BANGKOK
WaveHunter

Water Only Fasting...Should you do it / How should you do it.

I was somewhat amused at the statements about getting info on fasting from YouTube and the Internet etc. I was fasting in the late sixties when I was in my twenties and none of that info was available. I would fast for 36 hours each week with only water with a lemon squeezed into it. I would break the fast with a salad. Every few months I would do a week fast in the same way.

i remember reading about some people trapped on an island with no food after a volcano erupted. When the rescue ships arrived the people hadn't eaten for three days and were starving.....I was in the middle of a week fast at the time and was perfectly fine....all depends on your perspective. A friend on Phuket in his late sixties fasts each week now.....for me I just eat very carefully and healthy and I am 75. 

If you want to lose weight I would suggest following the GERD diet. I did it for six months thinking I had that issue and went from 168lbs and am now 145lbs with no gut and feel great.

Just now, soalbundy said:

In very hot weather I fast naturally ie. I lose my appetite completely and will go without food for 3 days but I will drink half a liter of milk per day but thats all, after that my appetite comes back.

And your energy level? 

For me is more about still doing daily things without loosing consentration or energy. In the long end, any diet or fasting will kick back not matter how you feel in the moment if you do to long. 

I know the sensation you feel when you believe a concept working for you, it is just to know when to stop. 

Fasting will mess up your mineral and vitamin level, hormons, feelings, so it needs a total understanding and control to do so. We can make it complicated or we can make it simple. Eat what you need, and no more for shorter terms, hungry or not, even a banana and a fresh coconut in the morning before it gets to hot, will help you feel better, and you loose no time as 3 days to feel better. 

Alchohol I try to stay away from as much I can, especially when it is hot. 

9 minutes ago, Mansell said:

I was somewhat amused at the statements about getting info on fasting from YouTube and the Internet etc. I was fasting in the late sixties when I was in my twenties and none of that info was available. I would fast for 36 hours each week with only water with a lemon squeezed into it. I would break the fast with a salad. Every few months I would do a week fast in the same way.

i remember reading about some people trapped on an island with no food after a volcano erupted. When the rescue ships arrived the people hadn't eaten for three days and were starving.....I was in the middle of a week fast at the time and was perfectly fine....all depends on your perspective. A friend on Phuket in his late sixties fasts each week now.....for me I just eat very carefully and healthy and I am 75. 

If you want to lose weight I would suggest following the GERD diet. I did it for six months thinking I had that issue and went from 168lbs and am now 145lbs with no gut and feel great.

Nice post.  Too many people think going without food for a day is tantamount to starvation.  That's really nonsense.  The human body is far more resilient than people realize, and it was designed to go without food for much longer periods of time with no ill effects.

Quite to the contrary, there are a lot of positive metabolic changes that happen during a fast, and some of them have positive long-term effects beyond the period of the fast.  Too many people are swayed by the dopey YouTube diet gurus who advocate fasting for weight loss instead of exploring the more science-based aspects of nutritional fasting.

Edited by Kohsamida

Just now, Tagged said:

And your energy level? 

For me is more about still doing daily things without loosing consentration or energy. In the long end, any diet or fasting will kick back not matter how you feel in the moment if you do to long. 

I know the sensation you feel when you believe a concept working for you, it is just to know when to stop. 

Fasting will mess up your mineral and vitamin level, hormons, feelings, so it needs a total understanding and control to do so. We can make it complicated or we can make it simple. Eat what you need, and no more for shorter terms, hungry or not, even a banana and a fresh coconut in the morning before it gets to hot, will help you feel better, and you loose no time as 3 days to feel better. 

energy levels are OK, it's not something I do intentionally, I have no need to lose weight I'm quite slim, I just do what my body tells me, if it doesn't want food I don't feed it, it hasn't harmed me. I don't eat much anyway, a small breakfast, a snack at lunch time and an evening meal suits me.

6 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Nice post.  Too many people think going without food for a day is tantamount to starvation.  That's really nonsense.  The human body is far more resilient than people realize, and it was designed to go without food for much longer periods of time with no ill effects.

Quite to the contrary, there are a lot of positive metabolic changes that happen during a fast, and some of them have positive long-term effects beyond the period of the fast.  Too many people are swayed by the dopey YouTube diet gurus who advocate fasting for weight loss instead of exploring the more science-based aspects of nutritional fasting.

It is a religion because you need to believe, and then be true to it. And as you say, you need to understand, and it takes alot of effort the get to that point. Most people do not even manage their own daily basis diet, and neither want to, even they talk alot about it, and think about it all the time what they need to do, and still even with the knife to the troath, when they get sick, they can not get started. 

Three things easy to do, eat less, less sweets, be more active, simple? And by be more active, you do not need to start to run a marathon to get resoults. Just gett your blood flowing a bit faster. 

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

And your energy level? 

Actually, your energy levels rebound after you enter into ketosis.  You are mistaken about mineral, vitamin and (negative) hormone levels.  Metabolic hormone balance actually improves for many as a result of fasting.  Vitamin and mineral levels are unaffected on a short-term fast, and on a longer term fast, a vitamin supplement will keep things in check.

I normally do a 72 hour fast once a month or every other month.  I am keto-adapted from doing this and I experience no metabolic slowdown and no negative mood swings during my fasts.  In fact, I feel more energized as I enter into day 3 each and every time.  I work out in the gym and run during all of my fasts...and I'm talking about doing it here in the hot climate of Thailand.

There's just too many unfounded negative myths about fasting that are quickly dispelled once you experience it for yourself.

I’d say my riding is a combination of speed and endurance but I’d say more on the endurance side.  My preference is for hill climbing but I also like day long group rides (100 km +).  Whether hill climbing or long rides, I usually try to keep my cadence (pedal rpm) around 100. 

To be clear, I am not a professional cyclist nor do I compete in formal races.  I am primarily a Strava rider.  

Calories burned per week vary depending on type of rides for that week.  A 100 km ride involving serious climbing can easily burn 2000+ calories for the day.  Most of my daily rides are 2-3 hour climbs up Doi Suthep and average 500 to 700 calories, maybe 1000 if pushing hard I guess.  These numbers are based on using a heart rate monitor, power meter, and cycling computer so I’m pretty sure about these numbers.

I ride 5-6 days a week, typically 2 hours on weekdays, and a day long ride on Saturday or Sunday with other Strava riders when I can.

Please note I am certainly not in a fasted state when I ride.  My fasting is limited to one 72 hour fast once a month or every other month, and the fast is not intended for fat loss but rather for enhanced autophagy. 

Personally, I don't believe in water-fasting as a weight loss strategy for most people.  It might sound enticing if you listen to health gurus that tout it but IMO the only sound strategy to weight loss is adopting sound nutritional guidelines.  Without them, any short-term diet is only going to yield short-term results.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your comments regarding cycling - That all makes sense to me (also a Strava and Audax rider)

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Tagged said:

It is a religion because you need to believe, and then be true to it. And as you say, you need to understand, and it takes alot of effort the get to that point. Most people do not even manage their own daily basis diet, and neither want to, even they talk alot about it, and think about it all the time what they need to do, and still even with the knife to the troath, when they get sick, they can not get started. 

Three things easy to do, eat less, less sweets, be more active, simple? And by be more active, you do not need to start to run a marathon to get resoults. Just gett your blood flowing a bit faster. 

Yeah, really good health is a simple thing to master.  Common sense and simplicity is the best guideline.  Being able to truly listen to your body tells you everything you really need to know.  Keeping it simple is best.  For me, it's far easier to do a 72 hour fast once a month and as a result to never have to be concerned with crazy diets and calorie counting.  All can say is that it works for me and it took me a long time to realize this.  So all I'm saying is that other people should consider looking at good health from another perspective aside from weigh loss dieting.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Yeah, really good health is a simple thing to master.  Common sense and simplicity is the best guideline.  Being able to truly listen to your body tells you everything you really need to know.  Keeping it simple is best.  For me, it's far easier to do a 72 hour fast once a month and as a result to never have to be concerned with crazy diets and calorie counting.  All can say is that it works for me and it took me a long time to realize this.  So all I'm saying is that other people should consider looking at good health from another perspective aside from weigh loss dieting.

You have to aggree, 72 hours fasting seems extreme to others? And Im not talking about a crazy diet either, and I hardly feel hungry, since I know to stay away what gives me that hunger feeling. Actually you feel full, good energy without even feel you are on a diet, but it takes awhile before you figure out what to eat and not. 

I guess your diet when off fasting is not hamburgers, pizza fast carbs, sweets, or huge amounts of alchohol? You still think about what you eat, right? 

I rader eat kind of boring food, for my daily basis, but in the weekends, I enjoy hamburgers and pizzas as pasta dishes, even pasta is kind of the worst you can eat. You feel full, but next minute, you are hungry again, same as you drink a coke when thirsty, or a beer, you are ready for another one right away. 

BTW, I admire your effort to make a difference, and you do it your way. What works for you, will also help others to start, and might inspire them to do something about their situation. 

3 minutes ago, Tagged said:

You have to aggree, 72 hours fasting seems extreme to others? And Im not talking about a crazy diet either, and I hardly feel hungry, since I know to stay away what gives me that hunger feeling. Actually you feel full, good energy without even feel you are on a diet, but it takes awhile before you figure out what to eat and not. 

I guess your diet when off fasting is not hamburgers, pizza fast carbs, sweets, or huge amounts of alchohol? You still think about what you eat, right? 

I rader eat kind of boring food, for my daily basis, but in the weekends, I enjoy hamburgers and pizzas as pasta dishes, even pasta is kind of the worst you can eat. You feel full, but next minute, you are hungry again, same as you drink a coke when thirsty, or a beer, you are ready for another one right away. 

I used to be very regimented about my diet but ever since I started using fasting to improve metabolic efficiency I'm not so concerned anymore.  I still try to eat smart most of the time but I confess to giving in to cravings sometimes.  I mean, life is just too short to give up sinful delights...right? 🙂  An occasional trip to McDonalds or a nice greasy, gooey pizza is just too good to pass up sometimes.  And the thing is, I only do that when I've had a craving that will go on for days.  Sometimes I have to wonder if my body isn't telling you something when I get those kind of cravings, ya know?  So, giving in to an occasional craving might even be a good thing.  Who knows?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tagged said:

BTW, I admire your effort to make a difference, and you do it your way. What works for you, will also help others to start, and might inspire them to do something about their situation. 

I'm not sure who this is addressed to but on that note, I know that sometimes I rub people the wrong way who think I'm just trying to impose my views on others but I'm really not.  I realize that everyone is unique and what works for me and others who contribute positively to this thread may not be appropriate for everyone. 

All I'm really trying to do is share my thoughts and encourage others to consider if these type of things might play a positive role in their own life.  I just think back when I was struggling with a lot of health issues how nice it would have been if somebody had said something similar that would have saved me all the time and effort it took for me to discover this all on my own. 

That's why I started this thread to begin with.  It would be nice if more people participated in a positive way like you are. 

Edited by WaveHunter

12 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Sometimes I rub people the wrong way who think I'm just trying to impose my views on others but I'm really not.  I realize that everyone is unique and what works for me may not be appropriate for another person.  All I'm really trying to do is share my thoughts and encourage others to consider if these type of things might play a positive role in their own life.  I just thin back when I was struggling with a lot of health issues how nice it would have been if somebody had said something similar that would have saved me all the time and effort it took for me to discover this all on my own.

And still as me as you, they have to experience the whole thing by themselves, because it is a jungle out there. Even my way, and our way, either way, they need to read evaluate and decide where to start. 

I was lucky to been active all my life, until I almost was disabled, and it took me awhile to get my self together and do something about it, before it was to late. So alot easier when I first got started, but I needed fallbacks several times, before I just did it my way as described before. Diet supplys, vitamins, minerals, fish oil, and everything you can think of I have bought and started on, but all I needed to do, was to eat less, move more, build my strenght, and be patient. Now Im almost 100% back on my feet, doing what I like to do. Not as much as before, but Im happy and healthy. 

Pain is part of life, so just get over it, and do it, and by time, you start think less about the pain, and more about what you are able to do, and not what you cant do anymore. 

Edited by Tagged

A water fast is a fast  where you consume only water; you do not abstain from drinking water.  Don't be so obtuse for god's sake LOL!

Wrong! You need to take the right quantities of minerals during your water fasting...

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

Wrong! You need to take the right quantities of minerals during your water fasting...

My remark was "...a water fast is a fast where you consume only water; you do not abstain from drinking water."  How does your comment prove me "wrong!" in saying that?