Italian men, both 70, still behind bars pending trial for fishing in national park

webfact

Italian men, both 70, still behind bars pending trial for fishing in national park

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1557293389_1-org.jpg

The speedboat was found on the east side of Huyong Island with one person fishing and a haul of 46.5kg already landed on board. Photo: DNP

PHUKET: Two Italian men, both 70 years old, have spent the past three weeks in detention cells at Phang Nga Provincial Court while still waiting for formal charges to be brought against them for fishing in a national park.

Italian nationals Claudio Bonfatti and Mario Vincenzo Biccai were arrested by park officers on Apr 17 when they were caught fishing on a boat off Huyong Island, located within at the Similans National Park.

Also arrested were boat captain Sansern Klasuek and Phuket tour and fishing guide Prasert Kuansamrong, both 35, along with boat mechanic Wichart Damyot, 52, and Myanmar national crewman Ten Si Tu, 27.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/italian-men-both-70-still-behind-bars-pending-trial-for-fishing-in-national-park-71346.php#v1EehfopdVB36sYE.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-05-08

Either they were just taken to an area fishing by the operator of the boat they hired and knew nothing or they planned an illicit fishing trip in a National Park and are now paying for their crime. They won't fare too well in Thai custody in either case at that age though.

27 minutes ago, webfact said:

Two Italian men, both 70 years old, have spent the past three weeks in detention cells

I'm thinking at their age they should have known better. A snip from the article states... Already landed on board were 115 fish, including needlefish, barracuda, northern bluefin tuna and shovelhead catfishes, among others. 

However, he did clarify that Mr Prasert will not be facing charges related him working as Phuket tour guide as he believes that Mr Prasert was not working as a tour guide when he was arrested.

Crapola. He is a local fishing guide. What would he be doing on the boat if he wasn't paid for it, checking out European lures?

I have asked for them to be denied posting bail while the investigation continues. Now they are being held in the cells at Phang Nga Provincial Court,” Col Korkiet said.

Catching a couple of ordiary fish, compared to go hunting for endangered species like black panters, and get away with it. Pathetic!

115 fish?? Please that is not just a day out.

Someone or all of the crew were going to benefit from this not just the two older blokes

Why three weeks to lay charges? 

1 hour ago, Lucius verus said:

Its all about money. Pay the cops and go home. Simple.

Same as the black panther poacher.

Don't pay and you stay in jail.

I think you are bang on with that remark.

while still waiting for formal charges to be brought against them for fishing in a national park.

No charges yet.

How long can people be detained without being charged?

36 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

115 fish?? Please that is not just a day out.

Someone or all of the crew were going to benefit from this not just the two older blokes

Why three weeks to lay charges? 

still awaiting a cash settlement. To late once it goes to court

46 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

115 fish taken from a national park. Why did they need that many?

These old Italians are paying for their greed

I am happy they are in jail.

My guess is that they paid money for a fishing trip which included a local fishing guide (who for some reason wasn't guilty according to the police). I don't understand why you use the word greed, do you think their plan was to sell the catch at the local market to cover the fishing trip? If you cared to read the link, you'd know that they were using 29 fishing rods. Don't you think that the 'crew' had something to do with this?

115 fish!!!!  The lake only had 116 fish.  anyhow, in most countries this is pretty serious.  i say fine them 300,000 so they really remember their crime, and blacklist for 10-years.  maybe they kidnapped the operator, so they should pay him for his time.  10,000 each should do it.  then i need to know what kind of fish.  if special protected fish, 100,000 fine per fish.  look, i'm a vegan and from italy and many romans have now cancelled their trip to LOS because our citizens have ruined us......

To me this whole story stinks.

I think these farangs had no idea they were in illegal waters and this, scam artist, Lt Col Korkiet Boonrod of the Kuraburi Police smells the most! 

22 minutes ago, XenZen said:

115 fish!!!!  The lake only had 116 fish.  anyhow, in most countries this is pretty serious.  i say fine them 300,000 so they really remember their crime, and blacklist for 10-years.  maybe they kidnapped the operator, so they should pay him for his time.  10,000 each should do it.  then i need to know what kind of fish.  if special protected fish, 100,000 fine per fish.  look, 

Damn good idea as a penalty .

What about the "captain"{ inverted commas because a real captain would know) that it was a National Park and that everything was protected.  

Should not confiscate his boat unless he has substantial assets, as his family may suffer.

I like fishing, although I haven't been sea fishing in many years. I could see myself answering an advertisement offering fishing trips and think nothing of going out to sea on such a trip. I would assume that the captain would know where we can or cannot fish and would take the boat to the right place.  Is it really my duty to ask him where he will be taking the boat and then for me to check whether it is in a national park or not? Surely, I shouldn't be expected to do that. 

Similar to jungle trekking, when you pay to join a trek are you expected to check whether the route passes through anywhere it should not. Isn't that the job of the trek leader/operator?   

But 29 rods? That really doesn't sound like the sport of fishing I know. 

In civilized countries you get fined for such activities and the police knows what laws you have violated. Here they have no clue and send you to jail. This is here the point and makes TH a banana republic.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived