Italian men, both 70, still behind bars pending trial for fishing in national park

webfact

If there weren't 115 fish involved, I'd say to place the blame solely and directly on the boat owner/operator and assume the Italians should be able to rely on their Thai guides to know the laws and territorial boundaries. I suspect the excessive haul was deemed offensive, and I agree that it is, but that's what the charges should be limited too -- only what's over the limit and what's endangered. As for fishing in illegal water, charge those who agreed to take the foreigners fishing for a fee. They take on a legal responsibility once they accept payment. 

As for being incarcerated for 3 weeks and still not facing any formal charges, that's complete and utter crap. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Also arrested were boat captain Sansern Klasuek and Phuket tour and fishing guide Prasert Kuansamrong, both 35, along with boat mechanic Wichart Damyot, 52, and Myanmar national crewman Ten Si Tu, 27.

Gotta feeling this won't end well for the Burmese guy, regardless of how it goes for the Italians or the Thais...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, RobMuir said:

115 fish taken from a national park. Why did they need that many?

These old Italians are paying for their greed. 

I am happy they are in jail.

Two old boys in jail for three weeks just for catching fish and you're glad!

You've also gotta be sick and twisted.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:01 AM, SOTIRIOS said:

...so much not right about this.....

...where are the embassies now....???

...putting out advisories....???

Embassies don't have any interest in those charged with crimes.

They won't help them, other than notify the families.

Advisories? Because 2 people were arrested poaching? 

"We hereby advise you that Thailand will jail you if you fish in the national parks!"

Such advisories are already posted in the "long jail sentences..."comments, ect...

I will say tho, pretty heartless to lock up senior citizens for nearly a month with no charges.

That sounds criminal to me...

Archived