BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WaveHunter

Water Only Fasting...Should you do it / How should you do it.

I'm no scientist, I'm no member of any scientological network....but for sure, fasting in a tropical climate with the heat, no water - can lead to serious health issues. Sorry. I'd rather read something informative on how to d"**mm stop smoking !!!

On 7/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, BobBKK said:

It's really weird just finished another 3 day water fast (very strict water only) and not even lost one gram. I have been intermittent fasting for 30 years and only eat once a day but I swear it's genetic as my father was at least 70 kilo more than me. Frustrating it is.

I don't understand how you can be overweight your a vegetarian. Do you eat a lot of bad stuff ? drink a lot of sugary drinks ? What really helped me was combining exercise with a clean diet. Especially weight lifting is one of the better exercises for fat loss (long term). However as your body changes the weight might stay the same and a centimeter is then a better measuring tool then the scales. Right now I am getting visibly leaner while eating more and exercising more. 

I had restricted my calories for a while as I became fat (ok not really fat but not how I wanted to look). It was all gone after 5 months and now I am eating more and still getting leaner. But only eating unprocessed foods with added proteins. I am of course exercising hard.

For the first time since years I am breaking through levels of strength I have not seen before. I was always affraid to eat more (fat fobia) and now eating more and exercising more and going through weight plateau's with lifting that I thought impossible. I thought i could not progress anymore after 7 years of exercising hard and hitting limits.

I am on TRT that changes things a bit too.  

I am convinced that diet alone is NOT the way to go and resistance training helps a lot. 

I'm no scientist, I'm no member of any scientological network....but for sure, fasting in a tropical climate with the heat, no water - can lead to serious health issues. Sorry. I'd rather read something informative on how to d"**mm stop smoking !!!

The clue is on the title “water only fasting”. You don’t eat, but drink as much water as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

42 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

The clue is on the title “water only fasting”. You don’t eat, but drink as much water as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I did not even respond, not sure why anyone would think your not allowed to drink during a fast (water that is). Humans tend to do real badly when they don't drink.

4 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

FYI bacteria counts are not part of stool analysis. They are part of urine cultures. 

Nonsense!  Stool cultures are a common first-step diagnostic tool used to detect underlying cause for gastro-intestinal symptoms such as diarrhea, abdominal pain, and nausea or vomiting.  The test distinguishes between the types of bacteria that cause disease (pathogenic) and the types that are normally found in the digestive tract (normal flora).

If a gastro-intestinal bacterial infection is suspected, a stool culture will be indicated, not a urine culture.

Almost every expat living in Thailand knows this (or at least should) since one may easily become infected by disease-causing bacteria by eating or drinking anything that has been contaminated with the bacteria, even things as simple as tap water, ice cubes in a drink, a fresh salad, or food from a vendor's stall.

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Wow!  Don't be so obtuse.  The definition of water fasting is abstinence from food for a period of time, not water

From the tone of your post, It's obvious that that you are trying to malign water-fasting, but maybe you should at least understand what it is that you're trying to be critical of, before making such a foolish remark.

Now, you want to read something informative on how to quit smoking?  JUST QUIT BUYING CIGARETTES!  Pretty simple, right? 🙂  If somebody really wants to change a bad habit, it's not that hard, providing they really want to do it.

9 hours ago, Harveyg said:

Wondering how fermented foods may be related to the benefits of any sort of fasting. My issue is tiredness, although seems better lately. I received results about 3 weeks ago from a stool sample i had submitted for testing. One of the results was low number of microbes.

so everyday I’ve taken 1 or 2 spoonfuls of various kinds of kimchi, plain yogurt, or sauerkraut.  Also do occasional kefir and kombucha.  At this point I’m doing 16:8 and wondering about in the future, the 72hr minimum. Hoping I can get my energy back.  Any helpful insights are welcome. Thanks. 

Everyone goes through periods of unexplainable fatigue but if it is chronic, my advice would be to consult a good physician who will order up a comprehensive battery of lab tests.  Here in Thailand, that needn't be costly (if tests are not done at a large hospital).  All the tests you need will usually cost no more than 2500 baht.  If nothing serious is wrong, then you can focus on corrective actions with nutrition.

I can only speak for myself, and I'm not a doctor.  There's nothing wrong with fermented foods and most are healthy but I don't think they are a cure-all.  All that really is necessary for most people to feel better is simply to adopt sound nutritional guidelines.  Simple stuff like cutting down on excessive sugar, processed foods, etc..., will usually have an immediate and noticeable effect.  It's really not rocket science.

For me, and many others, proper water fasting can play an important role in "resetting" your metabolic health.  You need to do your own research to decide if it is right for you but for many, there are some real science-based advantages of short-term water fasting (i.e.: 24 hour, 48 hour, 72 hour fasts). 

Learn about fasting from reliable sources (not YouTube gurus), and then try it out for yourself if you think it might be beneficial.  If you are in reasonably good health, there is nothing dangerous about short-term water fasting.  And for most people, it's not as hard as you might think.

Just my 2 cents worth.  Take it for what it's worth.

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

Correction: Stool cultures are for enteric pathogens. Normal flora is ignored. We use selective media so normal flora is suppressed and only enteric pathogens grow. We do not quantify the enteric pathogens.  Stools are full of normal flora (bacteria) that what keeps our gut working. There are some specialized tests such as C-difficile that are ordered specifically.  However if we suspect parasites other tests are done.

Urine should be relatively sterile so we do colony counts to evaluate the severity of the infection. This was only mentioned as a comparison.

Trying to discuss anything rational with you is an exercise in futility, so I won't even bother.

6 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Wow!  Don't be so obtuse.  The definition of water fasting is abstinence from food for a period of time, not water

From the tone of your post, It's obvious that that you are trying to malign water-fasting, but maybe you should at least understand what it is that you're trying to be critical of, before making such a foolish remark.

Now, you want to read something informative on how to quit smoking?  JUST QUIT BUYING CIGARETTES!  Pretty simple, right? 🙂  If somebody really wants to change a bad habit, it's not that hard, providing they really want to do it.

The definition of the word "tact" does not seem to be your cup of tea. And there is no need to be rude behind a computer towards others. Have a nice evening.

23 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The definition of the word "tact" does not seem to be your cup of tea. Have a nice evening.

My lack of tact was intentional.  Sorry, but I find it offensive when someone maliciously trashes a topic he obviously hasn't even taken the time to understand.

If you're going to be critical of something you should at least have a rudimentary understanding of it.  There's no excuse for ignorance. Implying that water fasting means not drinking water is an example if incredible ignorance on the subject.

35 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

It appears that kohsami has a very thin skin and he can't admit he knows nothing about what he's writing about. He especially knows next to nothing about Clinical Microbiology. Your intestinal track needs healthy bacteria to properly function and is loaded with them. A normal stool is full of bacteria that in effect are beneficial. That's why some people take "probiotics" to re-balance their system. Enteric pathogens are another issue and cause disease. We use methods to select only the pathogens so as to not cause overgrowth from normal bacteria. We do not count the number of bacteria/volume. 

Ask any Clinical Microbiologist and the can confirm. They are in most hospitals and labs throughout Thailand and the world.

Google search is OK but not a substitute from professional medical knowledge. If in doubt ask a professional.

It truly amazes me how you continually make one outrageous and absurd comment after another in threads I follow. 

I realize that you get pleasure from sounding like an authority on subjects you obviously do not understand like biochemistry, metabolic science, and now, clinical microbiology.  The truth is, you come off sounding very foolish, and worse, you refuse to admit it even when your errors are clearly pointed out to you.

Yes, a stool will certainly contain "healthy" bacteria.  It can also contain pathogenic bacteria.  Any expat who has eaten at the "wrong" food stall, consequently begins suffering serious gastro-intestinal distress and visits the doctor know that a stool culture is a first diagnostic step, not a urine test! 

You don't need to be a microbiologist to understand this; you simply have to live in the "real world".  Why don't you try that sometime; you might actually like it!

I am not going to read 14 pages but I can tell you my personal experience with this.

I fasted 2 or 3 times for two or three weeks. At that time I was between 25 and 30 years old, a long time ago.

In the 2 or 3 weeks I was only drinking water. Or maybe water with a little lemon. Nothing else. No food, no medication, no vitamins, nothing.

At that time I had a friend who was a medical doctor and I made it at the same time when he made it.

Here are some details:

I lost about 1kg per 3 days fasting. That is the real weight loss. In the first days people lose more weight because the stomach is empty but that weight is back at the end when people start eating again.

According to my doctor friend the most important part was the start of the fasting. First day little to eat, then one day lots of natural apple juice (not sweet) to get everything out of the stomach. And then only water.

After 2 or 3 days I was not hungry anymore. It was sometimes difficult when other people had something to eat and that smelled good. But nothing worse than that.

My experience at that time was positive but I was in the good situation to have an experienced doctor available anytime I needed him. And I did this in European spring climate - not in the Thailand heat.

I hope that information helps a little.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not going to read 14 pages but I can tell you my personal experience with this.

I fasted 2 or 3 times for two or three weeks. At that time I was between 25 and 30 years old, a long time ago.

In the 2 or 3 weeks I was only drinking water. Or maybe water with a little lemon. Nothing else. No food, no medication, no vitamins, nothing.

At that time I had a friend who was a medical doctor and I made it at the same time when he made it.

Here are some details:

I lost about 1kg per 3 days fasting. That is the real weight loss. In the first days people lose more weight because the stomach is empty but that weight is back at the end when people start eating again.

According to my doctor friend the most important part was the start of the fasting. First day little to eat, then one day lots of natural apple juice (not sweet) to get everything out of the stomach. And then only water.

After 2 or 3 days I was not hungry anymore. It was sometimes difficult when other people had something to eat and that smelled good. But nothing worse than that.

My experience at that time was positive but I was in the good situation to have an experienced doctor available anytime I needed him. And I did this in European spring climate - not in the Thailand heat.

I hope that information helps a little.

Glad to hear that at least somebody has something positive to say about fasting 🙂  I fast on a regular basis (72 hours, once a month or every other month).  I do it, not for weight loss, but simply because I believe it has a positive effect on my metabolic health.  

I agree that a regimented way of fasting is a good idea if you are new to fasting, and doing it under a doctor's supervision is wise provided the doctor truly understands the underlying metabolic science (most do not). 

However, the body quickly begins to adapt to the fasted state if you do it on a regular basis.  It's referred to as "keto adaptation".  The body is actually far more resilient than we give it credit for.  I not only suffer no ill effects, hunger or cravings when i do my monthly fasts but oddly, I actually feel energized in a certain sort of way. 

BTW, I know it might seem counter-intuitive but fasting in the hot climate of Thailand has no negative effect on me.  In fact, recently I begin experimenting with exercising in the fasted state, and on my last fast that included resistance training in the gym, and daily 6km runs (even on sunny days).  None of it was a problem.  I'm not advocating that others do this unless they are in really good physical condition, and only point this out to illustrate that our bodies are far more resilient than we often believe, and sometimes, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone can be a good thing. 

My feeling (opinion) is that fasting has long-term metabolic and overall health benefits.  As a short term strategy for loosing weight, I have a negative view, except as a means to jump-start a longer term nutritional strategy.

Just my personal view; also just hope it helps others explore the idea of fasting for themselves.

You made an incomplete comment; I asked you to expand and explain yourself.  Is that so hard to do? 

You "question" was totally irrelevant and providing only those two pieces of data would be pointless, but I'll provide them if that seems important to you...but I will provide the context that will make them relevant which you should have asked for int he first place.

I am 165 cm tall, weigh 63kg.  My Body fat is 11%  I am a competitive road cyclist so having low body fat (and low riding weight) is important to me, but being able to generate high watts during a ride is also important, thus my interest in cutting edge nutrition, and keto adapted nutrition in particular since it better allows me to tap into stored fat as a fuel source instead of only being able to rely on a glucose-dominant metabolism.

My use of water fasting has NOTHING to do with weight management.  Being keto adapted and riding bicycles takes care of that for me.  My interest in fasting is that it promotes autophagy, and it also acts as a stressor to the body that helps to keep me keto-adapted.

Hi, Your cycling angle interest me. You say you are a competitive cyclist. May I ask if that is speed based or endurance based cycling ? How many calories do you burn per week cycling ?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Hi, Your cycling angle interest me. You say you are a competitive cyclist. May I ask if that is speed based or endurance based cycling ? How many calories do you burn per week cycling ?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’d say my riding is a combination of speed and endurance but I’d say more on the endurance side.  My preference is for hill climbing but I also like day long group rides (100 km +).  Whether hill climbing or long rides, I usually try to keep my cadence (pedal rpm) around 100. 

To be clear, I am not a professional cyclist nor do I compete in formal races.  I am primarily a Strava rider.  

Calories burned per week vary depending on type of rides for that week.  A 100 km ride involving serious climbing can easily burn 2000+ calories for the day.  Most of my daily rides are 2-3 hour climbs up Doi Suthep and average 500 to 700 calories, maybe 1000 if pushing hard I guess.  These numbers are based on using a heart rate monitor, power meter, and cycling computer so I’m pretty sure about these numbers.

I ride 5-6 days a week, typically 2 hours on weekdays, and a day long ride on Saturday or Sunday with other Strava riders when I can.

Please note I am certainly not in a fasted state when I ride.  My fasting is limited to one 72 hour fast once a month or every other month, and the fast is not intended for fat loss but rather for enhanced autophagy. 

Personally, I don't believe in water-fasting as a weight loss strategy for most people.  It might sound enticing if you listen to health gurus that tout it but IMO the only sound strategy to weight loss is adopting sound nutritional guidelines.  Without them, any short-term diet is only going to yield short-term results.

Hope that helps.