Stay up Monday night to see spectacular "Eta Aquarid" meteor shower in Thailand

rooster59

Stay up Monday night to see spectacular "Eta Aquarid" meteor shower in Thailand

ฝนดาวตกอีต้า-อควอริดส์.jpg

Image: INN

INN reported that Thai scientists had advised people wishing to see an annual meteor shower to make plans for the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The meteors are called "Eta Aquarid" and are associated with Halley's Comet. 

Thai scientists said sky watchers could expect to see 40 meteors between the hours of 2 am and dawn on Tuesday 7th May. 

Thaivisa notes that times in other countries may vary.

The following link may help: https://www.space.com/36502-eta-aquarid-meteor-shower-guide.html

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-04

Fantastic ! Thanks for the heads up.

Comets and astroids

Leonids and Perseids , love watching them.

Still remember Hale Bopp and Hyakutake

Anyone else into this?

Aren't the Japanese putting together a system where a meteor shower can be ordered for a time and place of your choice. Pellets ejected into the atmosphere from a satellite in orbit. Different compositions to produce different colours.

OK if you can afford it I suppose.

Back round about the year 2001 I think it was the Leonids I was watching in central west Victoria in Australia.  From about 2 AM until dawn about 5 AM I saw thousands of meteors. This is not an exaggeration. Sometimes 10 or 15 at the same moment. Some huge fireballs and some just tiny spits of light. They were still visible in the dawn when it was quite light.

It was spectacular and just writing about it makes the hair on my neck creep. I'll never forget it.

16 hours ago, donim said:

Fantastic ! Thanks for the heads up.

Comets and astroids

Leonids and Perseids , love watching them.

Still remember Hale Bopp and Hyakutake

Anyone else into this?

I lived in an apartment in BKK in 2000 went up to the helipad one night to watch a meteor shower absolutely awesome, watched some fizzle out between the apartment blocks, and could hear others cheering and applauding on other buildings.

A few months back there were some rocks dropping too. Stayed outside on my back and saw maybe half a dozen in a couple of hours. Not really that impressed, but can at least say been there, seen that. Wake me up when a dinosaur killing asteroid hits.

53 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

A few months back there were some rocks dropping too. Stayed outside on my back and saw maybe half a dozen in a couple of hours. Not really that impressed, but can at least say been there, seen that. Wake me up when a dinosaur killing asteroid hits.

I think you will be woken up and utter the famous last words,  Jeez, what was that bang?

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai scientists said sky watchers could expect to see 40 meteors

Sounds a bit like an astral version of the Grand National .. Is the winner the first to impact this glorious globe .. 

camera charged, check

1600 and 3200iso, check

4sec shutter, check

white balance manual and off, check

focus infinite, check

cola and ice, check

pillow, check

Ok I was ready for the stargazing and pass 1am when the constellation came in view, the sky turned white.

No white from stars, but a fine layer of high level clouds covered the sky.

bed ready for me, check

40768.jpg.3b671336a552ac1334b3aa5a8eaa8e59.jpg40769.jpg.09eef3f90a921724fab9f70b1b4f87f4.jpg40767.jpg.5932186f4489779522e3e7830876486a.jpg

It is not over.

Maybe tonight.

Archived