Do you need to have your passport with you when staying at hotels in Bangkok?

theboogeyman

When that happened to me the passport wasn’t the problem, now the tatoo... explaining that one to the family was tricky !!!

Leave the Passport in the Hotel Safe (when travelling), it’s left in my safe at home when I’m in Bangkok. 

I don’t advise taking your passport out on bender or even day to day life, but I’d advise to keep it within ‘reasonable reach’ i.e. accessible within 1-2 hrs.

I was joking actually but seriously never leave anything valuable in a hotel safe. Hotel safes are not safe at all. Just trust me on that. And don’t leave any computers or electronics capable of transmitting or receiving in your hotel room either overseas. Just trust me on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

..... I really didn’t mean for this to turn into a long discussion. I didn’t really properly word my original post. All I really wanted to ask was are hotels around here getting strict about checking passports on checkin? 

No need to apologise... you started an interesting debate. 

Its surprising just how different peoples opinions are on this & how their experiences differ. 

8 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

And don’t leave any computers or electronics capable of transmitting or receiving in your hotel room either overseas. Just trust me on that one.

WHere do you leave them if you go out for the evening?

No need to apologise... you started an interesting debate. 

Its surprising just how different peoples opinions are on this & how their experiences differ. 

Yes it’s been a very informative discussion and it’s provided a lot of insight. So for tomorrow I’m going to be discussing whether or not I should trust prostitutes with wallet and credit cards while she has me handcuffed to a bed. I think that will be a very good debate and very informative.

I’m sorry my wife and I are out to dinner and I have been consuming alcohol. I don’t usually drink but when I do I recommend that you drink Beer Lao. I’m going to log off before I go into a Mel Gibson rant or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, theboogeyman said:

And if Bangkok is gonna be overcrowded in a few days because of the King’s ceremony?

I'm glad you're not my diary keeper.  

1 hour ago, theboogeyman said:

Then the next morning I wake up face down in an alleyway with a lower back tattoo,

I miss being young and waking up in a pool of vomit and urine.  

What happens if you are in a crash while riding the bus or the bus is stopped and the bad men steal your money? Good time to have your passport for the hospital or police? I guess both will accept a copy.

Do hotels accept a copy? I know I can change money with a copy.

3 minutes ago, elgenon said:

What happens if you are in a crash while riding the bus or the bus is stopped and the bad men steal your money? Good time to have your passport for the hospital or police? I guess both will accept a copy.

Or no ID at all at many booths

On 5/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, theboogeyman said:

Really well it’s been a while since we’ve stayed in a hotel around here and I haven’t traveled for a while now.  I used to travel all the time.  I’ve actually never had any hotels in Thailand ever ask for my passport but it’s been a while since we’ve stayed in any hotels around here.  In the past I’ve always just left my passport at home on leisure travel within the country and I never actually needed it, but I understand times are changing around here.  I’ve stayed at hotels in other countries especially in Europe where they actually want to hold your passport which I always hated.  I’ve never had an issue here before.  

But the more I think about it I ought to know better with my background so I’m just going to take it with me and carry it with my wallet.  It’s just that this is the longest time I’ve ever stayed in the same place for so long in like 25 plus years.  I’ve been here 5 years now and I don’t remember the last time I’ve ever lived in one place for so long or not traveled abroad for this long.  So I’ve just gotten used to going out without my passport unless I need it for something.  Here in Korat the cops never stop you unless you’re doing something wrong and it’s been a few years since we’ve stayed in any hotels around here.  Last time we stayed in a hotel was just some little beach hotel in Rayong and they didn’t even ask for my passport and in years past no other hotels around here have ever asked for it either so I’ve kind of just gotten used to not carrying it unless I need it for business.  But I guess times are changing in Thailand immigration is getting tougher on hotels about reporting foreigners staying there.  

I've stayed in hotels all over Thailand for 30+ years. 99% of the time they have asked for my passport. 

On 5/4/2019 at 4:43 PM, BritManToo said:

I just carry  my Thai D/L for the bus.

Your wife can book the hotel room with her ID card.

That has worked for me up until about a year ago. In the last year even hotels I have stayed at regularly where my wife has done the booking have insisted on seeing my passport before I could go to the room.

It would be up to individuals if they want to take the chance.

17 hours ago, zhangxifu said:

I only told you what is the law. If you don't like it do as you wish. The only country you don't need your passport at is the one that gave you a passport. In the rest you are a tourist.

I agree with you that it is the law. However, laws must be defied when they are inane. And in all of the years I have been here, I have never had an issue with a drivers license, and a color copy. So, why not stick with what works?

16 hours ago, theboogeyman said:

Oh wait I have a scenario for you emoji23.png. Pop quiz. Let’s say I’m in Bangkok carrying my passport at a go go bar or something and I’m hammered drunk with three girls up in my lap grinding on me, meanwhile my wife is sitting across from me getting pissed off throwing beer bottles at me. Then the next morning I wake up face down in an alleyway with a lower back tattoo, I can’t remember anything, and then my passport is missing. Then what? Am I screwed? Not in the literal sense of speaking but because my passport is now missing with my extension stamps in it. What happens if I end up in a situation like that. A Hangover part II kind of situation???

Bingo. I would never carry my original passport for that reason alone. I never drink to the point of passing out, but I do not want to risk losing it. And since I never need it, it makes no sense. Just another of the heavy handed, and arbitrary rules imposed on us here. It is incumbent upon us to defy silly rules and regulations. 

The hospital always accepts a copy every time I go the copy I keep on my iPhone.

That has worked for me up until about a year ago. In the last year even hotels I have stayed at regularly where my wife has done the booking have insisted on seeing my passport before I could go to the room.
It would be up to individuals if they want to take the chance.

Well so far the bus hasn’t even asked me for any ID at all nothing just for my name when I bought the ticket, but I don’t even see my name printed on the ticket or my wife’s name,they didn’t even ask my wife for her Thai ID card, but when we get to the hotel they might ask to see my passport. So far I was right I haven’t needed it yet anyway but I haven’t got to the hotel yet. So we’ll see. Although people are right I do need to start getting back into the habit of carrying my passport on long trips including leisure trips.

Actually speaking of the bus are they usually supposed to print your name on the bus tickets? Because my wife and I do not see our names on the return trip ticket either. We bought round trip tickets for us both just 3 nights we decided. Oh well it doesn’t really matter now we boarded the first bus successfully I’m just curious about that. We go back home in Korat on the 9th.

Bingo. I would never carry my original passport for that reason alone. I never drink to the point of passing out, but I do not want to risk losing it. And since I never need it, it makes no sense. Just another of the heavy handed, and arbitrary rules imposed on us here. It is incumbent upon us to defy silly rules and regulations. 

I drink occasionally but never to the point where I’m not in control of my own actions or passing out either. But I definitely wouldn’t drink and drive even if I only had one beer, I’ve always been scared of driving even if I’ve only had a sip of alcohol. I was in the military for 21 years and a DUI/DWI would have been a career ender no exceptions nowadays. So that’s probably why I just don’t do it ever I don’t care if I’ve only had half a beer. There used to lots of exceptions to that in the military back in the day but not anymore. Back in the 90’s I remember we had Sergeants Major with like 4 DUIs, but those day are gone.

The last time I ever saw a military person get away with getting a DUI was in Washington, D.C. back in 2007 through 2011. Back then I was assigned to a Special Mission Unit our headquarters was based in the Washington, D.C./Maryland area, and in 2007 we had a young E-5 (Sergeant) get a DUI. I thought for sure that he’d at least get sent back to the regular Army which is known as “returned to service” in the Special Mission Units, that’s what happens if you get in trouble in a Special Mission Unit return to service basically it just means you get sent back to a regular unit. Well anyway in 2008 through 2009 I went to Iraq for my 4th combat tour. Then I went back to Washington, D.C. for a few months and went to another school for about 6 weeks and I took some leave. Then in August 2009 I was reassigned to one of our forward deployed Field Detachments in Tokyo, Japan. I used to travel TDY on business all over this area of the world all the time when I was working in Japan. But at least once a year sometimes more often then that I would also have to go TDY on business travel back to our headquarters in Washington, D.C. Well I was on TDY travel to our headquarters in Washington, D.C. from Japan one day in 2011 and I saw that same E-5 still working in the building in Washington, D.C. who had got the DUI back in 2007 which had been 4 years at that point and not only was he still working there he had been promoted to E-7 (Sergeant First Class) by then which was the same rank I was at the time. I was surprised because at the time the Army had zero tolerance for DUIs, but in Special Units like that there’s a lot of things you can get away with IF THE RIGHT PEOPLE LIKE YOU that you would NEVER get away with in the regular Army. That kind of pissed me off a little because that guy wasn’t very bright and most other people would have very quickly been sent back to the regular Army, and I worked hard for my promotions and I was never in trouble.

I've been looking for an Accor Group hotel today and was flicking through and found the following.  I already know this as invariably stay at Accor Group hotels but the policy [law] is the same across all the major international hotels.

Accor.JPG

Seriously does anyone know if they are supposed to print our names on bus tickets? Neither my wife or my name is printed on our bus tickets going there and back. We already boarded the bus for the first trip so it’s not a big deal but I’m just curious.

And the bus station where I live at least didn’t even check anyone’s ID who boarded they just did the ticket thing as if we were just walking into a movie theater lol. I do remember though that they did ask for our names when I bought the tickets but that was it.

Surely they must at least have a passenger manifest in case of an accident right?

13 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

Surely they must at least have a passenger manifest in case of an accident right?

???? If there's amulets hanging from the rearview mirror then there won't be an accident. 

???? If there's amulets hanging from the rearview mirror then there won't be an accident. 

Yeah ha ha, yes I know busses in Thailand have a bad reputation for accidents and there have been issues with drivers not getting enough sleep or using drugs. Please don’t jinx our return trip thanks.

1 minute ago, theboogeyman said:

Yeah ha ha, yes I know busses in Thailand have a bad reputation for accidents and there have been issues with drivers not getting enough sleep or using drugs. 

I'd be more concerned if the driver wasn't on drugs.

1 minute ago, theboogeyman said:

Please don’t jinx our return trip thanks.

You already did that by booking a bus.  

Anyway, there is no passenger manifest and you have your passport 

Archived