Do you need to have your passport with you when staying at hotels in Bangkok?

theboogeyman

My wife and I live up north and we’re thinking about staying a couple of days in Bangkok on the 7th 8th and the 9th.  Last time we stayed at a little beach hotel in Rayong a few years ago I didn’t have to show them my passport at the hotel, in fact I didn’t even bring my passport with me on that trip.  Has that changed?  Do you have to have your passport on you if you are staying in a cheap hotel?  It’s been a while since we stayed in any hotels around here a few years actually but last time I didn’t need my passport and I’m just wondering if that’s still the same.  

I always have a picture of my passport saved on my iPhone every where I go and a picture of all my stamps and extension stamps as well just in case I’m ever stopped by Law Enforcement or if I have to show anyone.  At the hospital sometimes they ask to see my passport but they always accept a picture of it off of my iPhone.  

So are we now required to carry our passport when staying in hotels away from home in Thailand?  I’ve never needed it before on just regular family outings but it’s been a while and I’m not sure if that’s changed.  Can anyone please let me know?

Also what if we decide to take the bus?  We’re either going to rent a van or probably take the bus.  I’ve actually never used the bus in Thailand before and I’ been here for 5 years normally we travel with family or rent a van.  Do you need to have your passport on you on the bus in Thailand when traveling long distances?  We’re not going across any borders just a 5 hour trip to Bangkok back and forth a few days.  In the past I’ve taken multiple leisure trips all over Thailand and have stayed in multiple hotels and I didn’t even bring my passport with me, but I’m just wondering if that has changed because it’s been a few years since we’ve gone out of town for more than a day.  

I always carry valid forms of ID in my wallet and I always have a picture of my passport on my iPhone but I just don’t like carrying my passport unless I have to.  I only take my passport with me when going to immigration or the embassy normally.  I’m just wondering because I’ve heard immigration has gotten tough on hotels about reporting foreigners staying there.  If they need to see my passport I’d prefer to just show them the picture on my phone I just don’t like carrying it around unless I actually need it for immigration or the embassy.  I treat my passport and immigration documents like gold.  In the past I’ve gone on a lot of leisure trips without carrying my passport but I just want to make sure that I can still go on long trips and just leave my original passport at home locked up.  If I do need it is a picture of my passport on my iPhone acceptable at hotels or bus stations?  

Oh and one additional question does anyone know if Bangkok is gonna be packed next week because of the ceremony for the new King?  On the 7th 8th and 9th?  Or was that only this week?  I’m not really planning this trip very well it’s kind of a spur of the moment thing.  

Thanks for any information.  

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I just carry  my Thai D/L for the bus.

Your wife can book the hotel room with her ID card.

Okay that sounds like nothing’s changed since the last time we went on a leisure outing.  Although I’ve actually never taken the bus before and I don’t have a Thai DL.  Would the bus need to see my passport?  I always keep a picture of my passport on my iPhone and valid forms of ID from the United States in my wallet but I prefer to leave my passport safely at home when traveling the country on leisure trips.  I usually only bring my passport out with me only if I’m going to immigration or the embassy or if I need it for any other type of business.  I just don’t like carrying it unless I have to I treat all my immigration documents like gold.  Bangkok is about a 5 hour trip from where we live.  

1 minute ago, Puchaiyank said:

Always carry and secure your passport when travelling...the hotel will likely make a copy to report you are staying with them to immigration...

I always keep a picture of my passport on my iPhone I prefer to keep it secured at home and I’ve never needed it before on any leisure trips inside the country but it’s been a while since we’ve gone out of town on leisure trips for more than a day.  Last time we did a few years ago the hotel never even asked for it but I know that may have changed.  I could always show them the picture of it on my iPhone they accept my picture of my passport on my iPhone all the time at the local hospital.  

I don’t know you maybe right maybe I should bring it just in case I just don’t like carrying it if I don’t have to.  Last time we stayed in a little beach hotel in Rayong they didn’t even ask for my passport.  I’ve been in many other countries before I retired where some hotels want to hold your passport which I never liked.  That’s never been an issue in Thailand but it has been a while since we’ve stayed in a hotel and I know that times have changed around here.  Maybe I’ll just bring the darn thing with me just in case because you are right but I just don’t like carrying it unless I have to I’m always afraid of losing it or something I always have to treat it like my wallet when I’m carrying it it’s just a minor annoyance is all.  I guess I should know better with my background of traveling.  Thanks 

The probability of the Hotel needing your passport to fill out their immigration report is high unless you are staying at an extremely low-key place. 

The probability of being stopped randomly by the Police and asking for your passport is extremely low (virtually nil), but it has happened. 

The inconvenience if stopped by the BiB and you don't have your passport within a reasonable time frame - extremely inconvenient (not wishing to scare monger - just being factual).

On any visit outside of my home (i.e. travel outside of Bangkok to another city) I always take my passport. I can keep it in the safe with my iPad and backup (emergency) Cards. 

Its much better to have your passport with you and not need it, than not have it and need it. 

I have stayed in around 100 hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya and always needed my passport, no exceptions.

You can have it on the phone and email it, that would work, but they will want a copy and your wife has nothing to do with anything.

8 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

I always keep a picture of my passport on my iPhone I prefer to keep it secured at home and I’ve never needed it before on any leisure trips inside the country but it’s been a while since we’ve gone out of town on leisure trips for more than a day.  Last time we did a few years ago the hotel never even asked for it but I know that may have changed.  I could always show them the picture of it on my iPhone they accept my picture of my passport on my iPhone all the time at the local hospital.  

I don’t know you maybe right maybe I should bring it just in case I just don’t like carrying it if I don’t have to.  Last time we stayed in a little beach hotel in Rayong they didn’t even ask for my passport.  I’ve been in many other countries before I retired where some hotels want to hold your passport which I never liked.  That’s never been an issue in Thailand but it has been a while since we’ve stayed in a hotel and I know that times have changed around here.  Maybe I’ll just bring the darn thing with me just in case because you are right but I just don’t like carrying it unless I have to I’m always afraid of losing it or something I always have to treat it like my wallet when I’m carrying it it’s just a minor annoyance is all.  I guess I should know better with my background of traveling.  Thanks 

Minor inconvenience to pack passport...always error on the side of caution... 

5 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Minor inconvenience to pack passport...always error on the side of caution... 

Yeah I know I used to constantly travel but this is the longest time I’ve ever stayed in one place so maybe I’m getting to relaxed about that.  

32 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

Always carry and secure your passport when travelling...the hotel will likely make a copy to report you are staying with them to immigration...

Or put that another way, all hotels etc., in Thailand are required by law to advise Immigration what foreigners are staying in the premises, even short stays. 

Plus there have been many reports of hotels being fined for being lax with this subject. 

7 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I have stayed in around 100 hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya and always needed my passport, no exceptions.

You can have it on the phone and email it, that would work, but they will want a copy and your wife has nothing to do with anything.

Really well it’s been a while since we’ve stayed in a hotel around here and I haven’t traveled for a while now.  I used to travel all the time.  I’ve actually never had any hotels in Thailand ever ask for my passport but it’s been a while since we’ve stayed in any hotels around here.  In the past I’ve always just left my passport at home on leisure travel within the country and I never actually needed it, but I understand times are changing around here.  I’ve stayed at hotels in other countries especially in Europe where they actually want to hold your passport which I always hated.  I’ve never had an issue here before.  

But the more I think about it I ought to know better with my background so I’m just going to take it with me and carry it with my wallet.  It’s just that this is the longest time I’ve ever stayed in the same place for so long in like 25 plus years.  I’ve been here 5 years now and I don’t remember the last time I’ve ever lived in one place for so long or not traveled abroad for this long.  So I’ve just gotten used to going out without my passport unless I need it for something.  Here in Korat the cops never stop you unless you’re doing something wrong and it’s been a few years since we’ve stayed in any hotels around here.  Last time we stayed in a hotel was just some little beach hotel in Rayong and they didn’t even ask for my passport and in years past no other hotels around here have ever asked for it either so I’ve kind of just gotten used to not carrying it unless I need it for business.  But I guess times are changing in Thailand immigration is getting tougher on hotels about reporting foreigners staying there.  

Personally I never carry my passport when travelling domestically in Thailand and have never had any issue with that. Since 2012 I have generally carried a pink ID card so used that. Prior to that I generally used any photo ID (licence, APEC card) for checking-in and boarding domestic flights. For hotels, their primary consideration is getting paid. Mostly I use a Thai credit card so they have some ID from that. Once in a while they ask for more (e.g. passport) but I never have it and have never been denied a room. 

1 minute ago, thedemon said:

Once in a while they ask for more (e.g. passport) but I never have it and have never been denied a room. 

As previously mentioned the low-end digs / hotels are more relaxed but international hotels will require valid ID and, if necessary, your stamped departure chit.  

2 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

As previously mentioned the low-end digs / hotels are more relaxed but international hotels will require valid ID and, if necessary, your stamped departure chit.  

Not in my experience and in any case I don't have a (sic) stamped departure chit.

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Or put that another way, all hotels etc., in Thailand are required by law to advise Immigration what foreigners are staying in the premises, even short stays. 

Plus there have been many reports of hotels being fined for being lax with this subject. 

Yes I’ve heard that they’ve recently started getting tougher about that which is the only reason why I asked in the first place.  In the past I’ve never needed it on leisure trips but times are changing.  I should know better I’m retired military and a former frequent traveler and I almost always traveled like a civilian because of my job but it’s been like 6 years now since I retired.  So I’m probably just getting complacent because I’ve been staying in the same place longer than I’ve ever stayed before.

Thanks for the replies everyone yes I’m just going to bring it with me whenever we go anywhere far away for more than a day. I know I should probably know better because there was a time when I was used to carrying my passport every where I went.  

6 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Not in my experience and in any case I don't have a (sic) stamped departure chit.

If you're on a short term visit and residing at an international hotel you will absolutely require valid ID and your stamped departure chit.  I've better things to do than spread misinformation.  

I have checked into a international hotel - Holiday Inn Soi 22 without passport, they accepted my driving licence - with some persuasion, my PP was in the Chinese embassy for visa so I had no choice, when I got passport back I asked if they needed it and they said no, with the recent "events" who knows if that is still possible, not worth taking the chance.

12 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Your experience seems extremely limited - it also spreads incorrect information. 

You don't have a TM6 card? (stamped departure card).

You are either Thai or you have lost the TM6 card then.

OneEyedPie is correct - you will need the TM6 card along with your Passport which will be used for registering an alien (i.e. you, a foreigner) to Immigration - this is done at nearly all hotels (unless they are sketchy or very low key places). 

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

If you're on a short term visit and residing at an international hotel you will absolutely require valid ID and your stamped departure chit.  I've better things to do that spread misinformation.  

Maybe you do but I don't. Not all foreigners in Thailand have a TM6 in their passport which I presume is what you are referring to as a "stamped departure chit"

Whatever the law is regarding what ID is required by law to check-in to a hotel, the reality is that payment is their primary concern. Just because you have always had your passport with you is not proof that it is required. That is misinformation.

11 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Maybe you do but I don't. Not all foreigners in Thailand have a TM6 in their passport which I presume is what you are referring to as a "stamped departure chit"

Whatever the law is regarding what ID is required by law to check-in to a hotel, the reality is that payment is their primary concern. Just because you have always had your passport with you is not proof that it is required. That is misinformation.

Thats a new one for me... Which Nationalities (Foreigners) do not have to fill out a TM6 form?

Upon check in at Thailand I have always been asked for a copy of my Passport.

I can't say for certain that they also copy the TM6 card in every hotel I've stayed at, but they take the Passport away and make a photocopy of it.

A hotel not doing this is breaking the law. 

Thus, it may not happen all the time, as we are aware that laws are often broken here. But if the Op is going to be staying at a semi decent hotel or upwards (i.e. 3* and up) the probability his stay would be refused is increased if he is unable to present a passport. 

Thus: Alluding to the point that the Op may not require his passport would not make good advice. 

8 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I can only assume that your definition of international hotels differs from mine.  

I did state valid ID or passport and the international hotels will absolutely require either or and your TM6 if you're on a short term visit. 

Please try checking into the Hilton on Sukhumvit without your ID as a test run and see if you manage to secure accommodation for the night then come back to TV and report your findings.  

Thanks for the replies everyone yes I’m just going to bring my passport with me whenever we go anywhere far away for more than a day. I know I should probably know better because there was a time when I was used to carrying my passport every where I went.  I just haven’t been getting out as much as I used to lately especially for more than a day.  And when I travel with my wife’s family no one ever asks to see my passport I think that probably had a lot to do with it.  This was probably a dumb question on my part.  I’ve just gotten to the point where I don’t carry it unless I’m going to immigration or something or need it for business.  But yeah I’m going to start carrying it whenever we travel far from home at least.  I’m thinking back to all the trips we’ve gone on when I left it at home and I’m thinking maybe I was just really lucky I didn’t need it during those times.  The last time I went to Bangkok I was visiting the embassy so obviously I always bring it with me for business stuff.  But I guess yeah I need to start carrying it with me even on fun trips far from home.  

I’m good I don’t need anymore advice thanks I’m going to bring it with me whenever we go out of town at least.  But I’m definitely not carrying it around my local city every day there’s no reason to unless I need it for business or unless I’m going to immigration because I live in a really small city and I’m usually never far from home if I’m local.  

Here in Korat the cops never mess with you unless you are blatantly doing something wrong and even if the cops did stop me close to home my passport isn’t more than a few minutes away in my house.  But I never have to worry about the cops around here they leave people alone as long as you’re not doing anything wrong.  Even when I went to the bank yesterday to take care of my pass book and get my bank statement printed I didn’t even need to bring my passport.  My bank branch knows me well they always see me once a month.  I even asked them about the VA Direct Deposit form and I’m probably going to do that new Direct Deposit thing through the VA because it’s looking like the VA can do it a lot easier than other government agencies.  My local SCB branch even filled in the bank information for me on my VA Direct Deposit form which I could have done myself and I’m going to recopy it in my legible hand writing but that was very helpful of them.  

Anyway thanks everyone I got it I’m good, I just asked a somewhat dumb question I guess.  I’ve just gotten used to being in the same place for to long and I’m getting a little complacent I guess.  I don’t travel as often as I used to.  

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats a new one for me... Which Nationalities (Foreigners) do not have to fill out a TM6 form?

Upon check in at Thailand I have always been asked for a copy of my Passport.

I can't say for certain that they also copy the TM6 card in every hotel I've stayed at, but they take the Passport away and make a photocopy of it.

A hotel not doing this is breaking the law. 

Thus, it may not happen all the time, as we are aware that laws are often broken here. But if the Op is going to be staying at a semi decent hotel or upwards (i.e. 3* and up) the probability his stay would be refused is increased if he is unable to present a passport. 

Thus: Alluding to the point that the Op may not require his passport would not make good advice. 

Well it may be new for you, but it isn't for anyone with permanent residence. They don't have a TM6 in their passport. So I guess it can't be a requirement after all, can it?

Perhaps you always carry your passport with you everywhere you go. Or perhaps you follow the Thaivisa experts top-tip to head down to your local photocopy shop to have a miniature laminated colour copy of your passport made and carry that. I don't know.

As shocking as it may be that (gasp) 3* and up hotels break the law, they must do because they always me to check-in and I never have my passport with me.

2 minutes ago, thedemon said:

As shocking as it may be that (gasp) 3* and up hotels break the law, they must do because they always me to check-in and I never have my passport with me.

These are not international hotels that you refer, for example, Hilton, Accor Group, Hyatt and Four Seasons.

Anyway, I won't labour the point any further and have succinctly provided knowledgeable and reliable information when it comes to the big players in Thailand.  You definitely will not secure accommodation without the aforementioned documentation whether you've paid upfront or have a reservation as it's the law in LOS and the international players abide by the letter of said law.   

Oh man what have I started???  I’m good I’m going to bring my passport whenever we go out on a long trip for more than a day.  I just asked kind of a dumb question is all.  I haven’t been getting out as much lately as I used to is all.  And this is the longest time I’ve ever gone in my life without flying all over the world.  But I understand I need to bring my passport especially if we’re going to be out of town for more than one night.  I got it.  Looks like I stirred up the online hornets nest unwittingly.  I didn’t mean to do that.  

7 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

These are not international hotels that you refer, for example, Hilton, Accor Group, Hyatt and Four Seasons.

Anyway, I won't labour the point any further and have succinctly provided knowledgeable and reliable information when it comes to the big players in Thailand.  You definitely will not secure accommodation without the aforementioned documentation whether you've paid upfront or have a reservation as it's the law in LOS and the international players abide by the letter of said law.   

Sure I can check-in to any of those hotels without either my passport or my stamped departure chit. Absolutely.

6 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

Oh man what have I started???

You've started nothing, boogeyman.  This forum is a great source of pooled information and just like, for example, TripAdvisor, we peruse all the posts and pick up the common thread.  

We now know that Somchai's Boutique Apartments at 400 baht a night probably have a less rigid ID requirement than the Banyan Tree.  

Archived