BANGKOK 21 May 2019 04:03
suk53

How to change a LINE account from a phone number in one country to a phone number in another country?

Hi,

How to change a LINE account from a phone number in one country to a phone number in another country? (In my scenario, this will be from an Australian mobile number to a Thai mobile number)

Cannot leave it on the old number for a number of reasons (incl. inability to use LINE Pay in many other apps if numbers are not identical).

The way described on LINE's online help for changing phone number only works if changing within the same country. LINE support is entirely useless, I tried multiple times, entirely uninformed/disconnected responses. Found the problem posted on ThaiVisa but no solution.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thank you for any help!

Posted (edited)

Are you changing the phone, or just the SIM?

I bought a new phone (new SIM, new US phone no.) in the USA, installed LINE from the Play Store, logged into LINE using my Line ID and my password, and I was on LINE in the USA, from a Thailand account.  Then I went in under settings, and changed the phone number.

There may have been more steps, but I recall that the only hard part was remembering what the hell my password was. 

If you're only changing the SIM, the first few steps may be unnecessary.  I think you just go into settings and change the phone number.

Edited by impulse

It can't be that difficult if I did it.I changed from Indonesia to Thailand but on the same phone. Don't member doing anything special. I think it just asks for your old number.

i've often changed countries and phone numbers and line just continued to work.

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the responses! Appreciated.

What works for changing country of LINE from overseas mobile number to Thai number (new SIM card, same mobile):

1) connect LINE to Facebook, 2) uninstall LINE, 3) reinstall LINE (using Thai SIM card and Thai app store, Apple's AppStore in my case, but seems to work in the same way on Google's Play Store as per impulse's post)

(What does not work: changing mobile number via Settings in the LINE app.)

(LINE keeps working on the same mobile if you do not change the number – BUT LINE Pay does not work properly with other Thai apps, as in my original post, and, in case you ever get locked out, their confirmation SMS may not reach you because they go to the old overseas number.)

Edited by suk53