Do you need to have your passport with you when staying at hotels in Bangkok?

theboogeyman

20 hours ago, Pravda said:

I have stayed in around 100 hotels in Bangkok and Pattaya and always needed my passport, no exceptions.

You can have it on the phone and email it, that would work, but they will want a copy and your wife has nothing to do with anything.

Did you ever try just offering  just your D/L as BritManToo  describes?      Works every time for me without exception.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Yes.....u need passport.....OR....your Thai license.

I have lived here 14 yrs and if traveling domestically, All I need is my Thai license to fly or check in to hotel

Wrong... Your Thai License will not suffice for Immigration Purposes - there are plenty of hotels which strictly apply the Immigration regulations, these hotels will not allow you to check in without presenting your Passport. 

You are advising the Op that he will not need his Passport because you have Permanent Residence and don't need it which is quite a rare situation for a foreigner to be in. 

Thats not really good advice then is it?.

Guys I know how things work when traveling overseas I’ve been doing it for quite sometime now. I asked is because I’ve been living here for 5 years now and this is probably the longest time I’ve ever stayed in one place before. I never carry my passport around with me in town when I’m out nearby home and I’m not going to start doing that anytime soon. When I’m nearby home there’s no reason to carry it around unless I need it for immigration or other business. Although I usually don’t carry it with me either on long road trips if it’s just leisure travel.

So honestly the only real reason why I asked is just because I haven’t gone out of town in a long time and stayed overnight in a hotel for a while now. I’m retired now so I don’t travel hardly anywhere anymore except for day trips and stuff now and then. Last time we did I didn’t need my passport at the hotel but that was a while ago. I only brought up the subject in the first place because I’ve heard that immigration is getting tougher on hotels about reporting foreigners staying there that’s honestly the only reason why I asked in the first place I probably didn’t make that clear in my initial post. Of course I read that in an article posted on this forum which usually means that it’s probably not as bad as they made it sound. But if it’s true that hotels are getting fined for not properly reporting foreigners staying there then I’ll make sure and bring my passport with me. I prefer to just leave it safe at home these days is all but if I’m taking a risk by not bringing it with me on a two night trip far away from home then yeah obviously I better bring it with me and I am.

Also I guess I just wasn’t thinking when I posted the topic of course I should take my passport with me whenever we go that far away from home especially over night especially since it’ll be just my wife and I and not the whole family.

I was mainly just wondering about the hotels and if they have gotten strict about seeing passports when checking in because in the past I’ve often just left my passport at home when going out on leisure trips with the family even when we stayed in hotels and it was never a problem before but that was a while ago. I might just be getting a little bit complacent about little things like that since I’ve been retired because this is the longest time I’ve ever stayed in the same place for so long with no business TDY travel or constantly flying all over the world. For the last 5 years I’ve just been in Thailand only so I normally don’t carry my passport on me unless I need it for immigration or other business.

I was kind of planning our trip in my head last night and I just thought to myself “hmm maybe I should take my passport with me I wonder if they’re getting strict about that at the hotels these days”. So I just kind of posted this topic last night without really thinking about it enough for myself and it ended up turning into this really long dialogue because I asked kind of a dumb question. Obviously if I think there’s a chance I might need to have my passport on me then obviously of course I should take it with me. I really didn’t need to post this topic about that I feel kind of dumb asking about something that I should have thought about for myself in only a few seconds.

What I probably should have originally posted if anything at all was just a short simple question. “Are the hotels in Bangkok getting more thorough these days about checking passports when checking in?” And maybe just “Is Bangkok going to be crowded next week because of the king’s ceremony?” That’s all I was really wondering about but the way I worded it in my original post just made it sound like a dumb question like “duh do I need to have my passport on me when traveling duhhh?” But I’ve already got the answers to both those questions and yeah it sounds like the hotels are checking passports from all foreigners these days I asked them when I made my reservations last night. And it sounds like all the festivities will be over and the streets should be clear when we go about as clear as the streets of Bangkok ever really get anyway it’s always busy down there that’s I prefer to avoid Bangkok if something big is going on unless I want to see it.

I think our next overnight trip should be to Chiangmai I want to see the Hill Tribes Villages again up in the mountains. I was there before on my first trip here almost 10 years ago and we saw a lot of Thailand on that first trip here I was living in Tokyo, Japan at the time before I retired and I saw more of Thailand in 20 days then I ever saw in Japan in 4 years. I had the best time of my life on our first trip here and that’s when I decided that I was going to retire here for sure. I never wanted to leave. When I first visited here I was still in the prime of my life and I was still in great physical shape so I was a lot more active and I wanted to do everything. We did just about everything on that trip. I remember an area in far north western Thailand somewhere outside of Chiangmai where I climbed a mountain and then at the top there was a really cool cave to explore. It was just a lot of fun and I wish I could still do all the extreme physical stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
30 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Yes.....u need passport.....OR....your Thai license.

I have lived here 14 yrs and if traveling domestically, All I need is my Thai license to fly or check in to hotel

Wrong... Your Thai License will not suffice for Immigration Purposes - there are plenty of hotels which strictly apply the Immigration regulations, these hotels will not allow you to check in without presenting your Passport. 

Also DL is not even an offical ID. It is not accepted at DLT for ID. It can be used at many places but is not an official ID.

46 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Did you ever try just offering  just your D/L as BritManToo  describes?      Works every time for me without exception.

Actually I’m going to try doing it that way just because I don’t want them to possibly confuse the hotel address with my real home address in the immigration system since I don’t live anywhere near Bangkok.  If they insist on seeing my passport then I’ll just show it to them oh well.  What’s the worst that could happen if they somehow got my address confused I’d probably just have to fill out a new TM-30 next time I do my 90 day report oh well.  Even if that did happen they would still have my real address on file and I could probably just simply explain to immigration that we had been out of town for a few nights the previous month.  

Lots of us who live here on long stay visas travel and go sightseeing so I’m sure it’s probably not a thing that happens a lot.  I asked someone about that who’s the subject matter expert on these things and he said that it’s possible that could happen but not likely and even if it did happen it’s a pretty easy fix when reporting to immigration.  I’ve never read any reports on here of anyone saying that immigration ever got their home address confused with a hotel somewhere around here, but someone on here brought up that possibility and that caught my attention.  

22 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Always carry and secure your passport when travelling...the hotel will likely make a copy to report you are staying with them to immigration...

I was asked as recently as Tuesday in hotel near Don Mueang. 

I normally carry my passport whilst travelling thru Thailand for Hotels, recently i accidentally left it at home in our house in Udon and luckily found a scan of it on my iphone, and just emailed it to the front desk whilst checking in. This satisfied all the hotels i booked in Bangkok, Hua Hin, Krabi etc and had no problems whatsoever.

21 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Wait a minute is that actually a risk these days of them mistakenly re-registering your address to a hotel?  We’re only going to be there two nights tops.  I certainly hope not.  

That's my take on it. The system is supposedly set up so that 'they know where you are'. When I register online I have to enter my passport number and TM6 number. So it seems clear to me that if you register at your home address and then stay at a hotel that actually complies and registers you there, you are no longer registered at your home address. You would therefore have to register again when you go back home.  When I register there is no place to enter how long I'm staying or my next destination and I've seen the registration system for hotels - its identical (in fact I think its the same). There is also no requirement for hotels to de-register you - if the system works as I believe its designed to, it should track you until you leave - the departure card should check you out of the system.

As an aside, I wonder if the system is robust enough? If they continue with their stated intent of making hotels comply and register all non Thai guests there's going to be huge increase in traffic to the website.

I think the honest answer to the OP's original question is that at the moment some hotels might not insist on you having your passport - I know that up to now, I've used my driving licence on many occasions. But, if as the authorities say they are going to, the law is enforced, then yes, you will need your passport - and as I've said above, you will then need to re-register when you go home.

I wonder though, what the position would be if those with a Thai wife or girlfriend, let them do the checking in?  I've checked in to hotels several times with members of my UK family and the hotel has only ever required one of our passports (per room) at check in.

Its all bloody nonsense anyway, there's no way that any of this will make the Thai authorities aware of the whereabouts of someone who doesn't want them to know.

7 pages debating whether it's necessary to take along something which weighs about 1 ounce and is tiny.

If there's any doubt, what's the big deal of taking the PP along on the trip?

I know I even said earlier God what have I started? I was mainly just wondering if hotels are getting tougher about checking passports upon checkin but I should have worded my original post better. I was also just wondering about what the crowds are going to be like because of the King’s ceremony. I should just kept my post short with just those two quick questions. Because everyone always has an opinion on here about every little thing but I did start it I guess.

Although that little 1 ounce passport is extremely important when living overseas and when I don’t need it I prefer to just leave it safely locked up at home. If it gets lost especially when you’re living here on a long stay extension you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to get made whole again not to mention another trip all the way down to the embassy to get a new passport that costs about $100 dollars and then wait for two weeks to receive it and then the hassle of getting all your extension stamps back and the lost departure card and lots of other stuff. When you’re living here on a long stay extension a lost passport is one of my worst nightmares so no actually I don’t like carrying it unless I have to. I’m always very careful and I never lose anything important but stuff can happen. I live here on a long stay extension so I treat my passport and all my immigration documents like gold. I would never want to deal with the stress of a lost passport on a long stay extension here, that would suck especially since I live 5 hours away from the embassy. So I get that my original post wasn’t quite worded the way I meant but it is a reasonable concern.

22 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Wait a minute is that actually a risk these days of them mistakenly re-registering your address to a hotel?  We’re only going to be there two nights tops.  I certainly hope not.  

If you are talking about your address for visa/extension purposes, I doubt it but I guess its possible. I'm refering to the system they use to supposedly track you.  Whether they are one and the same, I know not.

If you are talking about your address for visa/extension purposes, I doubt it but I guess its possible. I'm refering to the system they use to supposedly track you.  Whether they are one and the same, I know not.

Yeah I decided that’s not really worth worrying about worst case scenario it would just mean doing a new TM-30 or just simply explaining to immigration that we went out of town for a few days. I don’t think it would be an issue lots of people travel here who also live here. When it was first mentioned last night it did get my attention at first but then I just figured why worry about little risks like that which can be easily fixed even if it was an issue. I started to think about it a little bit last night but then I decided that it’s kind of a silly thing to worry about.

The paranoia about passport security is palpable.  I keep mine safely wedged under the sun visor of the car since I was told by a cop about 25k from home that I should carry it at all times. 

I can't recall a hotel that hasn't asked for it if I am the primary customer with the exception of a couple of small resorts. Large hotels ask for it 100% of the time. 

I recently travelled in from overseas and stayed at one hotel.  The next day I stayed at Nana hotel.  I put the to/from information as from overseas and to Bangkok.  The lady at reception check my pp details and made me change the overseas part to bangkok as she had checked the arrival date and compared it to my check in details. 

Those who know the Nana hotel know it's not an upscale place of lodging. 

OP play it safe and take your passport with you. No big deal in doing so. 

4 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I can't recall a hotel that hasn't asked for it if I am the primary customer with the exception of a couple of small resorts.

The major hotel chains also request sight of my wife's passport and she's Thai and I'm always the primary customer and has been like this for many years.  I always proffer her Thai passport as that is what she entered LOS on.  I dread to think of the confusion and blank stares if I provided her British passport.  

On 5/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, scorecard said:

Or put that another way, all hotels etc., in Thailand are required by law to advise Immigration what foreigners are staying in the premises, even short stays. 

Plus there have been many reports of hotels being fined for being lax with this subject. 

they should make things easier like China, have recording cameras at every corner thus surveillance at all times, thus no more copies and saving lots of paper

Best to carry it. If you decide to travel by bus, and have to go through an army checkpoint, if you don't have a pink ID card, then they'll definitely want to see your passport. They're not interested in Thai Drivers Licenses.

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

That's my take on it. The system is supposedly set up so that 'they know where you are'. When I register online I have to enter my passport number and TM6 number. So it seems clear to me that if you register at your home address and then stay at a hotel that actually complies and registers you there, you are no longer registered at your home address. You would therefore have to register again when you go back home.  When I register there is no place to enter how long I'm staying or my next destination and I've seen the registration system for hotels - its identical (in fact I think its the same). There is also no requirement for hotels to de-register you - if the system works as I believe its designed to, it should track you until you leave - the departure card should check you out of the system.

As an aside, I wonder if the system is robust enough? If they continue with their stated intent of making hotels comply and register all non Thai guests there's going to be huge increase in traffic to the website.

I think the honest answer to the OP's original question is that at the moment some hotels might not insist on you having your passport - I know that up to now, I've used my driving licence on many occasions. But, if as the authorities say they are going to, the law is enforced, then yes, you will need your passport - and as I've said above, you will then need to re-register when you go home.

I wonder though, what the position would be if those with a Thai wife or girlfriend, let them do the checking in?  I've checked in to hotels several times with members of my UK family and the hotel has only ever required one of our passports (per room) at check in.

Its all bloody nonsense anyway, there's no way that any of this will make the Thai authorities aware of the whereabouts of someone who doesn't want them to know.

On TM30 online it is very clear. When you register to online reporting you either register as hotel or private residence. Not as both. There is check in date and check out date. When I check in myself at my residence I don't fill check out date. Hotels probably do fill check out dates as they are hotels. Nothing unclear, no confusion really possible between your residence and hotel.

8 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

Because it must be presented if asked for. Police, hotels, comes to mind.

Never. The police have always accepted a color copy of my passport. And a Thai drivers license works just as well. Never once had an issue. Every hotel has accepted a color copy. 

I would never travel with my original passport. Unless I was leaving the country. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because Hotels will require your passport. Clearly reports on this vary, but it would appear that any International Chain hotel (Ibis, Marriott, Inter-continental, Holiday Inn etc etc) will definitely require a passport. 

Local Chain hotels may or may not ask for your passport and complete the Immigration Registration Process. 

It's clear that there is far greater pressure on hotels to follow the Immigration Regulations, thus what worked 5 years ago may not follow today. 

Unlikely, but the Police may ask for your ID and need to enquire of your Immigration Status, i.e. if you are stopped on the street, involved in a traffic accident etc. IF the Police are being difficult, they could ask for your passport instead of accepting a copy - Under such circumstances having your passport on you or nearby in a hotel safe is better for obvious reasons. 

I would always ask 'why risk not having it with you when leaving the province?'

Never required. Never once. A color copy and Thai DL has always sufficed. 

Not having your passport, is the same as not having a proper driver's license, not wearing a helmet, not wearing your seatbelt or not having vehicle/medical insurance. It's not a problem until there is a problem. 

Those who laugh at such things are free to do so. I doubt they would be laughing when they are denied accomodation or the freedom to be on their way by the authorities after an incident.

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:
8 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

Because it must be presented if asked for. Police, hotels, comes to mind.

Never. The police have always accepted a color copy of my passport. And a Thai drivers license works just as well. Never once had an issue. Every hotel has accepted a color copy. 

I would never travel with my original passport. Unless I was leaving the country. 

I only told you what is the law. If you don't like it do as you wish. The only country you don't need your passport at is the one that gave you a passport. In the rest you are a tourist.

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Never required. Never once. A color copy and Thai DL has always sufficed. 

Probably ‘cos you’re a nice guy.

I have Thai friends (Police & Immigration Police) who’ve stopped foreigner for some reason or another (usually making s nuisance of themselves), when they become loud & offensive the Police don’t let anything slide and make life difficult. 

Thus; if in s situation where you are stopped a polite person rarely faces difficulties, but if the Police officer decides for whatever reason he doesn’t like you life for the next few hours can become a nightmare. 

IMO: it’s simply best not to leave ‘that ball’ In someone else’s court.

With the exception of checking in to a hotel I’ve also never needed my passport, but that doesn’t mean I won’t at some point in the future and thus always have it accessible to myself or my Wife within an hour or two.

I’m going to carry my passport everywhere in a suitcase handcuffed to my wrist. No really I will take it with me on long trips especially overnight trips from now on but I really am very careful with my documents I don’t like putting myself in a situation where it could possibly be lost so no I don’t take it everywhere with me. For example my wife and I are out to dinner right now only 5K from home and I’m not carrying it with me right now and I don’t need to. In 5 years I’ve never carried my passport around town locally unless I need it for immigration or other business. But of course I’ll take it with me to Bangkok. I really didn’t mean for this to turn into a long discussion. I didn’t really properly word my original post. All I really wanted to ask was are hotels around here getting strict about checking passports on checkin? And if Bangkok is gonna be overcrowded in a few days because of the King’s ceremony? That’s all I really meant to ask but I didn’t really word my original post properly it was too much information and now it’s a long dialogue posted on Thai Visas email forum lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I have Thai friends (Police & Immigration Police) who’ve stopped foreigner for some reason or another (usually making s nuisance of themselves), when they become loud & offensive the Police don’t let anything slide and make life difficult. 
Thus; if in s situation where you are stopped a polite person rarely faces difficulties, but if the Police officer decides for whatever reason he doesn’t like you life for the next few hours can become a nightmare. 

With the exception of checking in to a hotel I’ve also never needed my passport, but that doesn’t mean I won’t at some point in the future and thus always have it accessible to myself or my Wife within an hour or two.

I’m going to carry my passport everywhere in a suitcase handcuffed to my wrist. No really I will take it with me on long trips especially overnight trips from now on but I really am very careful with my documents I don’t like putting myself in a situation where it could possibly be lost so no I don’t take it everywhere with me. For example my wife and I are out to dinner right now only 5K from home and I’m not carrying it with me right now and I don’t need to. In 5 years I’ve never carried my passport around town locally unless I need it for immigration or other business. But of course I’ll take it with me to Bangkok. I really didn’t mean for this to turn into a long discussion. I didn’t really properly word my original post. All I really wanted to ask was are hotels around here getting strict about checking passports on checkin? And if Bangkok is gonna be overcrowded in a few days because of the King’s ceremony? That’s all I really meant to ask but I didn’t really word my original post properly it was too much information and now it’s a long dialogue posted on Thai Visas email forum lol.

Oh wait I have a scenario for you [emoji23]. Pop quiz. Let’s say I’m in Bangkok carrying my passport at a go go bar or something and I’m hammered drunk with three girls up in my lap grinding on me, meanwhile my wife is sitting across from me getting pissed off throwing beer bottles at me. Then the next morning I wake up face down in an alleyway with a lower back tattoo, I can’t remember anything, and then my passport is missing. Then what? Am I screwed? Not in the literal sense of speaking but because my passport is now missing with my extension stamps in it. What happens if I end up in a situation like that. A Hangover part II kind of situation???

I just read the first part of your message and yeah I guess I am a nice guy I never draw unnecessary attention to myself and the cops never bother me but I do live in Korat and it’s different up here it’s better. The cops up here will pretty much always leave you alone unless you are blatantly causing a disturbance or trouble or anything illegal. It’s pretty chill up here in Korat I like it. I’ve never had any interactions with the cops except for a few times when I initiated a conversation with a Thai cop at the grocery store. I’ve never been stopped and I probably never will but yeah I will have my passport on me if I’m more than an hour away from home.

11 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

Oh wait I have a scenario for you emoji23.png. Pop quiz. Let’s say I’m in Bangkok carrying my passport at a go go bar or something and I’m hammered drunk with three girls up in my lap grinding on me, meanwhile my wife is sitting across from me getting pissed off throwing beer bottles at me. Then the next morning I wake up face down in an alleyway with a lower back tattoo, I can’t remember anything, and then my passport is missing. Then what? Am I screwed? Not in the literal sense of speaking but because my passport is now missing with my extension stamps in it. What happens if I end up in a situation like that. A Hangover part II kind of situation???

When that happened to me the passport wasn’t the problem, now the tatoo... explaining that one to the family was tricky !!!

Leave the Passport in the Hotel Safe (when travelling), it’s left in my safe at home when I’m in Bangkok. 

I don’t advise taking your passport out on bender or even day to day life, but I’d advise to keep it within ‘reasonable reach’ i.e. accessible within 1-2 hrs.

Archived