New Immigration boss "Big Oud" shows his teeth: Orders transfer of Ranong chief after slow service

webfact

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bert Jones said:

Friends and I have actually opted for other destinations rather than go through the hell that is US immigration...very long Q's and very rude abrupt and at times aggressive staff. Infact, I will never go to the US again, my experiences have been that bad...and I've been around 12 times - mainly for work...and route 66 twice.

Sorry for the trouble you had in USA. The worst immigration in my opinion is Heathrow and all England airports by a large margin based on frequent trips to England. I absolutely hate flying into Heathrow and would fire the entire crew from top to bottom if you could find anyone at their desks. They all line up and lean against the back wall and BS, laugh and do nothing. Disgrace. 

If you travel to the US that much you ought to be savvy enough to get a Global Entry card. That would eliminate a lot of your supposed woes. There are rude folks everywhere—sorry you’re writing off the US for a petty inconvenience caused by a few grumpy agents or are you just a Yank hater? Anyway, what has this got to do with Thai immigration?

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Hope he sorts out the service on Koh Samui as yet we cannot do 90 day online reporting when other IMO have been offering that service for several years.

Must be a long haul to your local office I guess?

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Been there done that, took some Thai MBA students to an international business competition at the Uni., of Texas at Austin. I don't need a visa in advance but I had completed the on-line registration in advance, all my students mid to late twenties, all had travelled before had correct visas issued by the US embassy in Bkk. On deplanning I went first at the passport desk, all very pleasant in fact over pleasant praising me for 'being a good boy' for doing the on-line registration in advance (60+ year old boy). Then the imm. lady's attitude change to dragon lady for each of the Thai students, she was simply insulting and racist. 

Just like the Chump then, President of all insults and still can't find a barber.

4 hours ago, Bert Jones said:

Friends and I have actually opted for other destinations rather than go through the hell that is US immigration...very long Q's and very rude abrupt and at times aggressive staff. Infact, I will never go to the US again, my experiences have been that bad...and I've been around 12 times - mainly for work...and route 66 twice.

Totally agree, worst immigration I have ever seen, very rude and abrupt and I was only in transit to Central America yet as they don't do transit passengers had to pass through the most rude airport (NY) immigration ever I have never had that problem with Thai's. 

See I knew they would come up with something else to write about ever since the mysterious disappearance of Surachate.  Is he still “sneaking into work” by the way without actually being seen by anyone?  Has anyone actually laid eyes on him since he supposedly began the art of “sneaking into work” like a ninja or something?  Nope.  

Anyway I hope it’s true that the new immigration chief has high expectations for good service that’s positive sounding at least.  I can’t complain my immigration office offers great service.  Surachate also expected good service as well even after changing the income verification procedures.  And I did notice after Surachate took over my local immigration office seemed to be trying extra hard to work faster than usual but I don’t know my immigration office is always good.  I have no idea about other immigration offices.  Although I have been to the immigration office in Bangkok before though and I have no complaints about them either, immigration in Bangkok is just a much bigger building and extremely busy every day.  My local immigration office in Korat is small and there’s rarely more than 20 people in the room at a time maximum and you rarely wait longer than 10 minutes.  I feel very lucky to live in Korat.    Korat immigration is awesome.  

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

they must all be going together into a pig pen, as his name's "Oud".

And not to forget the vaccination against pig flu ...

Firing the top guy to make an example, and/or as an indirect means to motivate the rank and file, while sometimes necessary, is often the signature move of piss poor leader and manager.

Seems to have become the "go to" solution of first instance in the last 10 to 15 years, not just Thailand.  Immediate calls for resignation upon accusation, before investigation or hearing.  Or the media harangues the person's boss until he/she finally relents and sacks the person just to make it go away.

Doesn't seem to accomplish anything meaningful in the long term though.  Never mind, keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Sorry for the trouble you had in USA. The worst immigration in my opinion is Heathrow and all England airports by a large margin based on frequent trips to England. I absolutely hate flying into Heathrow and would fire the entire crew from top to bottom if you could find anyone at their desks. They all line up and lean against the back wall and BS, laugh and do nothing. Disgrace. 

Strangely I find Heathrow a breeze with all the auto gates and very few IO's in evidence.

29 minutes ago, theboogeyman said:

See I knew they would come up with something else to write about ever since the mysterious disappearance of Surachate.  Is he still “sneaking into work” by the way without actually being seen by anyone?  Has anyone actually laid eyes on him since he supposedly began the art of “sneaking into work” like a ninja or something?  Nope.  

Anyway I hope it’s true that the new immigration chief has high expectations for good service that’s positive sounding at least.  I can’t complain my immigration office offers great service.  Surachate also expected good service as well even after changing the income verification procedures.  And I did notice after Surachate took over my local immigration office seemed to be trying extra hard to work faster than usual but I don’t know my immigration office is always good.  I have no idea about other immigration offices.  Although I have been to the immigration office in Bangkok before though and I have no complaints about them either, immigration in Bangkok is just a much bigger building and extremely busy every day.  My local immigration office in Korat is small and there’s rarely more than 20 people in the room at a time maximum and you rarely wait longer than 10 minutes.  I feel very lucky to live in Korat.    Korat immigration is awesome.  

I agree. 90 day is less than ten minutes, my extension last year was 50 minutes out the door all handled. And the lady officer kindly pointed out the date for 2019 extension and the date for next 90 day. Was there a week ago for re-entry permit and five girls helping everybody fill out their paperwork. Very nice.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Sompong is known as Big Oud  though he was referred to as "The Oud" by Daily News today. 

Oud refers to the Thai word for the sound of a pig or "oink".  

I THINK THIS ... IN THE OP..... SAYS IT ALL.......... Now Thai immigrations is 'Headed' by the Big Oink-Oink...... LOL.....

Immigration is slow and laborious at most airports. Thailand is no different. 

I have waited the same amount of time in the U.S.A, England, Australia and Bali to name a few.

I am sure most travellers have experienced the same.

I agree. 90 day is less than ten minutes, my extension last year was 50 minutes out the door all handled. And the lady officer kindly pointed out the date for 2019 extension and the date for next 90 day. Was there a week ago for re-entry permit and five girls helping everybody fill out their paperwork. Very nice.

Yes they sure are nice and they did the same for me as well. The lady kindly pointed out to me that my extension expires in February 2020 and told me to be sure and return to immigration in about January 2020 for my next extension and she also made sure I was aware of my next report date which is next month actually. Very nice. She knows I’ll be renewing my extension next year because they can see in my passport that I’ve been living here for going on 5 years now and she actually said “come back in January 2020 for next extension BEFORE it expires in February 2020”. Very good service.

I only saw one of the ladies at Korat immigration get mad at a foreigner one time. Last time I was there getting my stamp for the year one of the supervisors was raising her voice a little bit to a European guy and she kept repeating “overstay” to him. I guess it was only a day or two overstay for him so she even still helped the man because I guess he just wasn’t familiar with their rules. I saw the guy ended up leaving with a smile on his face so it couldn’t have been that bad for him. That was one of their busy days at Korat immigration there was like 15 whole people in the waiting room lol. Although when they get more than 10 people at a time it probably really is busy for them because they are a much smaller immigration office with a much smaller staff. But yes they are very nice and courteous and helpful. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in Thailand. I don’t want to advertise it to much because I think Korat is one of the better kept secrets in Thailand not as many foreigners here so immigration is less busy and nicer as a result. I would hate to see Korat grow into another Bangkok or Chiangmai I like it just the way it is. I’m sure a lot of the smaller cities like Korat in the north east Division 4 area are probably about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Probably working slowly trying to deal with new rules and regulations that are interpreted differently by different offices, perhaps he could get all offices to work from the same page.

And then I woke up!

"perhaps he could get all offices to work from the same page."

That is probably one of the most frustrating things about Immigration as far as tourists/ex pats are concerned.

Surely it can not be too difficult to set out a list of Rules & Regs that should apply to ALL Immigration Offices? Oh, sorry there is one! I should have said to get all Immigration Offices to apply the existing Rules & Regs in the same way! Or perhaps set them out in such a way that there is less room for I.O.s to apply their own interpretation? As an example, I am thinking specifically about the old chestnut "Proof of Income" for extension of stay Instead of "Chief of Pattaya Immigration says ......." or "Chief of Phuket Immigration says ........." lets have "Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang, the new Chief of Immigration says ..........."

54 minutes ago, Mansell said:

Exactly as it should be! It's just unfortunate that as another poster has pointed out, all I.O.'s don't all "sing from the same hymn book"!

At the moment, one has to do one's 90 day stamp at the same I.O. that issued you the extension.(Or I believe in some cases it can be done online) In my case, this is not a problem, but the annual extension itself is a nightmare, and takes at least 2 visits. It would be wonderful if you were able to do your annual extension at a more "farang friendly" I.O. (such as yours) and then do your 90 day report at your nearest I.O.!

Years ago, I was forced to deal with American immigration, and I found them to be rude and obnoxious. And I will never forgive them for their Gestapo like questioning of my Thai sister in-law and her young daughter when they flew in from Thailand with expectations of visiting my wife and I when we were then living in California.

Now, that having been said, I did my 90-day reporting today at the immigration office in Rayong and I was in and out in twenty minutes. So right now, the score between Thai and American immigration is heavily in Thailand’s favor.

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Used to be less than that for me at samut prakan, up the stairs to see the one guy doing it, usually nobody there. He would tear the bottom off with a ruler and I'd be out sometimes before the Mrs had parked the car. Now it's computerized it takes longer- 2 hours last time partly due to the huge numbers of tm30 reporters taking up staff time. You can't blame the officers for the changes.

Archived