Indian Restaurant in Roi Et

yosib157

On some google maps an Indian Restaurant is shown located near the Smart Place Hotel. Listed as the Moo Hou (house?) the aerial picture shows it in a group of trees with no road. I'm guessing that this place used to trade some time back but is now closed. 

I found another reference to it where the second language is Arabic.

Can any Roi Et resident give me any further information or is there another such eatery anywhere. I really would like to eat a good Indian meal somewhere when touring Isaan.

Thanks for the only response I've had which is surprising after seeing so many foreigners around the town on our visits.

According to google maps, that whole area looks rather neglected but often that's where you can find the best places.

After reading the name PISHI, I found a comment on some other site saying how good the food was. No other references -- anywhere.

Thanks again; will take a look maybe in 6 weeks on our next visit, but I'll get the wife to call first. 

11 hours ago, yosib157 said:

Thanks for the only response I've had which is surprising after seeing so many foreigners around the town on our visits.

So many falangs and so few Indian restaurants.  It's Roi Et.  What exactly did you expect?

14 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

So many falangs and so few Indian restaurants.  It's Roi Et.  What exactly did you expect?

Well I didn't expect the Taj Mahal. However, previously the foreigners we've met during our 6 visits there have been polite and helpful.

I only asked for any 101 resident to confirm what I had seen on google maps as the other member kindly did --- twice. 

Thanks for your input.

38 minutes ago, Riojasue said:

If you’re ever over in Khon Kaen on your Issan travels we’ve got a wonderful Indian Restaurant here called Quinn’s. The food is amazing and authentic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for the suggestion. KK isn't usually on our itinerary, but we spend maybe 3 months/year touring so we may call in for a few days.

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Looks like a humble little place ... if it's still open.  It's just down the street from Roi Et Plaza where there's a KFC. The Col Sanders sign is staring right at the restaurant.

image.png.072d78f46dc5caa0020e3ca08adeb91c.png

image.png.0deee6272eba8263c7a8f394fba94ee6.png

Thanks again for more info. If it's closed when we visit, there are other places nearby where we previously enjoyed a dinner. 

And I don't mean the Colonel. 

I hope it works out.  I am very fond of Indian food.  My friends and I used to frequent a tiny hole-in-the-wall lunch place in BKK.  It was in a narrow alley down around Yaowarat or Pahurat near the cloth market.  It was good, cheap and almost impossible to find. 

On a nearby corner was an older, distinguished looking Sikh gentleman selling some deep-fried dough balls of some sort.  Quite good.  On a subsequent visit some 20 years later, he and his cart were still in the same spot, though he had a helper.  The helper told me the old gent had managed to visit relatives in the USA.  Amazing.

8 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I hope it works out.  I am very fond of Indian food.  My friends and I used to frequent a tiny hole-in-the-wall lunch place in BKK.  It was in a narrow alley down around Yaowarat or Pahurat near the cloth market.  It was good, cheap and almost impossible to find. 

On a nearby corner was an older, distinguished looking Sikh gentleman selling some deep-fried dough balls of some sort.  Quite good.  On a subsequent visit some 20 years later, he and his cart were still in the same spot, though he had a helper.  The helper told me the old gent had managed to visit relatives in the USA.  Amazing.

It must be 15 years since I last ate in Chinatown when it was Vegetarian week. Food in a large Chinese Department Store was so very special we stayed an extra night. I'm certainly not vegetarian, but a lot of Indian food is of course. 

For a variety of reasons, I don't particularly ever want to visit Bangkok again. The 800 km distance is just fine as we enjoy finding new/different places in Isaan even after 18 years living here.

As we only returned home last month, our next trip will probably be in about 5 weeks. If no luck in Roi Et, I'll probably check out the one in Khon Kaen.

Took the wife to Singapore maybe 10 years ago, but she never acquired a taste for Indian cuisine in Little India. Spent our last 2 nights in Chinatown eating their version of Tom Yam. 

So our trip is for me to complete a mission wherever it ends up.

Thanks again 

About 40 years ago in Singapore, I ate at an open-front Indian place.  They had two very long tables with benches, like picnic tables. Must have been breakfast.  They put down a banana leaf, ladled some Dal or something from a bucket onto it.  Then there was a doughnut thing and a tablespoon of two other things.  It was tricky to eat it by hand or mop it up with the doughnut before it ran off onto your lap.  No utensils whatsoever. Cost at the time was 10 Baht (50 cents US).  I don't know what it was, but it was good.

There's an India bakery near me in the USA that has a weekly special - all you can eat Masala dosa with trimmings for about 275 Baht.  I've seen big guys wolfing down maybe 4 each.  Funny thing was the lady cooking the dosas was Hispanic. 

My wife says I should have married someone who can cook Indian food.  Like one of these gals.  555

image.png.b9a082c6cf48079941d08cd9da5dc2b5.png

On 5/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, Damrongsak said:

On a nearby corner was an older, distinguished looking Sikh gentleman selling some deep-fried dough balls of some sort.  Quite good.

I'm not familiar with Sikh food, but what you describe sounds like golub jamins.  The dough is actually greatly reduced milk or moistened powder milk.  Usually served with a very sweet syrup.  One of my favorites.

Archived