Follow Japanese traffic laws - that will reduce accidents, Thais urged

webfact

I think I am right is saying that the majority of deaths are scooter/cycle related. And that most of these are young people.

Why not target this segment first through education and practical instruction.

I see ridiculously young kids on scooters all the time so why not make safe driving skills part of the school curriculum from an early age.

If safety is ingrained from day one, it should stick for life.

Speed limiters on scooters (regardless of rider age/ability) would also help.

And of course, the laws need to be enforced by the police, parents and the community in general. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

I don't see the necessity of Thai drivers being forced to adopt Japanese driving rules...Thais already drive like a bunch of kamikaze on a suicide mission...

Yes I have found one kamikaze on a suicide mission in front my road this morning ???? mission failed for now

20 hours ago, garzhe said:

Roundabouts don't work. I have one near where I live and frequently meet motorbikes going round the wrong way. Educating them to give way to the right and circumnavigate clockwise would be an impossible task.

Roundabouts do work and they significantly improve traffic flow.  The problem here is they don't have them and, with traffic laws not being enforced, even when one is installed it gets ridiculed because no-one has been taught how to use it and the usual free for all takes over.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

Roundabouts do work and they significantly improve traffic flow.  The problem here is they don't have them and, with traffic laws not being enforced, even when one is installed it gets ridiculed because no-one has been taught how to use it and the usual free for all takes over.

No they do not work here.

Thais are to selfish on the roads to make them workable.

Grid lock is only one Somchai away at any time.

... the clue is in the word ‘responsible’.

thus the problematic situation of confusing ‘non attachment’ to every day living requirements. 

Becoming self responsible creates a sense of suffering for the ignorant ones. 

A serious problem with the law in Thailand is that a drink driver who collides with a vehicle while attempting a recklessly dangerous manoeuvre and is injured while doing so can pursue that his victim was to blame also as they should of been extra aware for their lack of responsibility and to claim for damages also. 

‘Fact’ !

As i’m currently having to defend against such an insane system. 

Until you hold ‘zero tolerance’ towards Drink Drivers, Speeding, and Vehicles driving on the the wrong side of the road when they create massively to a road traffic accident then your not going to sort jack poo out. Why, because the perpetrators and those who hear of the insanity of having the victims of their selfishness having to pay out then it’s going to be business as usual on the roads here. 

Insane, so insane I had to stop thinking of why they have such a illogical rational to their laws on road traffic accidents.

Mental !  

12 hours ago, fresher said:

I would like to challenge this. There are Thai people living in the UK, but I never hear of them being singled out as bad drivers. On the other hand, I see many instances of farangs driving badly and breaking rules in Chiang Mai. I suggest that the cause of the problem is 100% ineffective law enforcement.

RE - I would like to challenge this. There are Thai people living in the UK, but I never hear of them being singled out as bad drivers.

This seem to tell more about the English driving skills than anything else … :whistling: 

On 5/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, gmac said:

What they actually need to do is get rid of u-turns, install roundabouts in many places instead of traffic lights, stop making people drive an extra 2 kilometres and back to get to a right turn that could easily have been served by a roundabout.   My own local PTT service station is about 700 metres from my house but since they widened the road to facilitate through traffic it is now an 8 kilometre round trip involving 2 u-turns and a potential long wait at a traffic light.  No wonder locals drive the wrong way down the road to avoid this absurdity.

People jump red lights because of the delays caused by operating them in 4 stages rather than 2, so unnecessary on most junctions.

Educate drivers properly before letting them on the road, a written test and knowing how to parallel park does not a driver make.

Yes absolutely,not being allowed to turn right until the green arrow is shown,with no traffic coming and, not being allowed to stop at the middle to turn right,as the UK . No computerized lights,stopping six lanes of traffic,to let a few cars cross. pathetic.

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

No they do not work here.

Thais are to selfish on the roads to make them workable.

Grid lock is only one Somchai away at any time.

No, they don't work here but they could if only people were forced to learn how to drive properly and laws were enforced consistently, but we all know that will never happen.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:28 AM, gmac said:

What they actually need to do is get rid of u-turns, install roundabouts in many places instead of traffic lights, stop making people drive an extra 2 kilometres and back to get to a right turn that could easily have been served by a roundabout.   My own local PTT service station is about 700 metres from my house but since they widened the road to facilitate through traffic it is now an 8 kilometre round trip involving 2 u-turns and a potential long wait at a traffic light.  No wonder locals drive the wrong way down the road to avoid this absurdity.

People jump red lights because of the delays caused by operating them in 4 stages rather than 2, so unnecessary on most junctions.

Educate drivers properly before letting them on the road, a written test and knowing how to parallel park does not a driver make.

If you get rid of u turns there will be 1,000s of people driving on the wrong side of the road and even more carnage.

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

If you get rid of u turns there will be 1,000s of people driving on the wrong side of the road and even more carnage.

There already are because you can't turn right anywhere.  I think the u-turns are responsible for more carnage than the vehicles driving the wrong way because of them!

On 5/8/2019 at 7:49 AM, Youlike said:

While in Tokyo i saw the Japanese police writing tickets every day again for cars parked on the road....

I have never ever seen that in Thailand.

Without real police Thailand will always stay what it is now....a very dangerous place to be on the roads.

I have, cars and bikes,  frequently in Surin province.

On 5/8/2019 at 2:00 PM, Lupatria said:

Don't miss tomorrow's follow up:

Thousands of Japanese police officers apply to become members of the RTP teaching them how to enforce traffic laws.

The irony of which is that the members of the RTP probably don't know the actual laws well enough to enforce them.

Give ya an example.  In Lamphun province there is a police station on Highway 11 near where I live.  About 200 meters up the road  there is a UTurn of Death.  Almost directly across the road on the other side of the highway is a rural road.  On any given day, I'd guess that 100 drivers drive the wrong way and against oncoming traffic down Highway 11 from the Uturn  - in direct view of the cop shop - to get the rural road.  I see this very, very often when driving that section of highway.  

Do the cops do anything?  Nope!  

So, there's your first indication that the Thai traffic enforcement system is completely broken and completely beyond repair.  Their system of enforcement by road-block is a revenue generator and has little if nothing to do with enforcement.

53 minutes ago, connda said:

The irony of which is that the members of the RTP probably don't know the actual laws well enough to enforce them.

Give ya an example.  In Lamphun province there is a police station on Highway 11 near where I live.  About 200 meters up the road  there is a UTurn of Death.  Almost directly across the road on the other side of the highway is a rural road.  On any given day, I'd guess that 100 drivers drive the wrong way and against oncoming traffic down Highway 11 from the Uturn  - in direct view of the cop shop - to get the rural road.  I see this very, very often when driving that section of highway.  

Do the cops do anything?  Nope!  

So, there's your first indication that the Thai traffic enforcement system is completely broken and completely beyond repair.  Their system of enforcement by road-block is a revenue generator and has little if nothing to do with enforcement.

100% true.

I also wish,  to the murderous , dangerous, selfish drivers and riders of Thailand.

A big box of charcoal and some orange candles. ( go go somchai )

On 5/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, gmac said:

What they actually need to do is get rid of u-turns, install roundabouts in many places instead of traffic lights, stop making people drive an extra 2 kilometres .... locals drive the wrong way down the road to avoid this absurdity.

10 years ago all of the traffic lights in my area were 2 stages, then they changed them all to four stages because of too many accidents (people turning refused to yield).
We have a few roundabouts but most drivers don't use them properly, so that in itself wouldn't solve the problem.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I actually must applaud the Thai for looking outside their borders - something which very rarely happens. 

On the contrary; I think Thais often try to copy the systems of other countries.....poorly.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:19 AM, BobbyL said:

Argh, another great idea that won't be enforced. 

Sadly, this is probably the case.  They may very well "adopt" some new rules and they might even (on a small scale) impose some sort of "points" system and perhaps even suspend a few driving licenses.  In the end the system will fail due to poor enforcement; people who have their licenses suspended will continue to drive anyway.  Sooner or later they will decide the new system has failed and stop even trying.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:16 AM, webfact said:

Follow Japanese traffic laws - that will reduce accidents, Thais urged

Follow anything that will get these dunderheads to understand that driving is a privilege and reckless driving kills.

Archived