those HEPA filtrate filters for sure. not sure how often you would have to replace them but visually it can be inspected

the Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s listed earlier is good, it's on lazada, you can search for this string " Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2s - เครื่องฟอกอากาศ รับประกันศูนย์ไทย 1 ปี " on lazada and it's the one that says "Globle version" (lol)

it comes directly from a Xiaomi Authorized dealer and says "LazMall Certified Store" and has over 2000 reviews.

5490 baht right now, I got mine delivered yesterday (I think I ordered Thursday almost at midnight), delivered Saturday

just so you know, the filters need to be replaced every 5-6 months and cost 700-900 baht (there are 3 variants)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Captor said:

so that means this replacement filters are better than the original.

There more off an additional layer than a replacement.

5 minutes ago, Captor said:

Yes i see it the same way. Also if i do this i will still buy air cleaners with hepa filter. So i guess there are no hepa filtrete to buy at lazada or other place then? I guess you all would have done that by now then.

My gf says there are new a/c now with air purifier included for buying. That i will keep in mind when it is time for a new one.

There are newer air con units being advertised in Thailand that supposedly have PM2.5 filters as opposed to the traditional, regular plastic screen filters that regular air cons have always had. The manufacturers claim they are effective, but I've seen little 3rd party independent evaluation of that. And even less on the issue of the need or availability of replacing those kinds of filters. Plus, a brand new air con unit is going to cost 15K to 30K baht depending on the size.

In my experience in BKK, a good quality HEPA air purifier appropriately sized for the room it's in will provide sufficient air cleaning without needing to add Filtrete sheets to a regular air con. But, if/when the air outside gets VERY bad, then I'd look to add the Filtrete sheets to my regular air con just to help my regular HEPA purifier keep up with the demand.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kekalot said:

you can modify most aircon units by adding those HEPA filtrate filters for sure. not sure how often you would have to replace them but visually it can be inspected

the Xiaomi Air Purifier 2s listed earlier is good, it's on lazada, you can search for this string " Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2s - เครื่องฟอกอากาศ รับประกันศูนย์ไทย 1 ปี " on lazada and it's the one that says "Globle version" (lol)

it comes directly from a Xiaomi Authorized dealer and says "LazMall Certified Store" and has over 2000 reviews.

5490 baht right now, I got mine delivered yesterday (I think I ordered Thursday almost at midnight), delivered Saturday

just so you know, the filters need to be replaced every 5-6 months and cost 700-900 baht (there are 3 variants)

I only paid 3899 for mine ????

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kekalot said:

you can modify most aircon units by adding those HEPA filtrate filters for sure.

The 3M Filtrete sheets do NOT provide the same level of filtration as a HEPA filter does... Much less in fact... So it's wrong to refer to them as "HEPA filtrate filters."  They are NOT.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I only paid 3899 for mine ????

A couple of the differences between the Hatari and the Xiaomi 2S units...

--The 2S unit comes with its own built-in PM2.5 monitor that you can see the PM2.5 levels on... as opposed to needing to buy a separate PM2.5 sensor.  However, one downside is the 2S units, AFAIK, come with a single multi-stage filter cartridge, which means when you replace one part, you're having to replace all, which probably means more often and higher filter replacement costs.

--The Hatari unit does not come with any kind of built-in PM2.5 sensor/monitor. However, it does comes with separate filter elements, meaning you can buy and replace the HEPA filter separately from the pre-filter and the carbon filter pieces, which is probably more cost-effective in the long run.

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP, here's some of the things you would want to do/consider....

1. In shopping for an air purifier, the first thing you need to assess is the size of the room area you want it to cover. Air purifiers have different cleaning capacities that are targeted at different room sizes. You need to pick one that's reasonably sized for the room where you intend to use it. The purifier models will typically indicated they're sized for a room of XX to XX square meters. So you want to look at that detail.

2. The Hatari and Xiaomi 2S purifiers are pretty reputable HEPA purifiers, and a true HEPA purifier is what you want. One of the advantages of those two units is that replacement filters for them are readily available in Thailand from various online sources.

If you're looking at ANY HEPA air purifier here, one of the other important things to consider is the availability and pricing of replacement HEPA filters. Because the HEPA filter will only last a year or so depending on your level of use and the local pollution levels. And after that, without a replacement filter, you're SOL with a useless machine.

One of the problems here is a lot of the stores that sell purifiers don't stock the replacement filters for the units they sell. And they won't necessarily tell you that. And if you ask, they'll tell you to contact the manufacturer, and the manufacturer may tell you to contact some 3rd party vendor who may or may not keep the filters for your unit in stock.  You really want to avoid that kind of circle jerk.

3. Apart from the purifier purchase, what you also would want to do is look to add stick-on weather stripping insulation to your living areas at home, covering the door and window casings as needed. The reason being, when the air is polluted outside, the less outside air you allow into your home, the easier it's going to be for your purifier to keep the indoors air clean. If your doors and windows are leaking air like sieves, it's going to be tough to keep the indoor air clean.

Dear Tallguy, thanks for all that information!

Sounds like it is best to inform myself about replacement hepa before decide the brand then. And stick to common cleaners in Thailand. So Philips, Coway or Electrolux are no good choices.

About the room size i have problem with a salon. It is about 40 m2 but a part of it, about 1/3 is about 5 m up to the roof! So maybe it would be bettet talking about cubic meters. So i am thinking i must oversize the cleaner some.

Or maybe 2 smaller air cleaners.

15 minutes ago, kekalot said:

Sounds very good. I will look into that. And the filtrete as well. So it is hepa then.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are newer air con units being advertised in Thailand that supposedly have PM2.5 filters as opposed to the traditional, regular plastic screen filters that regular air cons have always had. The manufacturers claim they are effective, but I've seen little 3rd party independent evaluation of that. And even less on the issue of the need or availability of replacing those kinds of filters. Plus, a brand new air con unit is going to cost 15K to 30K baht depending on the size.

In my experience in BKK, a good quality HEPA air purifier appropriately sized for the room it's in will provide sufficient air cleaning without needing to add Filtrete sheets to a regular air con. But, if/when the air outside gets VERY bad, then I'd look to add the Filtrete sheets to my regular air con just to help my regular HEPA purifier keep up with the demand.

OK. What brand of hepa purifier do you have yourself?

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The 3M Filtrete sheets do NOT provide the same level of filtration as a HEPA filter does... Much less in fact... So it's wrong to refer to them as "HEPA filtrate filters."  They are NOT.

OK thanks. Good to know. I was not sure about that. Maybe there will be extra hepa filters to buy in the future. One can hope that.