ADVICE PLEASE , friend staying 7 months

this morning i have had a text from the UK, my friend has a Thai lady, staying in the UK on the 6 months visa, his question is, they will be coming back to Thailand in late June/early July until January next year, i reckon thats 7 months, what are his best options to attain this. thankyou. ( my undersstanding is, she will then apply for another 6 mionths visa for the UK) thanks in advance--  KC

Tell him to contact his nearest Thai embassy/consulate ref' a one year non Imm multi entry visa.

Means day trip out/in from Thailand every 90 days though. Assuming they are married.

If not married then multi entry tourist visa.

Edited by overherebc

How old is the UK friend, he may qualify for a retire visa. 

Thai lady friend wont give the guy any extra visa options, only whatever tourist visa's he can get.

Edited by Peterw42

no way retired, he is talking about marriage and taking her and here two sons to live in the UK, the lady has to return i presume as her 6 month visa will run out, my take on it is they will return to the uk next january for her on a new 6 month visa

so i get this right, so he gets an METV from the Thai Embassy in Cardiff,  that good for 90 DAYS,? (not correct) then a border hop say to cambodia, does he get another METV on his re entry. i dont want to give him wrong info. i think during those months here he should be planning to get the marriage info, i have just read on the UK site that an METV Tourist Visa is good for 60 DAYS, so can he get a 30 DAY extension  (90 days) then do a border run after

Edited by mercman24

6 month METV. 60 days on arrival extent at immigration 30 days. Visa run on re- enter 60 days. extend again 30 days  another visa run just before visa expires 60 days on re-enter equal 9 months. But a pain.

• Like 1

thank you CAINE well explained, just one thing i am not sure about, does he have to show a flight out ( i imagine the METV covers this) and the 20,000 has to be baht or can it be in UK pounds equilivent,

He should be made aware that the current visa laws, but more so, their implementation, are not so stable at the moment. 

He'll have no trouble getting the visa, and getting in, it's his subsequent applications and entry, months from now, that can not be guaranteed.

He should have a contingency for this. 

1 minute ago, Benroon said:

Have current visa laws been affected in any way that affects METV's ?

Its an METV - why would he have problems with entries within that ? What's to 'implement' ?

They are the least troublesome right ? infact I'm stumped as to why more people don't use them (barring the 90 day mini holidays)

Sure, no problem.  He can get ten of them, all back to back.  ????

No one knows what will be 3 months from now, and into the near future.  

The guy should not be given advice that his second visa and entry are for certain.

Just look at the notice they gave about the new laws. Not long at all.

He will most likely be fine.  All I am saying is, he should have a contingency plan for denied entry, or unable to secure the second visa.  

Visa running is no longer predictable. 

57 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Sure, no problem.  He can get ten of them, all back to back.  ????

No one knows what will be 3 months from now, and into the near future.  

The guy should not be given advice that his second visa and entry are for certain.

He will most likely be fine.  All I am saying is, he should have a contingency plan for denied entry, or unable to secure the second visa.  

Visa running is no longer predictable. 

"He can get 10 of em, all back to back" Rubbish.

Read some reports of setv and METV refused entry at bangkok airports. Yes visas.

Sorry Leaver, I just read rest of Leaver post.

He will need correct visa to guarantee back to back METV. And keeping gf company is not one of them.

Edited by DrJack54
Error

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

"He can get 10 of em, all back to back" Rubbish.

Read some reports of setv and METV refused entry at bangkok airports. Yes visas.

Obviously, sarcasm.  Note the laughing face at the end of that comment. 

You are correct.  Many denied entry.  The guy should not be advised that he can just easily re enter some months from now, because it is not for certain.  

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, mercman24 said:

no way retired, he is talking about marriage and taking her and here two sons to live in the UK, the lady has to return i presume as her 6 month visa will run out, my take on it is they will return to the uk next january for her on a new 6 month visa

Is your friend working or self employed?

METV.

For Multiple Entries (stay up to 60 days for each entry within the period of 6 months)

A current passport with validity of over 6 months beyond the date of application  and at least 2 blank pages

Visa application form completely filled out

Two (2) recent photos of the applicant

Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank

A letter from the applicant's employer (in the UK and addressed to the Royal Thai Embassy)
        If you are self-employed, you self-assessment and a company registration document are required.

A photocopy of the confirmed air ticket to Thailand

A photocopy of the hotel reservation confirmation in Thailand

If he's planning to take her and the kids back to live the UK in January, then he needs more than the standard Visitor Visa. How old are the kids?

Edited by Tanoshi

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

If he can get a METV he doesn't need another Visa.

He can enter Visa exempt 30 days + 30 extension.

2 x Visa exempt entries by land are permitted in a year.

14 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Still would like to know why anyone would be refused with a valid METV at BKK ?

Typically for non existent reasons.

Or a not having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash.

Or not having a ticket out of the country that is not really required if you have a valid visa for entry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I needed most of those but didn't need photocopies of air tickets or hotel reservations when applying at London embassy

Still would like to know why anyone would be refused with a valid METV at BKK ?

I never made any comment regarding refusal of entry.

Indeed with his history provided he can get the METV he will have no problem entering.

After his METV expires he also shouldn't have any problem doing a border run a getting a Visa exempt entry, which he could also extend for 30 days.

17 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

If he can get a METV he doesn't need another Visa.

He can enter Visa exempt 30 days + 30 extension.

2 x Visa exempt entries by land are permitted in a year.

Sure, very doable, but like I said, if he's new in the game, he should be advised to have a contingency plan, because several months from now, who know what immigration will be accepting, and not accepting. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Benroon said:

Refused because ? 

I did a search found nothing - what would be the reason someone with a METV that is being complied with correctly would be refused entry ? genuine question

Back to back METV's. 

Several recent reports on TV about this, despite having a visa.

His first entry will be no problem, but after that, he has the appearance of "living here" yes, there's those words again, "living here" and that could cause some subsequent re entry issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

to ubonjoe, one of the posters say £5000, when i thought one had to show 20,000 baht which is in fact £500 (£480) can you confirm this please

For the METV it is 5000 pounds in a bank for 6 months.

"Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It seems to indicate he will able to to meet the requirements for a METV application.

Like I said, the first METV is no problem.  No problem at all.  

BUT, as he is a newbie, the OP should inform this guy of the possibility of not receiving a second visa, or being denied entry.

i only say this as a precautionary measure.  Not that it is a certainty.  In all probability, he will be fine, but TiT.

Whilst he doesn't have a long history in his passport, 7 months, in the current climate, may cause an issue, and he should be given advice for that. 

This is all I am saying. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mercman24 said:

to ubonjoe, one of the posters say £5000, when i thought one had to show 20,000 baht which is in fact £500 (£480) can you confirm this please

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For the METV it is 5000 pounds in a bank for 6 months.

"Original bank statement of the applicant showing a balance of at least £5,000 (for 6 months) or a print out with official stamp of the bank"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84451-Tourist-Visa.html

The 20,000 baht or equivalent is when entering Thailand if requested.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Typically for non existent reasons.

Or a not having the equivalent of 20k baht in cash.

Or not having a ticket out of the country that is not really required if you have a valid visa for entry

And notably with regard to the second non-reason, despite the traveler being bounced already having 20k baht (or equivalent) cash in hand, recent posts indicate that crafty IO's are specifically NOT asking to see that cash. This is so they can use the "insufficient funds" rejection which is the easiest one to apply without it being challenged. Their logic: didn't ask so didn't see, therefore it doesn't exist.

As several members have suggested, the first METV-enabled entries and extension should be a formality. But the OP's friend should have a contingency plan and be prepared for possibly being questioned on entering with any subsequent regionally obtained SETV and almost definitely being questioned on any subsequent visa-exempt re-entries. With regard to worst-case scenarios of being denied entry on a border run, pretty much the only thing the OP's friend can do is be prepared for that entry denial. This includes being able to either purchase or change the dates at short notice on an outward/onward ticket. This requires having free access to the internet (make sure the smartphone is topped up with a valid data package), keeping good communications and ensuring the understanding of his partner (if she's stressed out, the bounced traveler will be even more so) and have cash and credit cards.

Oh yes, and a change of clothes!

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And notably with regard to the second non-reason, despite the traveler being bounced already having 20k baht (or equivalent) cash in hand, recent posts indicate that crafty IO's are specifically NOT asking to see that cash. This is so they can use the "insufficient funds" rejection which is the easiest one to apply without it being challenged. Their logic: didn't ask so didn't see, therefore it doesn't exist.

As several members have suggested, the first METV-enabled entries and extension should be a formality. But the OP's friend should have a contingency plan and be prepared for possibly being questioned on entering with any subsequent regionally obtained SETV and almost definitely being questioned on any subsequent visa-exempt re-entries. With regard to worst-case scenarios of being denied entry on a border run, pretty much the only thing the OP's friend can do is be prepared for that entry denial. This includes being able to either purchase or change the dates at short notice on an outward/onward ticket. This requires having free access to the internet (make sure the smartphone is topped up with a valid data package), keeping good communications and ensuring the understanding of his partner (if she's stressed out, the bounced traveler will be even more so) and have cash and credit cards.

Oh yes, and a change of clothes!

I totally agree.

He should be well informed, and prepared, for the possibility of not being allowed to re enter. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2019 at 11:20 AM, Benroon said:

Refused because ? 

I did a search found nothing - what would be the reason someone with a METV that is being complied with correctly would be refused entry ? genuine question

POST #22...

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1099461-red-warning-stamp-on-3rd-vientiane-tourist-visa/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14132596

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

I totally agree.

He should be well informed, and prepared, for the possibility of not being allowed to re enter. 

This is only a concern if entering at non law-abiding entry points such as the Bangkok airports.  The land-borders (all but Poipet) follow the law - and denial of entry for "here too much before" is not valid.  So far, we are not seeing reports of denied-entry to those with valid Tourist Visas at Chiang Mai airport, either.  So, as long as his out/ins, and future Visa entries use safe entry points, being denied-entry is not a concern.