Do you need to have your passport with you when staying at hotels in Bangkok?

theboogeyman

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Compared to my trouser pocket, bag and jacket in a hotel room, (or worse the drawer in hotel reception) it's definitely approaching fort Knox.

Never misunderestimate the power of the inside job.  MIL is usually prime suspect in most instances. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Wait a minute is that actually a risk these days of them mistakenly re-registering your address to a hotel?  We’re only going to be there two nights tops.  I certainly hope not.  

I don't know if it's actually a risk but this is what I did in March this year:

Staying at a hotel in Pattaya - I know they HAD copied my PP and TM6 and told immigration of my presence because they kindly give me a copy of the entry on the immigration Database for when I extend my SETV.  I kept my room at the Pattaya hotel and went to Kanchanaburi with a friend for 3 days. The hotel in Kanchanaburi copied my PP and TM6.

So as far as hotels go, I was in 2 places at once, which is clearly impossible!

Then I went back to Pattaya to the same hotel room (which I'd never checked out of) so for them it was if I never left. 10 days later, went to Jomtien Immigration to extend my SETV, taking the copy of the entry on the immigration Database with me along with the other required paperwork.

SETV was extended no problem. 

So whether it matters or not or whether the 2 Immigration Offices (Kanchanaburi and Jomtien) are not exchanging information, I really don't know...but that was what happened.

And FYI @theboogeyman if you want to cease interruptions, either reset your "Follow" options or completely Unfollow the thread when you have all you need from it

This is on a PC but I'm sure the App has the functionality somewhere ????

image.png.de90a4ff68d81454ca643a1c03c03ef8.png

4 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

And for short term visitors make sure you have your passport and the stamped departure chit.  I staple it in my passport as can quite easily lose it otherwise.

I scan my passport into my pc but I always take it with me if I go outside of the province.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I scan my passport into my pc but I always take it with me if I go outside of the province.

Yup!  I scan or photograph my PP, TM6 and Visa and all entry and extension stamps into my laptop, copy the scans to my phone and still take the PP with me if I go outside of the province! Oh and they're all backed up to my Cloud Server ????

46 minutes ago, VBF said:

I don't know if it's actually a risk but this is what I did in March this year:

Staying at a hotel in Pattaya - I know they HAD copied my PP and TM6 and told immigration of my presence because they kindly give me a copy of the entry on the immigration Database for when I extend my SETV.  I kept my room at the Pattaya hotel and went to Kanchanaburi with a friend for 3 days. The hotel in Kanchanaburi copied my PP and TM6.

So as far as hotels go, I was in 2 places at once, which is clearly impossible!

Then I went back to Pattaya to the same hotel room (which I'd never checked out of) so for them it was if I never left. 10 days later, went to Jomtien Immigration to extend my SETV, taking the copy of the entry on the immigration Database with me along with the other required paperwork.

SETV was extended no problem. 

So whether it matters or not or whether the 2 Immigration Offices (Kanchanaburi and Jomtien) are not exchanging information, I really don't know...but that was what happened.

And FYI @theboogeyman if you want to cease interruptions, either reset your "Follow" options or completely Unfollow the thread when you have all you need from it

This is on a PC but I'm sure the App has the functionality somewhere ????

image.png.de90a4ff68d81454ca643a1c03c03ef8.png

Well I don’t know if it makes a difference but I’m on a long stay extension not an SETV.  So I actually do have a permanent address registered in Thailand where I have been living for the past 5 years.  So I don’t think this effects me.  It’s alright I’m not concerned about it.  

I’m actually more concerned about whether or not Bangkok is going to be packed next week because of the new king ceremony.  Does anyone know if that’s going to be a big thing next week as well?  If so next week might not be the best time to plan a trip down there.  I’ve heard stories that there might be thousands of people in the streets watching the king travel the streets of Bangkok.  If so maybe I should plan it for the following week.  I don’t want to because I already have plans in Bangkok on the 8th.  But if roads are gonna be closed and stuff it’ll take forever to get around town.  Bangkok is already busy enough as it is.  Last time I was there I remember one night it took over an hour just to drive 2K that was slower traffic then I ever saw in Tokyo, Japan.  

Well I don’t know if it makes a difference but I’m on a long stay extension not an SETV.  So I actually do have a permanent address registered in Thailand where I have been living for the past 5 years.  So I don’t think this effects me.  It’s alright I’m not concerned about it.  

I’m actually more concerned about whether or not Bangkok is going to be packed next week because of the new king ceremony.  Does anyone know if that’s going to be a big thing next week as well?  If so next week might not be the best time to plan a trip down there.  I’ve heard stories that there might be thousands of people in the streets watching the king travel the streets of Bangkok.  If so maybe I should plan it for the following week.  I don’t want to because I already have plans in Bangkok on the 8th.  But if roads are gonna be closed and stuff it’ll take forever to get around town.  Bangkok is already busy enough as it is.  Last time I was there I remember one night it took over an hour just to drive 2K that was slower traffic then I ever saw in Tokyo, Japan.  

The coronation festivities last untill 6th and on 7th is back to business as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The coronation festivities last untill 6th and on 7th is back to business as usual.

On that note I wish the King and Thailand all the very best and look forward to later today’s celebrations.

Quite an impressive spectacle, as always.

6 hours ago, thedemon said:

Well it may be new for you, but it isn't for anyone with permanent residence. They don't have a TM6 in their passport. So I guess it can't be a requirement after all, can it?

Perhaps you always carry your passport with you everywhere you go. Or perhaps you follow the Thaivisa experts top-tip to head down to your local photocopy shop to have a miniature laminated colour copy of your passport made and carry that. I don't know.

As shocking as it may be that (gasp) 3* and up hotels break the law, they must do because they always me to check-in and I never have my passport with me.

You are advising the Op that he will not need his Passport because you have Permanent Residence and don't need it which is quite a rare situation for a foreigner to be in. 

Thats not really good advice then is it?.

16 hours ago, thedemon said:

Personally I never carry my passport when travelling domestically in Thailand and have never had any issue with that. Since 2012 I have generally carried a pink ID card so used that. Prior to that I generally used any photo ID (licence, APEC card) for checking-in and boarding domestic flights. For hotels, their primary consideration is getting paid. Mostly I use a Thai credit card so they have some ID from that. Once in a while they ask for more (e.g. passport) but I never have it and have never been denied a room. 

Haven't needed to produce my passport for hotels in over 10 years now. Never travel with it 

The Pink Card and the Thai D/L is all that's needed. 

I would never carry my passport unless leaving the country, visiting immigration, or doing something with my bank. A color copy is best as they like to make a photocopy. It always satisfies them. And a thai drivers license should work too.

Why take the risk of carrying your original passport around?

24 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:
16 hours ago, thedemon said:

Personally I never carry my passport when travelling domestically in Thailand and have never had any issue with that. Since 2012 I have generally carried a pink ID card so used that. Prior to that I generally used any photo ID (licence, APEC card) for checking-in and boarding domestic flights. For hotels, their primary consideration is getting paid. Mostly I use a Thai credit card so they have some ID from that. Once in a while they ask for more (e.g. passport) but I never have it and have never been denied a room. 

Haven't needed to produce my passport for hotels in over 10 years now. Never travel with it 

The Pink Card and the Thai D/L is all that's needed. 

Wrong. The hotel must fill tm30. Also many are instructed to take copies of, even the stamps. They let you check in out of courtesy, but are braking the law doing so.

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I would never carry my passport unless leaving the country, visiting immigration, or doing something with my bank. A color copy is best as they like to make a photocopy. It always satisfies them. And a thai drivers license should work too.

Because it must be presented if asked for. Police, hotels, comes to mind.

12 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

So I actually do have a permanent address registered in Thailand where I have been living for the past 5 years.

You may want to consider getting a yellow tabien bahn and with that then getting a pink ID card. With that you should be able to do banking and hotel check-ins and domestic flights without need of your passport. I've been doing this for years in and outside of Bangkok. My passport only comes out of the safe for immigration stuff and international flights. For peace of mind I call the hotel/airline prior to make sure they accept it. Never had any problems.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I just carry  my Thai D/L for the bus.

Your wife can book the hotel room with her ID card.

I used to just use my DL or my credit card size photo of passport details and visa. Some hotels insist on passports now and I have watched them even check the visa renewal date in it!

18 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Always carry and secure your passport when travelling...the hotel will likely make a copy to report you are staying with them to immigration...

a copy is enough, by law

if police stops you , you might have to go present the original

10 minutes ago, justin case said:

a copy is enough, by law

if police stops you , you might have to go present the original

Going to retrieve the original PP might then become problematic...being far from home...

I carry a copy of my passport picture page and my TM card. For extra safety I also copy my last 90 report and my retirement Visa. I make them the size of a credit card. So only 2 cards are needed you can put the info on the front and back of the card. Carrying the info on your phone is a useful precaution but the hotel has difficulty copying your phone. They need to report your presence in the hotel to the police. 

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I just carry  my Thai D/L for the bus.

Your wife can book the hotel room with her ID card.

That's the way it used to be, last week I went to BKK with the missus, she showed her ID at the desk but unusually this time they wanted to see my passport as well and checked every page. I asked why and the desk lady said everything has changed now, it's all very strict and they have to comply with the law...or else !

19 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Okay that sounds like nothing’s changed since the last time we went on a leisure outing.  Although I’ve actually never taken the bus before and I don’t have a Thai DL.  Would the bus need to see my passport?  I always keep a picture of my passport on my iPhone and valid forms of ID from the United States in my wallet but I prefer to leave my passport safely at home when traveling the country on leisure trips.  I usually only bring my passport out with me only if I’m going to immigration or the embassy or if I need it for any other type of business.  I just don’t like carrying it unless I have to I treat all my immigration documents like gold.  Bangkok is about a 5 hour trip from where we live.  

Just take your passport with you what is the big deal, but they have gotten tuffer about wanting a passport. For years used my D/L to register hotel then went to Kanchanaburi and no we want your passport because immigration tours the hotels checking that we have a copy. But as we all know there will be an exception to the rule somewhere someplace. Just take it with you look at all the time you have wasted on TV wondering about something that has a very easy solution. Legally you are suppose to have you passport on you at all times

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Because Hotels will require your passport. Clearly reports on this vary, but it would appear that any International Chain hotel (Ibis, Marriott, Inter-continental, Holiday Inn etc etc) will definitely require a passport. 

Local Chain hotels may or may not ask for your passport and complete the Immigration Registration Process. 

It's clear that there is far greater pressure on hotels to follow the Immigration Regulations, thus what worked 5 years ago may not follow today. 

Unlikely, but the Police may ask for your ID and need to enquire of your Immigration Status, i.e. if you are stopped on the street, involved in a traffic accident etc. IF the Police are being difficult, they could ask for your passport instead of accepting a copy - Under such circumstances having your passport on you or nearby in a hotel safe is better for obvious reasons. 

I would always ask 'why risk not having it with you when leaving the province?'

There are many free programs, One Drive that comes with a Hotmail account is one of them. Scan your files in and you'll have access from any unit.

Another easy way is to scan all important document sin, send them to your own e-mail address and you've got all in a few minutes. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The probability of the Hotel needing your passport to fill out their immigration report is high unless you are staying at an extremely low-key place. 

The probability of being stopped randomly by the Police and asking for your passport is extremely low (virtually nil), but it has happened. 

The inconvenience if stopped by the BiB and you don't have your passport within a reasonable time frame - extremely inconvenient (not wishing to scare monger - just being factual).

On any visit outside of my home (i.e. travel outside of Bangkok to another city) I always take my passport. I can keep it in the safe with my iPad and backup (emergency) Cards. 

Its much better to have your passport with you and not need it, than not have it and need it. 

Great post Richard. I book hotels under my Thai wife's name and ask her to do the talking when we check-in. Last September in Phuket the hotel desk staff looked all through my passport, studied the 'used' Visa and then discussed my extension stamp between themselves. They took photocopies before handing my passport back. You certainly do need to take your passport!

Archived