Can have HIV/AIDS from nail salon?

rnalswls2

Hi, 

I usually have my nails done at the salon located in BTS and they never clean the tools before begin. Is there a chance to get mild infection or serious one like HIV/AIDS? 

Have you heard any cases in Thailand before? 

6 minutes ago, rnalswls2 said:

Does anyone know a salon where follows the correct procedure in Bangkok? Like where keep the tools clean and technician wears gloves etc?  

If in doubt cut your own nails.  My wife does mine as well as other everyday indignities.  

A lot of people don't really understand HIV. For example, if you have unprotected sex with an confirmed HIV-positive woman, your chances of contracting HIV are around 0.1-0.5% per encounter, and a fraction of that if she is on anti-retroviral medication. A lot of people seem to think that having sex once with someone who has HIV will mean that they will contract it.

So even if the nail salon dips their tools in a solution of HIV prior to dealing with you, unless they break the skin, you chances of contracting HIV are roughly 0.00000001%. HIV cannot penetrate the skin.

You're more likely to be hit by a UFO piloted by Elvis, whilst simultaneously being struck by lightning whilst finding a four-leaf clover.

Of course, that all changes if they cut the skin or draw blood.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

If I were you,  I would worry more about my mental health.

I always wear a condom , when i have a manicure , one can not be too careful .

56 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

If in doubt cut your own nails.  My wife does mine as well as other everyday indignities.  

My sister in law , does everything for me , 

1 hour ago, rnalswls2 said:

Thanks wow - it looks more serious than I thought. 

Does anyone know a salon where follows the correct procedure in Bangkok? Like where keep the tools clean and technician wears gloves etc?  

Have soi six,   toe nail saloon . 

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

For example, if you have unprotected sex with an confirmed HIV-positive woman, your chances of contracting HIV are around 0.1-0.5% per encounter,

that is exactly what I tell myself every time I go to Soi 6 in Pattaya.

"0.1-0.5% per encounter, you are good." next. :clap2:  "OK you are not going to die." next. :shock1: "0.1-0.5% per encounter, that's what they said." :cheesy:

There has not been a single known case of HIV being transmitted in this way. The virus does not live long outside the body. The implements would have to be dripping with fresh blood and then cut you fairly deeply.

However you can contract both Hepatitis B and C this way, those viruses are more easily transmitted.

Not to mention bacterial and fungal infections.

You should not patronize nail salons that you believe use dirty implements.

Yeah, when I said it was possible I was referring to a wide range of potential infections (including fungal) in general. I wasn't suggesting that the risk of HIV transmission from salon tools was high. But it is theoretically possible in the sense that it's potentially a blood to blood situation when there are cuts, and sometimes in these situations there are cuts. Sheryl makes a good point though about the fragility of the virus outside the body so it would be need to be a very fast moving, very dirty, cut prone salon for it to happen. But people really should be concerned about hygiene in salons as other infections are much easier to transmit.

A bit tangential, but I used to get pedicures in Thailand and I can directly connect the lack of skill of the salon person I was using with developing ingrown toenails on both of my big toes. I never had that problem before. So I cut my own nails again.

Archived