How long to obtain Elite - start to finish?

On 5/6/2019 at 8:48 PM, LongTang said:

I agree, I'm sure It feels like 'its now or never' for many who still find this place close to their hearts.

I bet they are seeing a sharp increase in the amount of applications now, but I'm afraid that a sharp drop will follow as the word about the ever tightening rules and regulations spread to other potential tourists...

No spread of rules and regulations for tourists..quite the opposite with more countries being granted VOA status. Its easier than ever now to visit Thailand as a tourist. 

On 5/27/2019 at 5:00 PM, ukrules said:

The reason they aren't doing this is because it is not possible for almost every country in the world, they simply won't hand over sensitive information like this to a foreign government.

This is also why we need to jump through hoops to get the so called 'police clearance certificates' from our home countries  - because there is no routine way for the Thais to check someones background with a foreign government.

There might be some way that they can do this if they are abusing some diplomatic process.

As far as I'm aware only the US/Canada share conviction information exclusively with each other (nobody else) and this is why people with minor convictions from either of those countries are effectively banned from entering the other country - for life.

What about expungement and the rehabilitation of offenders legislation. 

22 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

But as the retirement option requires 800k ....1 mil seems reasonable. 

If I understand this correctly,

800K is in your bank account and is yours if you decide to leave Thailand or you no longer desire a retirement extension, where the 1 mil paid for an elite visa is gone never to be seen again.

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

If I understand this correctly,

800K is in your bank account and is yours if you decide to leave Thailand or you no longer desire a retirement extension, where the 1 mil paid for an elite visa is gone never to be seen again.

Exactly. That makes a big difference.