BANGKOK
gunghang

Buriram: Immigration and Expats

OP just a heads up, since you are just moving to Thailand I'm sure your not aware of the TM30 form.

This states that the owner of the property where you stay more than 24hrs will need to register with immigration that you are staying there.

This is an old rule that was ignored but recently started being enforced. Have your wife call immigration and ask them, typically each office has their owns rules (interpretations) same for all govt offices.  

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Also very important NO Family Members !!

When making statements like that you need to be specific.

My witnesses were my wife's niece and uncle.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fishtank said:

You do realise that the bank account has to be in your name only.

I have used a joint bank account for the last 7 years. But thats at CW in BKK. For some reason they require min 1.6M in a joint account. Last extention was a week ago.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

When making statements like that you need to be specific.

My witnesses were my wife's niece and uncle.

Our Immigration (Buriram) told us NO Family members, so that's what I told the OP as he is going to the same Immigration Office, the OP should ask them if he wants to take his wife's niece and uncle just to be sure. We just took people (neighbor and former village chief (NO family ties what so ever) with us, and they were accepted.

It's a waste of time and money to go to Immigration (approx 70km roundtrip for the OP) and to get send away.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ericthai said:

OP just a heads up, since you are just moving to Thailand I'm sure your not aware of the TM30 form.

This states that the owner of the property where you stay more than 24hrs will need to register with immigration that you are staying there.

This is an old rule that was ignored but recently started being enforced. Have your wife call immigration and ask them, typically each office has their owns rules (interpretations) same for all govt offices.  

I'm going to move to Krasang in a few days, but I've spent 17 of the past 25 years in Thailand. In spite of that, I did not know that my wife (our house is in her name) needs to register me with immigration; thanks for that info.

It looks like the day after we arrive will be a four-for-one trip into town to register me, get me a yellow book, touch bases with immigration for latest requirements for a marriage extension, and open a bank account.

This thing about the yellow book (tabien baan). I seem to recall an extra task when I applied in the local amphur office for mine. I needed to supply a confirmation letter from my embassy which stated that I am who I am. My amphur office was very helpful and showed me examples of what was expected. The local kamnan was also involved but it all went smoothly and they all made me feel most welcome.

A post containing offensive language has been reported and removed:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 1:53 AM, MJCM said:

Our Immigration (Buriram) told us NO Family members, so that's what I told the OP as he is going to the same Immigration Office, the OP should ask them if he wants to take his wife's niece and uncle just to be sure. We just took people (neighbor and former village chief (NO family ties what so ever) with us, and they were accepted.

It's a waste of time and money to go to Immigration (approx 70km roundtrip for the OP) and to get send away.

Quite right, as i said you should have been a bit more specific rather than a definitive statement that could be misinterpreted.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:33 AM, MJCM said:

When I moved to Buriram, Kap Choeng Surin was the Immigration I had to deal with, and they wouldn't accept the application if you didn't have a Yellow House book with an address in Buriram.

Having a 'Yellow Book' is not a requirement to obtaining a 'Marriage Extension'. I too used to use the Kap Choeng office before moving to the Buriram office. 

On 5/8/2019 at 3:57 PM, gunghang said:

How does one get a yellow book?  My wife just said I need a work permit. I hope she's wrong about that.

Don't bother it ain't worth the hassle. And you hoped right, your missus is wrong.    😄

• Like 1