Big tax increases for motorcycle riders - severe curbs on second hand car imports

webfact

I'm certain we all know, those of us upcountry, that many, if not most motorcycles are registered only when purchased and never after.  So this tax only looks good on paper - in reality nothing will change.  Motorcyclists will continue driving, unregistered and unlicensed!

And totally untouched by the local bobbies!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Cadbury said:

So where do they go to find the tax? Not the disgustingly rich 1% who get around in their luxury cars and chauffeur driven limousines? No, that might upset their "connected" friends and under the table benefactors. Instead they go to the people who can least afford it and rely so heavily on scooters and similar modes of transport.

The stone-hearted wealthy junta generals once again show how little they care for those less fortunate than themselves.

Calm down mate. luxury cars in Thailand have huge taxes on them. If they have a chauffeur they are employing someone.

Why are rich “disgusting” ? We do a lot more for you poor people than you do for us. 

And you would be paying more tax if we didn’t subsidize you so much, paying for your hospitals and schools.

1 minute ago, RobMuir said:

Calm down mate. luxury cars in Thailand have huge taxes on them. If they have a chauffeur they are employing someone.

Why are rich “disgusting” ? We do a lot more for you poor people than you do for us. 

And you would be paying more tax if we didn’t subsidize you so much, paying for your hospitals and schools.

Two things:

1. I am not your "mate" so please don't be so impolite to refer to me as such. If you wish to call me anything you may respectfully call me Mr. Cadbury.

2. The rich are NOT necessarily "disgusting" but I suspect many of them would be, including one very visible toad like general. It is their money that is disgusting. It is the "disgusting" money of the 1% that owns 69% of the wealth in Thailand. Presumably you think that is fair enough for the other 99%.

32 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Reminds me of this,  are you from Birmingham.  :giggle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Kum8OUTuk

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Put the cost of road tax on the Fuel.

Problem goes away. 

well that one anyway. :giggle:

Ehm they upped the taxes for gasoline two times in a week last month. Can't have missed that if you use a car or bike? 

19 hours ago, Toknarok said:

The answer is of course to get yourself an electric mobility scooter. I roll around quite happily on mine, often accompanied by my dog.

No road tax and no insurance. No need to wear a helmet and 3 or 4 wheels are infinitely safer than two. No noisy exhaust, no air polluting emissions, and with the new lithium batteries they have a surprising range, a quite a good performance (some will do 40kph which is quite enough for running around the town.

I predict more and morepeople will get these eco-friendly machines. Then of course if they get too popular the bloody Govt. will find a way to tax them.

As long as the electricity for charging is produced in power plants which are burning coal or gas it is not eco friendly at all. Let's  not talk about the manufacturing of the battery. 

Just another ongoing scheme, by an intellectually bankrupt administration, that has just stolen another five years from the people. God help this nation. Another five years of this gross incompetence, and this nation may be a pale shadow of it's former self. I guess in life sometimes we get what we deserve. After all, the Thai people did allow the army to change the constitution, and steal 250 senators. That was a mistake of historic proportions. The nation could be paying for that, for decades to come. They must figure out a way to get the army out of their lives. They have no business running a nation, and it is all about the money.

23 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I currently pay 100 Baht + 100 Baht for road taxing my 500cc + 150cc bikes. Looks like this is going to increase considerably.

And it has been like that for 36 years to my knowledge. 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:49 AM, holy cow cm said:

Here it comes as expected. Current self imposed government has run all the money to its course for even regarding the 20yr malarkey plan, and now its time to tax the common people on all levels. Just wait. 2020 is going to slap in the face.

somebody has to pay for all the family and relatives of the new appointed junta

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

It is the "disgusting" money of the 1% that owns 69% of the wealth in Thailand. Presumably you think that is fair enough for the other 99%.

Is it really different in USA by example ? Forbes:

"The 3 richest Americans hold more wealth than bottom 50% of the country"

“Our wealthiest 400 now have more wealth combined than the bottom 64 per cent of the US population” ...

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Put the cost of road tax on the Fuel.

Problem goes away. 

well that one anyway. :giggle:

That's what you would have to do if you were genuinely concerned about emissions....

Then the tax would relate to use, something the UK gov can't get it's head round either...

3 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Two things:

1. I am not your "mate" so please don't be so impolite to refer to me as such. If you wish to call me anything you may respectfully call me Mr. Cadbury.

2. The rich are NOT necessarily "disgusting" but I suspect many of them would be, including one very visible toad like general. It is their money that is disgusting. It is the "disgusting" money of the 1% that owns 69% of the wealth in Thailand. Presumably you think that is fair enough for the other 99%.

If the lazy 99% got off their smartphones and did something they might not be poor mate. 

The “disgusting” rich pay all the taxes for the poor masses who often pay nothing. The poor should be grateful.

1 hour ago, johnwf1963 said:

That's what you would have to do if you were genuinely concerned about emissions....

Then the tax would relate to use, something the UK gov can't get it's head round either...

But  the cost of fuel in the UK is already 80% tax, according to the petrol companies.

The government has a "different" figure.

When you look at rising Household Debt in Thailand coupled with ever increasing prices in Supermarkets, low wages, higher taxes etc etc then add to that the newly 'engineered' Government that the people didn't vote for doing nothing to stop the constant Pollution, little to correct the appalling Education System etc etc.........you can see trouble ahead....big trouble !     When i don't know...but it's coming for sure.

When you look at rising Household Debt in Thailand coupled with ever increasing prices in Supermarkets, low wages, higher taxes etc etc then add to that the newly 'engineered' Government that the people didn't vote for doing nothing to stop the constant Pollution, little to correct the appalling Education System etc etc.........you can see trouble ahead....big trouble !     When i don't know...but it's coming for sure.

I’ve been saying that for over a decade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/8/2019 at 12:49 AM, Cadbury said:

So where do they go to find the tax? Not the disgustingly rich 1% who get around in their luxury cars and chauffeur driven limousines? No, that might upset their "connected" friends and under the table benefactors. Instead they go to the people who can least afford it and rely so heavily on scooters and similar modes of transport.

The stone-hearted wealthy junta generals once again show how little they care for those less fortunate than themselves.

Sounds like a familiar gameplan, being practiced all over the world.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:36 AM, mercman24 said:

total idiots, try starting with those buses that belch out toxics all over BANGKOK , i bet one bus pollutes more air than 50 scooters

... and for most of the day, those buses are fairly empty. Why so many of 'em are in operation during off-peak times is beyond me! 

When I watch several Diesel Pickups a day running down the road with all kinds of tuner stickers on them, and belching out black smoke that can be seen for miles behind them, I am pretty sure enforcement is nonexistent.

OK, after reading another news website, my 2018 SV650 would fall under the 500cc-1000cc current excise tax rate of 8%, but if they use the new system of CO2 (g/Km) where my SV650 is rated at 89 g/km, then it would have fallen into a new lower excise tax rate of 5%?! 

The big change seems to be to testing all vehicles, where most locally built under 150cc motorcycles escaped any tax in the past, so a hit against the poor?

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:49 PM, holy cow cm said:

Here it comes as expected. Current self imposed government has run all the money to its course for even regarding the 20yr malarkey plan, and now its time to tax the common people on all levels. Just wait. 2020 is going to slap in the face.

Sadly I think you are correct.  Even the article used the term "Government coffers", which is rarely used in a positive sense.  General Treasury which is somewhat accountable in many countries doesn't seem to exist or be readily transparent in Thailand.  I mean who would even want the job of auditing a junta's government?  What answer do you think they would want!

Archived