Good news for cigarette smokers - less so for those who roll their own

webfact

Good news for cigarette smokers - less so for those who roll their own

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Smokers of regular cigarettes received some good news yesterday when the government decided to delay plans to increase tax by 40% on cigarettes costing around 60 baht a pack. 

The measures would have seen a pack of 20 costing a minimum of 90 -100 baht reported Daily News. 

The increase has been delayed from this October to October 2020.

Meanwhile the government has decided to increase the tax on loose rolling tobacco by twenty times. 

This comes as many people have decided to switch to rolling their own as prices for regular cigarettes go through the roof. 

In a move that Daily News said was part of concerns for public health the tax on rolling tobacco will go up from 0.005 baht per gram to 0.1 baht per gram. 

The government felt that the disparity in tax between regular cigarettes and loose tobacco was too much. 

The move to delay increasing the tax on regular cigarettes is designed to protect the tobacco industry from the impact of price rises in the market and give the industry more time to prepare. 

Thaivisa notes that in this regard the government seems to have put the demands of the industry over their stated aim to bring down the number of smokers and improve the Thais' health as a result. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-08
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that in this regard the government seems to have put the demands of the industry over their stated aim to bring down the number of smokers and improve the Thais' health as a result. 

If this were in any way true, the government would remove the ban on vaping which the NHS (UK) regard as 95% safer than smoking.

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Money first? In Thailand? Surely not?

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

If this were in any way true, the government would remove the ban on vaping which the NHS (UK) regard as 95% safer than smoking.

When the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has its vaping products ready for market, I am sure the government will suddenly see the light.

Just now, darksidedog said:

When the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has its vaping products ready for market, I am sure the government will suddenly see the light.

Can't come soon enough for me. I really need to kick the habit for health reasons. Tried vaping when back in the UK, seemed the ideal means of making the transition to me.

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If only we had an alternative to cigarettes that is more healthy and electronic. 

Try breathing fresh air? works for me 🙂 

Try breathing fresh air? works for me [emoji846] 
Bullshit advice. Thanks for your wisdom.

If they had the health of people in mind they would subsidize ecigs and forbid tobacco junk.

And fix the smog issue... Of course no one cares. Screenshot_20190508_093241_com.airvisual.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The guvmint haven't figured out a way to control and tax vaping yet

Try to buy a packet of ciggies in Oz and see how much it will cost ya, equivalent of 700+ baht here, i love smoking, i have smoked for 50 years, cigarettes, cigars and pipe, alas,  a pleasure i can't afford to continue, too risky...

2 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

The guvmint haven't figured out a way to control and tax vaping yet

Could be the size of the cloud vaping puts out....🤣

Was out with my chum who had a vaping thingy.....How bloody embarrassing, the venue ended up reminding me of the smog in London when I was a kid...😯

43 minutes ago, CGW said:

Try breathing fresh air? works for me 🙂 

you are obviously not in Thailand 

For those none smokers that think passive smoke is harmful, take a long hard look at what you breath into your body from normal air in Thailand - I know what I would be complaining about and it isn't passive cigarette smoke

and a 40% increase is ridiculous on top of the recent huge increases

Archived