BANGKOK 25 June 2019 23:35
WaveHunter

Water Only Fasting...Should you do it / How should you do it.

This is a subject I'm very passionate about, and I know a lot of other people have an interest in it.  There  is so much mis-information and half truths associated with it, especially on YouTube.  Most of it is disingenuous BS designed only for self-serving purposes by so-called "health gurus", so I thought this thread would be a good one to start for the community.

My interest in metabolic sciences started over twenty years ago and it took me a long time to wade through all the mis-information and half-truths, as well as learn the basic underlying sciences which in itself is a daunting task since it is all in flux, and what was true one day becomes outdated the next.

So, I just thought I'd start this thread, not only to share what I know but to exchange information, and also to debate varying points of view.  All that I ask is if you have a point of view to express, you make sure it is science-based.  "He said, she said" anecdotal accounts are NOT science based.  Third-party interpretations by lay people or entertainment celebrities of original research (i.e.: Dr. Oz, Bro-Science forums, etc)  are also misleading sources of facts.  PubMed and scientific journals, textbooks, and books by noted experts researchers are where I get my information, and should be your source as well.

People who just jump into fasting because they saw some silly YouTube video with a click-bait title like, "How I lost 15 pounds in a week on a water fast" or "The results of my 42 day fast" are in for a big disappointment!  Don't do it!  Before you even contemplate doing a fast you should educate yourself in the basic underlying metabolic sciences. 

Understanding the underlying science on a useful level is not really rocket-science, but it is essential to know what's going on in your body while in the fasted state before you actually attempt to fast.  That knowledge acts like a "road map" to your fast.  You would not go on a long road trip in your car to an unfamiliar destination without a road map, and you shouldn't go on a fast without one as well.

I regularly fast (72 hour fast monthly, and 5 day fast once or twice a year) and experience no pain or discomfort (except on day 2, and that happens on every fast like clockwork!). The reason my fasts run smoothly and are effective is very simple. I am "keto-adapted" and I have science-based expectations of what the fast can and can not achieve for me  

What I mean by "keto adapted" that is that I have trained my body and brain to use "ketones" efficiently.  Merely getting into ketosis is not enough.  Your body has to know what  to do with those ketones!  Our ancient ancestors had this ability innately when they had to go long periods of time with no food. Their survival depended on it. Without it, we wouldn’t be here today!   However, In our modern world of supermarkets, refrigerators, and fast foods, we’ve lost the ability to use ketones efficiently because most people now simply graze on food from the time they wake up until the time to go to bed.

So, the body and brain must be re-trained to again be able to use ketones efficiently. The metabolic pathways of fat & carbohydrates metabolism must be re-defined. THAT is what keto-adaptation is all about, and it’s an essential pre-requisite to successful fasting. 

In short, if you attempt to do a fast without being keto-adapted, your fast will fail and you will be in for a whole world of hurt and negative health consequences like muscle loss, slowed metabolism, etc, which can take weeks to recover from.  So, this is serious business!  However, if you have become keto-adapted, a long fast will be like a walk in the park, with no ill effects, little if any muscle loss, and only positive health benefits. 

It takes time and patience to become keto adapted.  Like anything, you need to know what you are doing and patiently do it in stages and not just jump into a fast, any more than you would enter a running marathon without first spending months to train for it! 

It's not that hard but it does take time.  For instance, you start out by doing intermittent fasting, then you progress to one-meal-a-day, then a 24 hour fast, progressing to 48 hours, and then 72 hours.  It takes months to become completely keto-adapted but  you will experience pay-back along the way, and the ultimate state of keto-adaptation will be well worth the effort!  If you are not patient enough to ramp up in stages, you should not even consider doing a multi-day fast...period!

Also, you need to have reasonable expectation of what a fast can, and can not achieve. There are plenty of genuine, even miraculous health benefits to becoming “keto adapted”, and to doing a multi-day fasts . The real truth is that becoming keto-adapted should be your REAL goal, and fasting should only be the means to achieving it.

One of the most important benefits of fasting is autophagy. Don’t rely on Guru-speak when reviewing this important topic. Most of what the "gurus have to say is nothing but mis -information and half-truths presented to you for self-serving purposes!  Autophagy is REAL SCIENCE, and the leading researcher in the field, Ohsumi, was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine for his work in 2016, and the ongoing research is redefining our understanding of the metabolic basis of not just weight loss but more importantly, diabetes type 2, many forms of cancer, and diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s!  It should be understood from truly science-based sources, not these dopey gurus on YouTube.  For me, autophagy is the primary reason that I fast.

If you simply think fasting is a way to lose weight fast, you’re not ready for fasting; you need to learn more. If you think a fast will magically detox your body of environmental toxins, think again!   Fasting is not some magic bullet; rather it is very strongly science-based and should be respected as such. Take the time to understand the underlying science, not the fantastical unfounded claims touted by all the health gurus whose only interests are self-serving ones.

Another point I think it's important to be clear about is the optimal length of a fast.  IMO, there is absolutely no reason to fast any longer than 5 days, and for most intents and purposes, really only 72 hours.  All of these silly videos on YouTube of people claiming to fast for weeks or even months on end are just plain nonsense!  The only situations where fasts longer than five days are necessary are for a morbidly obese patient with life threatening metabolic syndromes like advanced stage Diabetes type-2.  For all the rest of us, such a long fast is unnecessary and counterproductive.  IMO, 72 hours is the "sweet spot" for most people.

• Like 2

Inflammatory posts removed.

1 minute ago, OneEyedPie said:

Informative?  Maybe.

Complete and utter lunacy to deprive oneself of water for trendy fads?  Absolutely.  

Even a monkey wouldn't deprive itself of water so why would a human?

How far would you get before severe health complications set in in this weather that's averaging 38 to 40°C during the day.  Absolute ding dong post and nothing I'd want to associate myself with other than to condemn this nonsense in no uncertain terms.

Sorry but I can't say nothing on this occasion, OP.

Homosapiens have been around max 200,000 years

Primates evolved a few million years prior to that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_primates

Perhaps that is why , as you say, a Monkey would not deprive themselves of water.  Homosapiens appear to have a lot of learning still to do.  However , as we know, there are those that are in denial regarding evolutionary instincts.

You haven't answered the crucial question, WaveHunter.

How far would you get before severe health complications set in in this weather that's averaging 38 to 40°C during the day?

15 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Informative?  Maybe.

Complete and utter lunacy to deprive oneself of water for trendy fads?  Absolutely.  

Even a monkey wouldn't deprive itself of water so why would a human?

How far would you get before severe health complications set in in this weather that's averaging 38 to 40°C during the day.  Absolute ding dong post and nothing I'd want to associate myself with other than to condemn this nonsense in no uncertain terms.

Sorry but I can't say nothing else on this occasion, OP.

The clue is in the title "water fasting".  The only think you ingest is water, as much as you like. Black coffee is OK too!

• Like 2

At the age of 71 I don't think I'll be fasting for longer than 24 hours in the future, any loss in muscle mass is difficult to recuperate with older people even though I am ready for resistance training. 

Having reached my weight loss plateau after 6 months on Keto, all biometrics OK apparently. I plan on a monthly 24 hour fast (water fast) in the future, although I am slowly coming round to the idea that intermittent fasting is the way to go. I do watch my calories and consuming 50 gm of macademia nuts put me up to my calory level at midday already, so next meal tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edgarfriendly said:

what about tea?

black/green

Both tea and coffee contain caffeine, personally I would go for apple cider vinegar and ginger tea. 

3 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

A puerile response to an informative post, typical TV behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Another  ' life and soul of the party ' member of TV forum spreading a bit more of his excess misery.