Welding Nubee

LukKrueng

Before you start to weld any material make sure you have a good connection with the work clamp. Also keep yourself safe and secure. Use proper safety equipment to make yourself self and secure. Must have knowledge about different welding processes. 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/6/2019 at 9:31 AM, LukKrueng said:

I ordered an auto darkening helmet a few days ago. Hope to get it soon. I'm sure it will make things easier having both hands free and as you mention - having a better chance to weld where I want to as I too find many times it goes in the wrong place...

Today I have practiced a couple of hours and managed to get some beads done (not very long yet). At the moment I get beads only around half way through the rode. probably because my left hand is not free to support my right hand while welding

it would seem as normal your post was lost in a sea of egotist comments.

i am going to assume that your auto helmet has arrived. if you look a the specs there will be a 1.1.2.1, if you buy anothar make sure it is 1.1.1.1. i have both and the helmet with out the 2 is far superior. (lens grading)

buy some plate steel 1/4 thick, squares from your local diy shop.

practice running beads along the length until you fill it up. turn over start again. keep running beads and tweaking your setting/Connections until you get a decent bead.

there are plenty of different types of rods available in thailand. 6013 are General purpose and suit you needs.

hope all is going well

Shameus

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

A little late now, but for anyone buying a auto-dark helmet, make sure you can get replacement parts for it (particularly lenses) before you buy it.

in my experience, they are made from generic parts. Generally all available on Aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190728213531&SearchText=welding+helmet+spares&_csrf=19y3a75ack_5q&switch_new_app=y

plenty on Lazada also

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I was searching for a MMA 400 welder and it just popped up completely at random.

Can't find it by using logic, the Lazada search engine is a bit random.

That's been my experience as well, I just thought you may have some magic ninja searching skills. ???? 

Anyway I ordered a pack this morning, so thanks again.

On 8/4/2019 at 3:55 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

That's been my experience as well, I just thought you may have some magic ninja searching skills. ???? 

Anyway I ordered a pack this morning, so thanks again.

better off using google to site search lazada. they use the same engine as Alibaba, but i think it comes down to the categories and how the items are logged. i would assume a bit of thai logic, and not so much English. Sometimes good to search in thai.

Drives me crazy some times

Depends on the size of your machine, as well as what and how long you’re welding. 30 is ~#2 which is pretty light.

Assembling a good quality extension cord so the you can move the power supply around would cheaper and more useful.

39 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Depends on the size of your machine, as well as what and how long you’re welding. 30 is ~#2 which is pretty light.

Assembling a good quality extension cord so the you can move the power supply around would cheaper and more useful.

Kanto Inverter Welding Cabinet 400 Amp Model KT-IGBT-401 - MMA / IGBT Welding Machine Welding Machine

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i294508712-s495114617.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

That's my machine. It came with 1.3m (-) cable and 1.8m (+) cable.

That was my first project so due to the length and height I had to put the machine on a ladder and move it from point to pint because the cables are too short. a 15m extension allowed me to move the machine around but long +/- cables would have made it much easier to work...

The question about the cables is about the type of cables. I see most welders use a black cable that is about as thick outside as the 1 in my pic but without the white isolation inside which means more wires inside, but I can't find that type of cable anywhere, and I asked a constructor friend of mine to find and he couldn't as well...

20190806_093924.jpg

Archived