Follow Japanese traffic laws - that will reduce accidents, Thais urged

webfact

30 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

And Japanese style respect for fellow man. 

Yeah right. If we hadn’t have dropped an atomic bomb on them they never would have stopped. They only care about Japan.

And Japanese style honor which, unlike Thai who habitually break the rules/law when they think they are not being watched, prevents most (not all) Japanese from law breaking even when they are not being watched. 

Nonsense.

And Japanese style FACE which, unlike Thai style FACE that is generally used to hide behind while doing poor deeds, encourages honorable behavior. 

And Japanese style patriotism which, unlike Thai nationalism, makes Japanese people take real pride in their country. 

And Japanese style education which actually teaches people how to live in a modern society. 

And Japanese style civic education. 

And and and 

When are you moving to Japan? 

I think you will find the Thais are generally much happier.

They don’t really give a stuff about the road deaths. It is just a part of life.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Following Laws ?  That is what Thais cannot do !

That is why countries have a police force - it is a simple concept

Can you imagine the UK roads if police didn't enforce traffic law or vehicle standards - it would be no different - it might be slightly better because the roads signs markings and planning are better  - but ultimately without law enforcement = carnage

1 minute ago, RobMuir said:

Yeah right. If we hadn’t have dropped an atomic bomb on them they never would have stopped. They only care about Japan.

Nonsense.

When are you moving to Japan? 

I think you will find the Thais are generally much happier.

They don’t really give a stuff about the road deaths. It is just a part of life.

I meant that they care about their fellow man: other Japanese. A big improvement from Thai who only seem to care about their immediate family. 

I lived in Japan for 8 years. 

As for Thais being happier than Japanese, who cares. Infants are happier than adults, too. So what. 

Following any laws would improve the situation here. In all of the years I have been here, I have never ONCE seen a highway patrol pull someone over for speeding, or reckless driving. Not once. Just yesterday, I was on the highway, doing about 110kph, and some joker speeded past us doing about 180kph. He was weaving in and out of traffic and creating a real danger and hazard for everyone on the road. Was he pulled over? Was he cited? Of course not.

All the highway patrol do here is respond to accidents. There is no deterrent, no safety, no consciousness of overlooking traffic safety. They literally do not care. Now, if you are speeding they send you a ticket in the mail, or stop you on the road ahead. Barely a deterrent, when it is the same fine for 92kph, as for 182kph.

The real problem is the lack of concern on the part of the authorities. It is only lip service that the nation is receiving. Proclamations, announcements, and more declarations that are never followed up. What has to change is the extreme indifference on the part of the authorities. They do not care about the people. Only the numbers, and the humiliations of remaining the number one country in the world when it comes to road fatalities. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Following any laws would improve the situation here. In all of the years I have been here, I have never ONCE seen a highway patrol pull someone over for speeding, or reckless driving. Not once. Just yesterday, I was on the highway, doing about 110kph, and some joker speeded past us doing about 180kph. He was weaving in and out of traffic and creating a real danger and hazard for everyone on the road. Was he pulled over? Was he cited? Of course not.

All the highway patrol do here is respond to accidents. There is no deterrent, no safety, no consciousness of overlooking traffic safety. They literally do not care. Now, if you are speeding they send you a ticket in the mail, or stop you on the road ahead. Barely a deterrent, when it is the same fine for 92kph, as for 182kph.

The real problem is the lack of concern on the part of the authorities. It is only lip service that the nation is receiving. Proclamations, announcements, and more declarations that are never followed up. What has to change is the extreme indifference on the part of the authorities. They do not care about the people. Only the numbers, and the humiliations of remaining the number one country in the world when it comes to road fatalities. 

Absolutely true but just imagine what carnage would be caused if those Highway patrol police car drivers pursued anyone at speed ? Complete carnage caused by police inability to handle or do anything  with skill.

2 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Work permits granted for Japanese style policemen because that’s obviously a job no Thai can do.

one sentence and so so true, best post on this thread so far

Bring in Japanese laws along with Japanese police to enforce them - show the Thais what real law enforcement looks like

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Absolutely true but just imagine what carnage would be caused if those Highway patrol police car drivers pursued anyone at speed ? Complete carnage caused by police inability to handle or do anything  with skill.

What about a simple road block? The police radio ahead, just like they are currently doing with speeding cars. If you are doing more that 50kph over the limit, your car is confiscated on the spot. Catch a minivan you dummy! And a large fine is imposed, based on the degree over the speed limit, and the degree of recklessness. You get your car back after 30 days, and payment of an additional 10,000 baht over the cost of the ticket. Great inconvenience equals a lesson learned. Maybe.

Word would get around quickly. People would talk. Thought the term is not known here, around the world it is what is known as a deterrent. A reason to not get stupid and reckless. In the US there is a heavy price to be paid for this behavior. Why not here?

big difference is the Japanese police actually go out on the roads and pull people over, thais police refuse to leave the office unless its to collect tea money. Simply by enforcing the current laws the roads would be safer, this is another BS sham that wont even start as the police will simply refuse to enforce it as they do now.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

and knowing how to parallel park does not a driver make.

yes but it does prevent them from scratching a hi-so's Benz.

thais police refuse to leave the office unless its to collect tea money. 

Not been watching on the Chonburi Motorway lately?

Not just the drivers, safer vehicles, more awareness, more consideration, people on the flat bed of a pick up, sitting on vehicle roofs, unsafe loading of cargo, road management, parking, street vendors, street furniture- signs, traffic lights, overhead cabling etc...stricter policing, use of mobile phones,  use of helmets, two or more on a motor bike..not forgetting the Thai mentality mind-set, me me me, first first first.  Fast fast fast !!!

T.I.T I doubt this venture will work, just look at past attempts.. all have failed.

1 hour ago, gmac said:

What they actually need to do is get rid of u-turns, install roundabouts in many places instead of traffic lights, stop making people drive an extra 2 kilometres and back to get to a right turn that could easily have been served by a roundabout.   My own local PTT service station is about 700 metres from my house but since they widened the road to facilitate through traffic it is now an 8 kilometre round trip involving 2 u-turns and a potential long wait at a traffic light.  No wonder locals drive the wrong way down the road to avoid this absurdity.

People jump red lights because of the delays caused by operating them in 4 stages rather than 2, so unnecessary on most junctions.

Educate drivers properly before letting them on the road, a written test and knowing how to parallel park does not a driver make.

I was on a klong road the other day in Hua Hin and the lights turned red. Not a soul about and a very quiet road. Had to wait 80 seconds!! I was fuming

Mindless 

A step in the right direction would be to show (British/drive on the left) public information films or make their own to the same standard between soap operas or during their lottery draw showing 'how to' do anything properly while driving on the left.

Here's one on roundabouts:

How do you take a licence away from someone who doesn't have one? Or if you do take it away how do you prevent them from continuing to drive? Jails are already full to bursting so not sure what penalties you can inflict.

Unless they are asking for the Japanese to invade (should be quick enough, was just a couple of days last time around) and instill Japanese ethics into the maibpenrai natives, all hope is lost.

4 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

As for Thais being happier than Japanese, who cares. Infants are happier than adults, too. So what. 

Happiness is touted as some sort of goal these days. Gotta be pumped full of dopamine 24/7. What I don't understand is why don't they just start shooting up heroin, that's the quickest way.

How about some pride in skills, results of hard work, research and further education instead of faux bliss.

"Laws" are not the problem.  Lack of enforcement is the problem.

Put cops in patrol cars and start pulling drivers over for infractions.  Nothing changes until that happens.  Putting more laws on the books will do nothing.  That plus the fact that the majority of Thai don't have the necessary skills to safely drive on the road.  They don't know how to merge, don't know how to accelerate, don't know how to decelerate and exit the road, don't have a basic understanding of 'right-of-way", and on and on and on.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The implementation of stricter measures regarding the points system and removal of licences was seen as vital. 

Then more people will drive without licenses than they currently do.  Why do people drive without a license?  Because this is little downside.  Get caught, get issued a small fine (400 THB?), get handed a receipt that allows you to drive though any other roadblock for the rest of the day without being fined.  What's possibly wrong with that system, 'eh?

Work in Tokyo quite regularly. There's big difference between there and Bangkok.

Japan enforces laws efficiently and effectively and has competent law enforcement officials.

Here? Well, we all know.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Follow Japanese traffic laws:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Laws laws, whats that?

Nobody here observes any laws, police included.

Exactly Colin , :jap:

Chiang Mai rd to go to Doi Suthep a few years ago; an helmet for him but nothing for his son ..

310219932_PB243750_Chiang_Mai_downtown(Copy).thumb.JPG.3c7fcfe56fa2922fb3fd4aeefa22c1fe.JPG

Just now, Assurancetourix said:

When will we see on the roads of Thailand mobile radars in anonymous cars ... as it exists in France since 2013?

Hopefully not in this lifetime.

Archived