Brake failure: Thirty eight tourists injured as tram crashes at Chiang Mai Night Safari

webfact

Brake failure: Thirty eight tourists injured as tram crashes at Chiang Mai Night Safari

5pm_VI.jpg

Caption: Tram brake failure at Chiang Mai Night Safari

Officials at Chiang Mai Night Safari have been quick to play down an incident when two trams collided on Saturday night. 

Thirty eight people were injured. Five needed to be kept in hospital for observation. 

The facility - in Mae Hia sub-district of the northern Thai city - said that reports on social media that a tram had overturned were untrue. 

But they admitted that a tram had suffered failure of its braking mechanism. It had just traversed the "Predator Zone" and was going down a hill when the brakes failed. 

It collided with a parked tram at the boarding and staging post.

Executive Anucha Damrongmanee said that the park had helped the injured get to hospital and was mounting a full investigation. 

He said that trams were checked on a daily basis at the park. 

Park staff plan to visit the injured still in hospital today. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-06

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that trams were checked on a daily basis at the park. 

maybe they should check the driver on a daily basis to...?  To me, this just looks like another bus driver who claims the brakes failed...

17 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

checked for what? they are still trams?

Next we will hear the one doing the checking checked out the day before so that very day no check hence brake failure . Or , or perhaps a foreigner was responsible for checking.

38 minutes ago, webfact said:

Officials at Chiang Mai Night Safari have been quick to play down an incident when two trams collided on Saturday night.

Was this because Chinese tourists were involved in the accident?

This is just another example of Thailands lack of safety standards.  I often wonder who on earth designed Thailands highway system.  It is almost like these people wanted the highways to be dangerous to create a challenge for those brave enough to drive over here.  ???? 

58 minutes ago, webfact said:

But they admitted that a tram had suffered failure of its braking mechanism. It had just traversed the "Predator Zone" and was going down a hill when the brakes failed. 

My guess is the crafty predators are probably to blame. They can be quite stealthy when stalking their human prey. And lets be honest, its easy to blame a bunch of big cats than those in charge of maintaining the trams.

A bus not a tram....

an example of not understanding the word but applying it to their situation b/c it’s a term the west uses for their entertainment establishments.... 

and be of course they want to be like the west w/o knowledge or situational understanding....

you call that an ambulance?

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Didn't they have an incident similar to this a couple years back ??

Pretty sure someone was either killed or seriously injured !!

yeah this makes me recall something similar was it the same place?  if so nothing concrete was ever done... gee what a surprise

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

My guess is the crafty predators are probably to blame. They can be quite stealthy when stalking their human prey. And lets be honest, its easy to blame a bunch of big cats than those in charge of maintaining the trams.

And foreign too. 

I have been on these buses many times, they travel at walking speed. You got it?

So how do you crash one?

The lions drank the brakes hydrolic fluid ???

The mind boggles at the posibilities, Driver maybe was asleep or brian dead behind the wheel.

I would assume that the Night Safari has improved since I visited many moons ago. I recall my young son saying "Dad I don't see any animals?' ... " Eh ... It's night time son they are probably asleep?"

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Didn't they have an incident similar to this a couple years back ??

Pretty sure someone was either killed or seriously injured !!

Exactly, but not in this park;

it was in Khon Kaen zoo with many people died .

Quite amazing how many accidents in Thailand are attributed to brake failure.

Perhaps the Thais have studied under Ettore Bugatti. When taxed by a customer about the poor braking of his purchase, he retorted " My cars are made to go, not stop".

One thing usually taught when learning to drive is that you can slow down by changing down your gears. All heavy vehicles I drive even have syncramesh in first gear which will slow you to 5kph. But then its easier to blame the breaks.

Archived