Best Place to purchase an aircon in Chiang Mai.

kd2000

Whats the best place to get an air condition in Chiang mai or online?

I expect:

1. The biggest selection, especially 9000 UBT range.

2. Best prices.

I have checked home pro so far. Just few units at 9000 BTU. Starting at 16k which is a way more than Lazada.

Big C, a bit better but nothing special.

Perhaps Lazada or other online dtores would be a better way to go.

Apreciate all advices.

Thanks, Jacob

Powerbuy has the largest selection. Many other shops don't have Panasonic air-cond but they do.

I am skeptical about buying online like Lazada, after-sales service might not be good compared to shops.

If online shops are same or better, all the shops would have closed down because of the overhead  of rental etc.

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Powerbuy has the largest selection. Many other shops don't have Panasonic air-cond but they do.

I am not sure about buying online like Lazada, after-sales service might not be good compared to shops

any powerbuy?

Is there one at festival?

Why Panasonic?

Does it have solid documentation / manual in English.

I hate those brands having all info  just in Thai?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

I wouldn't buy Panasonic, at the house which i'm renting all units are completely new Panasonic units and they all make noises because the plastic vibrates. Was no big problem to fix this with some tape, but shows that they are low quality. The cooling is ok.

Globalhouse does usually have good prices.

There have been instances when online purchases at "great prices" are in fact refurbished machines. Then you have the cost and hassle of getting them installed by a qualified person, not some handyman.

In my experience Mitsubishi are excellent & Daikin have a good reputation. Powerbuy, Siam Tv, Homepro, Boonthavorn and Saha Panich etc have similar ranges and prices but will have special deals unique to each of them. So shopping around is worthwhile. Installation and free cleaning for a year were included in the purchase price. Proper maintenance is essential to maintain efficiency and longer life, and I do mean proper not some home made effort with a power washer.

Avoid Panasonic and stick with Mitsubishi, Daikin and Saijo Denki - the 3 brands that supply parts in every Changwat in Thailand. Our guy says he can't remember a time in the last 20 years where he was unable to find parts for these brands within 2-3 hours time. Against his advice a customer purchased a Hitachi as she loved the features. Within the 1st year it developed a major problem. After a dozen calls to Bangkok, he had to wait 10 days for the parts to come in from Malaysia or somewhere. 10 days w/o A/C during hot season is unacceptable.

Avoid Lazada for large appliances. My wife purchased a Mitsubishi A/C from a seller on Lazada. When it arrived there was no paperwork at all, no book, no warranty. Furthermore, the the seller had used a "stock photo" and the unit was not exactly the same as in the photo. The box with the compressor had been dropped and the bottom corner was badly dented. She contacted the seller who did not reply. She had to get Lazada involved who to her huge surprise told her that there was no warranty on the unit even though it was brand new. The seller had a large warehouse full of A/C's that they bought as unclaimed freight or lost lots or something. None of their A/C's had an warranty or any paperwork - hence the price. Lazada could not get any cooperation from the seller either. My wife had to threaten the seller with police involvement to get her money back. She had to haul the A/C over to Nim See Seng (and pay 500 Baht freight) to return it. After a about a week, she got her money back but it cost her a lot of stress and 500 Baht.

Forget the 9k btu units, you will not find any for much longer.

Best place to buy are the small independants. The big stores have added 40% to every unit and the sales people woildnt even know the size of the power cable it needs.

Theres a great little place right opposite the Index, Central Air, we got a 13k LG inverter model installed for 10500bt.

You will not find anywhere to touch that price. A mitsu inverter for 12/14k, same model 22k in Home pro.

Dont order online, same as dont get one from makro, you still need to find an installer who will want a lot more for installing another someone elses model.

Another independant in nong hoi opposite bakermart, these guys know the business inside out and will value your custom more highly.

Keep away from Samsung and Toshiba, Panasonic, like their tvs they are cheap in quality.

Best quality and best reputation are Mitsubishi, Daikin,York.

We wary of the new Thai company that is out to seriously dent the Samsung market, i forget the name but they are simply rebranding the Toshiba brands, hyping the specs but sadly you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Be aware that each new unit comes with a length of external piping   Ie condensation / water outlet. In the case of Mitsubishi Inverters it is normally 4 m . Make sure you get this fitted / provided with the unit. I have heard of 2 cases recently where recently they tried to install units with less than a meter so the sales/installation people could keep the bulk of it.  A friend who should know what he is talking about says they can resell the piping for over a thousand baht a meter hence they try to provide the minimum only. In many cases the lack of outlet pipe affects the working of the AC unit.

Check out Global House for a good selection... More options at the 12K mark... And in the long run you will save electricity with a larger than 9k unit as the compressor cycles on less... I have a few Samsung inverter models and work great!

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Best place to buy are the small independants. The big stores have added 40% to every unit and the sales people woildnt even know the size of the power cable it needs.

Theres a great little place right opposite the Index, Central Air, we got a 13k LG inverter model installed for 10500bt.

You will not find anywhere to touch that price. A mitsu inverter for 12/14k, same model 22k in Home pro.

Dont order online, same as dont get one from makro, you still need to find an installer who will want a lot more for installing another someone elses model.

Another independant in nong hoi opposite bakermart, these guys know the business inside out and will value your custom more highly.

Keep away from Samsung and Toshiba, Panasonic, like their tvs they are cheap in quality.

Best quality and best reputation are Mitsubishi, Daikin,York.

We wary of the new Thai company that is out to seriously dent the Samsung market, i forget the name but they are simply rebranding the Toshiba brands, hyping the specs but sadly you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear.

Yeah the independents or better still installers will often give a great deal.

I've used the place opp Index price v good and installation OK. Dogs a bit noisy.

Their problem is they require 100% payment up front. The first one took a week to arrive but the next time it was many weeks and we were getting a bit twitchy as once you've paid, even if you trust them, yu can't push them or go elsewhere.

May try the one you mention down the Lampoon Rd next time.

In faxt I have also bought at Siam TV their cheapest one not Haier damn cant recall the name.

V good price, looked good, and most important a 5 year guarantee on INTERNAL parts as well as compressor.

With the guarantee I figure you can't go wrong. The Chinese company is huge and spends X% of it's budget on R and D.

If only the brain worked. Just walk in and say the cheapest please.

EDIT: 

No walk in and say 美的

Or better still Midea!

18 hours ago, kd2000 said:

any powerbuy?

Is there one at festival?

Why Panasonic?

Does it have solid documentation / manual in English.

I hate those brands having all info  just in Thai?

Thank you.

There are branches in Central Festival and in its own shop within walking distance to Kad Suan Kaew at north moat.

Just google Powerbuy.

Panasonic and Daikin are both good brands. Daikin supposedly has best quality but it is also expensive.

I bought a Pana inverter model and it has served me well, i.e. it is not noisy and save electricity.

Yes, the manuals are in both Thai and English.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

I wouldn't buy Panasonic, at the house which i'm renting all units are completely new Panasonic units and they all make noises because the plastic vibrates. Was no big problem to fix this with some tape, but shows that they are low quality. The cooling is ok.

I have both Pana and Daikin in different rooms.

Pana is quiet as a mouse while Daikin is noisy.

Maybe you got a refurbished unit .... 

I wished I had bought two units of Pana inverter instead  of listening to the salesman who said Daikin is of higher quality. 

7 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Check out Global House for a good selection... More options at the 12K mark... And in the long run you will save electricity with a larger than 9k unit as the compressor cycles on less... I have a few Samsung inverter models and work great!

Yes, Global house is another good place to buy. Their after-sales service is excellent and they have air-cond installer.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I have both Pana and Daikin in different rooms.

Pana is quiet as a mouse while Daikin is noisy.

Maybe you got a refurbished unit .... 

I wished I had bought two units of Pana inverter instead  of listening to the salesman who said Daikin is of higher quality. 

Daikin is high-quality.

Everyone has their own opinion, but like Siam TV in Chiangmai. Have purchase two Mitsubishi inverter, and one Sharp Washing machine. Excellent free installation service in new home in Sansai.

One thing about Samsung is there service center is right on the moat, and after the local installers don't put it in right, they will make good on it.  None of them will do a three wire installation.. but that should be the least of your worries if you are standing in a two wire hot shower. 

10 hours ago, moontang said:

One thing about Samsung is there service center is right on the moat, and after the local installers don't put it in right, they will make good on it.  None of them will do a three wire installation.. but that should be the least of your worries if you are standing in a two wire hot shower. 

Does that Samsung service center repair Samsung TV as well? Which part of the  moat is it (N, S, W, E)?

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Does that Samsung service center repair Samsung TV as well? Which part of the  moat is it (N, S, W, E)?

They repair all Samsung products. But for TV's, it is best to call because they will come pick it up and deliver it after the repair. The driver will already know if the TV is covered by warranty or not.

If you want to deliver it yourself, then the Promenada location is much easier to park and unload. Sometimes it is impossible to find parking at the city location.

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Does nobody else use Siam Plaza next to the Chinese Embassy near Chiang Mai Gate.

They had a large choice and decent prices last time I was there.

Mine was delivered and installed within 3 days of purchase.

Very very surprised to see you paying through the nose for something.

Losing your touch Britman. +40%  

On 5/5/2019 at 9:29 AM, eyecatcher said:

Are you sure? There is more than 20 units at power buy.

My room is 15 m2. 

I thought 12BTU would overconsume the power. 

Whats more research says it is the SEER rating responsible for economics. 

1 hour ago, kd2000 said:

Are you sure? There is more than 20 units at power buy.

My room is 15 m2. 

I thought 12BTU would overconsume the power. 

Whats more research says it is the SEER rating responsible for economics. 

I promise you 9k will be obsolete the day after you buy.

for 15m2 you need a 12k anyway.

If you compare manufacturers, some will say their 12k does floor area 14-16m2. Mitsu may say theirs is good for 16-18m2 so be careful, power usage is very often highest on the cheaper brands.

We have an LG13k in our guest room only and its only been used a few times in 18months.

However we had a guest for all April and the aircon was on prwtty much 12/13hrs every night.

My electric bill increased by 150bt, so my inverter is costing only 5bt a night.

So its a no brainer thinking you are saving money with a smaller unit

5 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Very very surprised to see you paying through the nose for something.

Losing your touch Britman. +40%  

Cost me around 10k installed five years back (12k Samsung non-inverter) , the current prices shown in the brochure are frightening.

1 hour ago, eyecatcher said:

I promise you 9k will be obsolete the day after you buy.

for 15m2 you need a 12k anyway.

It also depends on things like how much sun does the walls of the room get, is the room on the first or second floor (directly under the roof or not), how good is the roof insulated etc.

I have a 12k BTU unit in an about 24sqm room in the second floor in a house with two floors, and it gets the job done. If i didn't run it all day and turn it on at 2pm with the current outside temperatures it might take 30 minutes before the room is cool (usually i'm setting it to 25 or 26 degrees), but it gets the job done. In cooler months, or if the room were on the ground floor it would even be less of a problem. So 9k BTU for a 15sqm room are most likely sufficient.

Does a bigger aircon even use less energy?

Let's say we had an aircon which would exactly reach the desired temperature if it's running at 100% all the time.

Would an aircon which provides double the BTU und thus would only run 50% of the time, really consume less than 50% energy? Somehow i doubt it.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:29 AM, jackdd said:

I looked at Panasonic in Global the other day, the one I was interested in was 10k cheaper than Home Pro.  500B to remove old unit, 1700B to fit new one.   There is also the stores out of town like Do-Home, part of Ubon Watsadu that have a selection of aircons and purifiers.

Archived