Typical dual pricing jerks

skippybangkok

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Western Prices posted in English: Child 300 baht / Adult 500 baht

Thai Prices posted in Thai: Child 150 chat / Adult 250 baht

Whenever I see Thai numbers in Thai Script instead of the actual numbers its because of something like this to try and hide double pricing. 

Try with your Thai Driving License.

Double pricing like this is in poor taste - Its a long ongoing debate, especially regarding parks etc.

It is in face illegal for a private enterprise to use dual pricing policies in Thailand - but that doesn't stop the greed. 

This is the filter down from the double pricing policies in parks etc... the government telling the population its ok to charge foreigners more for the same thing. 

And before people say its on a few $... its not about the money, and if you can't get that, you never will.

Whenever I see Thai numbers in Thai Script instead of the actual numbers its because of something like this to try and hide double pricing. 

Double pricing like this is in poor taste - Its a long ongoing debate, especially regarding parks etc.
It is in face illegal for a private enterprise to use dual pricing policies in Thailand - but that doesn't stop the greed. 

This is the filter down from the double pricing policies in parks etc... the government telling the population its ok to charge foreigners more for the same thing. 

And before people say its on a few $... its not about the money, and if you can't get that, you never will.

I have Thai ID already .... love to watch their sour faces like they have just eaten a lime when they have to issue me a Thai ticket..... really hard for them to swollow

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

I have Thai ID already .... love to watch their sour faces like they have just eaten a lime when they have to issue me a Thai ticket..... really hard for them to swollow

If you can get it with a Thai Driving license etc the dual pricing is less offensive and its not based on nationality and undertones of xenophobia, it would just be targeting tourists which I think is more widely acceptable.

If you can get it with a Thai Driving license etc the dual pricing is less offensive and its not based on nationality and undertones of xenophobia, it would just be targeting tourists which I think is more widely acceptable.

I have been to places who refuse Thai licenses - insults the shit out of the smart ass cashiers

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This would stop overnight if the western governments gave travelling Thai elites a dose of their own medicine but anyone with half a brain should realize by now that their governments don't represent their interests anymore. 

Just now, losworld said:

This would stop overnight if the western governments gave travelling Thai elites a dose of their own medicine but anyone with half a brain should realize by now that their governments don't represent their interests anymore. 

I thought that was the point - Western governments don't do it to show their moral superiority

3 minutes ago, losworld said:

'A dose of their own medicine' ??? What medicine is that?

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you don't like it, don't go.   Most Thai 'attractions' are not even worth the Thai price. let alone anything more. 

Has anyone actually ever seen any pay attraction here that was worth the entrance fee? I dont think I have which is why I never go to them.

i don't see the problem.  odds are the farang does have more disposable income.  don't you want to help Thailand???  Don't you feel bad they are poor?  Don't you appreciate the capitalism?  Don't you feel you were born into a better place with more options and more money?

200 baht.....  i've given away thousands for nothing in return.   maybe 15,000.   is it a lot?  no.  ok, there you go.

1 minute ago, XenZen said:

i don't see the problem.  odds are the farang does have more disposable income.  don't you want to help Thailand???  Don't you feel bad they are poor?  Don't you appreciate the capitalism?  Don't you feel you were born into a better place with more options and more money?

200 baht.....  i've given away thousands for nothing in return.   maybe 15,000.   is it a lot?  no.  ok, there you go.

Your joking. You have any idea how many poor pensioners here barley existing month to month

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Has anyone actually ever seen any pay attraction here that was worth the entrance fee? I dont think I have which is why I never go to them.

Yes, nong nooch was a good visit, kids loved it, free for them and 200 for adults. Good value as it was well presented and well organised. (IMHO)

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your joking. You have any idea how many poor pensioners here barley existing month to month

Haha, that made me chuckle.  What the hell are they doing in Thailand, its not exactly Blackpool now is it? This place is not for poor farangs, 

14 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Its not only attractions How about hospital double pricing?

My friend had to negotiate his open heart operation on the operation table with his surgeon before he would start.

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Haha, that made me chuckle.  What the hell are they doing in Thailand, its not exactly Blackpool now is it? This place is not for poor farangs, 

You ever tried being poor in Blackpool?

Being poor in Chiang Mai is way more fun ......... and a lot warmer.

9 minutes ago, XenZen said:

don't you want to help Thailand???  Don't you feel bad they are poor?  Don't you appreciate the capitalism?  Don't you feel you were born into a better place with more options and more money?

No.

There are plenty of extremely wealthy Thais - much richer than I am - who could help the poor ones if they wanted, but apparently they dont want to. I dont think it is any of my business how they screw each other over as I'm just passing through (albeit slowly).

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Yes, nong nooch was a good visit, kids loved it, free for them and 200 for adults. Good value as it was well presented and well organised. (IMHO)

The comment from my Thai family about Nong Nooch was that it wasn't a garden and the animals were all concrete. What put me right off was the poor birds locked in dirty, small cages at the main entrance, disgraceful but hardly unusual in Thailand. Add the thousands rude and incredibly noisy Chinese tour visitors and its never again for me.  

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You ever tried being poor in Blackpool?

Being poor in Chiang Mai is way more fun ......... and a lot warmer.

Okay, that I agree with. Being poor anywhere sucks I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its not only attractions How about hospital double pricing?

My friend had to negotiate his open heart operation on the operation table with his surgeon before he would start.

I dont mind the hospitals too much as at least you can negotiate with them, unlike the parks and other attractions. The private hospitals I use dont seem to charge me extra for not being Thai, or if they do they do it so well that I dont notice.

1 minute ago, KittenKong said:

I dont mind the hospitals too much as at least you can negotiate with them, unlike the parks and other attractions. The private hospitals I use dont seem to charge me extra for not being Thai, or if they do they do it so well that I dont notice.

since when has a Thai hospital been an 'attraction'? 

23 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Entry to the Palaces, gardens, temple ruins, and some natural attractions

23 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The bottle museum on Sukhumvit? some amazing bottles in there - all shapes and sizes ???? 

20190327_111110.thumb.jpg.83dbbffc3965aa7368fe6f70c48b7be9.jpg

17 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The comment from my Thai family about Nong Nooch was that it wasn't a garden and the animals were all concrete. What put me right off was the poor birds locked in dirty, small cages at the main entrance, disgraceful but hardly unusual in Thailand. Add the thousands rude and incredibly noisy Chinese tour visitors and its never again for me.  

You expect the Dinosaurs to be real ? ???? I saw beautiful landscaped gardens.(see pic)

Guess we had different experience. ????

8 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I saw their garden displays at Chelsea when they still exhibited there. They were good.

I would visit their gardens here if they didnt have animals. I refuse point blank to frequent any sort of animal attraction in Thailand, regardless of the price. About the only exception would be one of the proper elephant sanctuaries that does not put on "shows".

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

since when has a Thai hospital been an 'attraction'? 

If you need treatment it is very much an "attraction"" an obscure one, but an attraction non the less

Archived