New Immigration boss "Big Oud" shows his teeth: Orders transfer of Ranong chief after slow service

webfact

New Immigration boss "Big Oud" shows his teeth: Orders transfer of Ranong chief after slow service

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang has made his first decisive move as the new immigration chief. 

He has ordered the transfer to clerical duties of the chief of Ranong immigration.

Pol Col Weerayot Karunyathorn was relieved of his post following complaints from Myanmar authorities after delays at the Andaman checkpoint back on February 7th during the TBC meeting, reported Daily News. 

He will be replaced by Pol Col Phairat Phukcharoen with an investigative committee set up to look into the goings on at the checkpoint in Thailand's south. 

Yesterday Lt-Gen Sompong spoke about the high expectations of his staff at border checkpoints  throughout the kingdom saying that they were windows to the outside world.

He demands good service from his officers with advance planning to cater for special occasions and public holidays both in Thailand and in neighboring countries when traffic may be heavier than normal. 

His statement appeared to be what led Daily News to speculate that the transfer to clerical duties was as a result of poor and slow service. 

Lt-Gen Sompong also spoke of the need for good service at airports citing delays during a storm at Don Muang airport on 25th April as another occasion when expectations were not met. 

Sompong replaced Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn after the latter was demoted to an adviser role in the PM's office last month. 

Sompong is known as Big Oud  though he was referred to as "The Oud" by Daily News today. 

Oud refers to the Thai word for the sound of a pig or "oink".  

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-07

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably working slowly trying to deal with new rules and regulations that are interpreted differently by different offices, perhaps he could get all offices to work from the same page.

And then I woke up!

44 minutes ago, smedly said:

send them on a secondment to an office that provides a good speedy service or a swap - and reward the heads and staff of efficient offices with a bonus

Well yes but that what should be happening is that they are doing their jobs correctly and professionally as they are pid to you as per their contract of employment.  

In Industry I had to move a Thai manager to another location because he was continuously giving cash and other benefits to 90% of the staff under his leadership, just for doing their jobs, and it had got to the point where several of his reporting staff wee negotiating with him 'I don't think I can do that but for an extra 10,000 this month I can' and he would instantly agree. And more.

This scenario had become 'SOP', and the next manager had a very big battle to stop this and get people to do the work they were expected to do by their agreed contracts. 

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Then the imm. lady's attitude change to dragon lady for each of the Thai students, she was simply insulting and racist. 

Might have something to do with a couple of decades of Thai massages popping up in every hamlet. I doubt they've got green cards. A bit of a case of somnamnaa.

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well yes but that what should be happening is that they are doing their jobs correctly and professionally as they are pid to you as per their contract of employment.  

In Industry I had to move a Thai manager to another location because he was continuously giving cash and other benefits to 90% of the staff under his leadership, just for doing their jobs, and it had got to the point where several of his reporting staff wee negotiating with him 'I don't think I can do that but for an extra 10,000 this month I can' and he would instantly agree. And more.

This scenario had become 'SOP', and the next manager had a very big battle to stop this and get people to do the work they were expected to do by their agreed contracts. 

indeed, rewards must be given for exceptional work - hitting targets etc

3 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

Older generations often named their children things like rat or pig so the bad spirits did not want them. A form of superstitious protection.

I always assumed it was a form of irony - calling the skinny kid "pig". After all "pig" does not have nearly as many negative connotations in Thai culture as it does in ours

5 hours ago, shady86 said:

Can I complain for slow service at CW?

I'm sure you can,but will it make any differnce. Their in a set way although I've never had any complaint the times I've been their.

57 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Might have something to do with a couple of decades of Thai massages popping up in every hamlet. I doubt they've got green cards. A bit of a case of somnamnaa.

Could be true but that's no reason to insult a well dressed well groomed late twenties young lady who has put her passport with visa and her invitation letter from the Uni. of Texa on the counter, and is answering whatever questions politely and in very advanced English.

Now here we go with the usual 'but often they learn good English working in bars.'

I very much doubt this transfer has anything much to do with the reported reasons. Much more likely to do with who belongs to which patronage network and income streams related to them. Of course this cannot and will not be reported.

I am much more interested in the cryptic comment, "Yesterday Lt-Gen Sompong spoke about the high expectations of his staff at border checkpoints  throughout the kingdom saying that they were windows to the outside world," and what this may or may not mean in terms of any changes to the way some of the land border checkpoints operate. I prefer not to be a guinea pig.

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Could be true but that's no reason to insult a well dressed well groomed late twenties young lady who has put her passport with visa and her invitation letter from the Uni. of Texa on the counter, and is answering whatever questions politely and in very advanced English.

Now here we go with the usual 'but often they learn good English working in bars.'

Mostly they learn understandable english in the bars.

I disagree with the statement 

'my girlfriend/wife speaks perfect english'. Same as 'my mate speaks perfect Thai'.

Neither case actually exits.

i go every three months to Laos, i never have any complaint about the custom officers at Nong Kai, they are friendly and profesional. I am glad i am updated now that i was completely wrong and that its a big mess at immigration. lol.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Pol Col Weerayot Karunyathorn was relieved of his post following complaints from Myanmar authorities after delays at the Andaman checkpoint back on February 7th during the TBC meeting, reported Daily News. 

I don't know what the TBC meeting is (assuming it's not To Be Confirmed) but if it invlolved bigwigs from neighbouring countries then that would be a good reason; can't have important people being ionconvenienced as that could put Thailand in a bad light.

3 hours ago, Bert Jones said:

Friends and I have actually opted for other destinations rather than go through the hell that is US immigration...very long Q's and very rude abrupt and at times aggressive staff. Infact, I will never go to the US again, my experiences have been that bad...and I've been around 12 times - mainly for work...and route 66 twice.

You and me both.

The unbelievable song and dance in Boston because I had a 1/2" nail clipper on my keyring. "Sir, you are carrying a weapon....'

4 hours ago, Bert Jones said:

Friends and I have actually opted for other destinations rather than go through the hell that is US immigration...very long Q's and very rude abrupt and at times aggressive staff. Infact, I will never go to the US again, my experiences have been that bad...and I've been around 12 times - mainly for work...and route 66 twice.

Archived